3rd Trimester

Elective Induction

What is your opinion about them? I'm on the fence if I want to keep my induction date (after my due date) or trying to hold out for natural labor. I've been reading a lot about increased c-section rates and other complications that go along with elective inductions and it really freaks me out. But what if by the time my body goes into labor, she's too big to fit out?! Or I get a 4th degree tear Indifferent Ugh, what are your thoughts?

ETA: And does anyone know if insurance handles it differently if the induction is elective? Or will they cover the same?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Elective Induction

• Have you made any progress yet? I had a wonderful induction with my daughter. But do what feels right for you! It's your birth, do it your way!
  • My feeling is that babies will come when they are ready, and inductions should be reserved for cases in which they are medically necessary.  Period.  Just because you go a week or more past your due date does not mean that you are going to end up with an 11 lb baby that will rip you from end to end.  It is EXTREMELY rare that you will gestate a baby that is too big for your body to birth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are healthy and the baby is healthy you really shouldn't be considering induction until 41 weeks and the maybe waiting up to 42 if you do daily testing and everything seems healthy.  Like you said the c-section rate is higher and in all honesty pitocin makes contractions so much worse (trust me I had it last time).  Don't worry about your LO being too big, the pelvis can can widen by a third during labor and tearing can be bad for a million reasons unrelated directly to the baby's size.  But honestly I would prefer a 4th degree tear any day compared to an election induction which turns into a c-section.  Just my two cents.
  • Induction is great because you know what and when to expect things.  If you are naturally preogressing (dialated at all), I think being induced is a good idea but if no progression I would probably wait! 
  • ames71ames71 member
    I'm four days overdue, so I definitely understand the temptation. I'm trying to avoid a c-section too, so I'm going to hold out as long as I can. If he doesn't come on his own by next Wednesday, my doctor and I will discuss options after an ultrasound to see how he's doing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagedrewiekc:
      Just because you go a week or more past your due date does not mean that you are going to end up with an 11 lb baby that will rip you from end to end.  It is EXTREMELY rare that you will gestate a baby that is too big for your body to birth.

My sister went a week over and her baby BARELY fit through the birth canal and she had a 4th degree tear.

To PP: I'm progressing, I was 2 cm at my last appt. and I've been contracting every day

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Being post dates also increases risk of c/s. I think that studies show the rates to be similar after 41 weeks (both in inductions and waiting out natural labor). I am scheduled for induction saturday. Had u/s to check fluid level today and it's low, baby getting bigger, and so I'm on board for the induction. I have NO signs labor though, hope to not end with a section, but realize it's a significant possibility 
  • imageaewood97:
    Being post dates also increases risk of c/s. I think that studies show the rates to be similar after 41 weeks (both in inductions and waiting out natural labor). I am scheduled for induction saturday. Had u/s to check fluid level today and it's low, baby getting bigger, and so I'm on board for the induction. I have NO signs labor though, hope to not end with a section, but realize it's a significant possibility 

Good point, I didn't really think about that. Good luck on Saturday, hopefully everything goes as planned and you don't need a c/s! I love the name Maclaren by the way, I saw your post about it the other day but didn't have time to comment. I think you should stick with it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ames71ames71 member

imageaewood97:
    Being post dates also increases risk of c/s. I think that studies show the rates to be similar after 41 weeks (both in inductions and waiting out natural labor). I am scheduled for induction saturday. Had u/s to check fluid level today and it's low, baby getting bigger, and so I'm on board for the induction. I have NO signs labor though, hope to not end with a section, but realize it's a significant possibility 

Is that due to size? 

• Everyone that I personally know who was induced had to have a c-section... have you tried natural ways to start labor? In the end though do what you feel is right and personally I too wouldnt wait till I was over 40weeks my hubby was 21inches and weighed 10lbs when he was born and he was right on time.... this is his son and I cant imagiane having a baby anywhere near that size especially since I am going all natural!!! I'm hopeing that my tinyness as a baby and my mom being 2 weeks early balances the playing feild! I hope you go into labor soon o and I heard that the red rasberry leaf tea is effective.
  • Induction doesn't = c-section. It is correlated, but does that even mean it's causal? Maybe women who wond up with inductions were more likely to need a c-section anyway? I would like to avoid an induction for the same reason as the pp- the pitocin makes the contractions harder. I was in labor with dd when my blood pressure shot up and I was given cervidil and piticon to speed things up. Actually the cervidil was worse. But many women have had inductions with out the same experience. 
  • CamFamCamFam member

I am getting induced tonight and definitely feel it is more important for LO to come out now than to wait and let myself go into labor (or not) on my own.

He's almost 10 days late and I'm not showing signs of doing this on my own. My doctor considers it medically necessary, so insurance covers it the same.

I know several women who went into a "perfect labor" on their own: water breaks, timeable contractions, progressed a cm an hour, only to stall at the end or have baby not be able to fit through and ended up with a c/s.

This is just my opinion, though!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageames17:

imageaewood97:

Is that due to size? 

Once the baby is actually full term, the body reduces the amount of fluid in the amniotic sac; that is what the baby breathes in to survive (I think) and is also the main cushion for baby in the womb, so losing too much fluid is bad. I think someone had posted a month or two ago about a friend (and this may be MUD, I was new then) who was 20 days past due date before being induced because they and their doc wanted to go into natural labor, and the baby had passed away a week or so before or something. Sorry, I may not have details right on that, but I guess ever since I read that, I have really been worried about waiting too long past due date no matter how badly I want to go through everything naturally.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• ames71ames71 member
    imageKitiara0364:
    imageames17:

imageaewood97:

Is that due to size? 

Once the baby is actually full term, the body reduces the amount of fluid in the amniotic sac; that is what the baby breathes in to survive (I think) and is also the main cushion for baby in the womb, so losing too much fluid is bad. I think someone had posted a month or two ago about a friend (and this may be MUD, I was new then) who was 20 days past due date before being induced because they and their doc wanted to go into natural labor, and the baby had passed away a week or so before or something. Sorry, I may not have details right on that, but I guess ever since I read that, I have really been worried about waiting too long past due date no matter how badly I want to go through everything naturally.

I was actually wondering about why she said that waiting increases the chance for a c-section as much as inducing does. I just hadn't heard that before and was wondering where she got that info.

That's a frightening story though. 20 days past due date is crazy and most certainly bad for the baby. 

• I'm as anti elective induction as they get.  I had to be induced for medical reasons w/DD, and while I was one of the 'lucky' ones (I didn't have a C-Section), it was something I'd never wish on anyone to go through.  Honestly, I have no idea why someone would choose this option if not medically necessary.
  • I'm in a similar situation. I have my appointment tomorrow and have to decide whether or not I want to be induced next week. I am planning to tell the doctor that I want to wait and let the baby come on her own if possible as long as we are both healthy.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had inductions with my first two babies, (pitocin) and it pretty much made labor unbearable. I had plans to have no pain medication, but once I felt the strength of the contractions, I quickly changed my mind and got the epidural both times!

With my 3rd and 4th babies, I started labor on my own at home, and I was able to get through both deliveries with no drugs at all. It was so empowering! I felt like I had conquered the world. If I had known how much easier labor was going to be if I could hold out and just wait for it, I certainly would have! The duration was much less, also, without being induced-of course I think this is the general rule for subsequent labors, induced or not.

If you can, try to hold out. You WILL go into labor, no, you will NOT be pregnant forever, and your body is made to do this, all by itself, despite what medical pro's will tell you. Trust your body and your baby. Good luck. It's an adventure, and you will love it!

• While I have heard many wonderful induction stories (my sister had 3 perfect inductions) I would like to stay as far away from induction as I can.  I went to 41 weeks with DD before I went into labor and I plan to go into labor on my own this time too.  Induction just isn't something I would like to do but I don't see an issue with anyone else doing one.  (as long as it's after baby is full term and healthy)
  • I chose to be induced on my due date. I loved it! This gave me time to pack my bag and get a good nights sleep. I went in on a friday morning fresh and ready to have my baby, and that also gave me the weekend in the hospital, so more family was able to come and visit on their day off :) I think everyone has their own opinion on what they want, and it is really a personal choice. I chose not to be pregnant past 40 weeks, but I understand the reasoning on wanting to go into labor naturally.
  • I'm being induced at 37 weeks due to me being so small and him being SO BIG he is already 6+ and will more than likely be 8-8.5 at the time he is born. I know that is does increase my chance of a c/s being induced but i know if i went to 40 weeks he'd be to big.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
  • I was induced at 41 weeks and honestly it was rough BUT I have nothing to compare it to. You hear some people say it was unbearable but when it's not compared to a 'normal' delivery how does one know that it is any worse then going naturally.

Looking back, I probably would have gone on my own  for my water broke without intervention and they took me off the pitocin since I was contracting on my own. Honestly, I would listen to my doctor and do what is best. I don't think waiting it out because one doesn't want to get induced is always the best option anyways.

• I'm against elective (without a medical reason) inductions for anything before 41 weeks. After that point, though, just being past dates does begin to become a medical concern, so I don't necessarily make it quite as "elective" in my mind. There's more danger to going past due than just a big baby--the placenta starts to break down, the baby is more likely to pass (and then aspirate) meconium. Still, unless there were indications of issues with the baby, I probably wouldn't go for an induction before 41 weeks.

However, if you do decide to induce before then, the fact that you're already starting to dilate makes a successful induction more likely. Google "Bishop's Score" and it will help you get an idea of what factors into a good chance at a successful induction.

As far as insurance, I would call and ask them what they require to cover an induction. Some may not cover it unless THEY deem it necessary, others may be willing to take the doctor's orders as enough proof. I think for most insurances, just being past the due date is good enough reason for induction.

Ella is finally here!
    Elizabeth Anne Born 08/18/10; 7lb. 4.5 oz; 20" long

• :lurking:

I just wanted to say that I was electively induced at 39 weeks. Everything went perfectly and DD was healthy, but I deeply regret it even now. 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• imageMrsRDub05:

imageaewood97:

Good point, I didn't really think about that. Good luck on Saturday, hopefully everything goes as planned and you don't need a c/s! I love the name Maclaren by the way, I saw your post about it the other day but didn't have time to comment. I think you should stick with it!

Thanks for the compliment on the name! We haven't had further discussion, so sticking with it!

To those asking about being post dates increasing c/s risk, I found a study that I can't cite because I don't have it on me that concluded no difference in C/S rate in post dates waiting for natural labor vs induction FOR post dates.

• Seriously? I have been on 3rd tri too long. It's typically a first time Mom weeks from her due date lecturing on when an induction should be scheduled. I do like it when people who have had them weigh in, but it's annoying when someone who hasn't hit 30 weeks is explaining how terrible they are for you and baby.

IMO, any time after your due date, if your doc is willing and it's what you want, it's totally your choice. There  is an increased risk of c-section if you don't have good progress prior, but if you're willing to accept that, then that's for you to decide. (And ditto PPs--being overdue in general increases c-section risk, as well).

I'm really trying to hold out because I still would like to go med free, but that's entirely my choice. And if I'm in this situation next week, I'm not sure I'll still have a lot of choice left, haha. And currently being overdue, I can tell you I 100% see why a lot of women would take a post-date induction as soon as offered.

• imageames17:
    I'm four days overdue, so I definitely understand the temptation. I'm trying to avoid a c-section too, so I'm going to hold out as long as I can. If he doesn't come on his own by next Wednesday, my doctor and I will discuss options after an ultrasound to see how he's doing.

This is exactly my course of action, too, right down to the days. As baby looks to be an average size (and the NST and BPP results are good so far), I'll probably wait on the induction until as close to 42 weeks as they'll let me go and hope I go on my own before then. But I wouldn't want to go more than a day or 2 past 42 weeks (per ACOG recommendations).

• imageKitiara0364:

I know someone probably posted it, but this MUST be MUD. When you're post-dates they do twice weekly NSTs and BPPs (monitoring baby's heart rate, size, and fluid level), they'd know if something was wrong with the baby.  The only way stuff like this happens is when a person doesn't get prenatal care at all.

• imageKitiara0364:

Once the baby is actually full term, the body reduces the amount of fluid in the amniotic sac; that is what the baby breathes in to survive (I think) and is also the main cushion for baby in the womb, so losing too much fluid is bad.

Just wanted to add that the amniotic fluid is NOT what the baby "breathes in to survive". The baby gets all oxygen and nutrients from the placenta. Babies can survive with zero amniotic fluid- it's not GOOD for them because it does serve to develop the lungs, but it's not like air to us.

• imageAleciaMarie:
    imageKitiara0364:

Once the baby is actually full term, the body reduces the amount of fluid in the amniotic sac; that is what the baby breathes in to survive (I think) and is also the main cushion for baby in the womb, so losing too much fluid is bad.

Just wanted to add that the amniotic fluid is NOT what the baby "breathes in to survive". The baby gets all oxygen and nutrients from the placenta. Babies can survive with zero amniotic fluid- it's not GOOD for them because it does serve to develop the lungs, but it's not like air to us.

LOL. Ditto this. They're not amphibious creatures that miraculously start breathing air upon birth or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"