Potty Training
Options

Out of crib before PTing?

DS is still in a crib, I am going to make the transition, but have avoided it since he does so well in the crib.  Should I move him before potty training or is it ok to wait until after.... or can I do all the same week? I am asking b/c I had not planned on moving him to a toddler bed, but he is really ready to potty train and I am going to do the 3 day next week since we have no other plans.

Re: Out of crib before PTing?

• Options

I don't know that is will make that much of a difference if you keep his bdrm door shut anyway. DD has been in a toddler bed for 4mos now and we just PTd 1.5wks ago. I keep her door shut and if she needs to pee she knocks on the door and calls for us.

ETA: In a sense, her room is her crib now.

• Options

DS is still in his crib. We have chosen to focus on PTing for the day only for now. From what I have read, some kids just aren't ready to PT at night. DS goes a lot at night and I don't think he even knows it. We'll tackle that later when he starts to show signs that he can hold it overnight. We put him in a diaper at night and then put him on the potty when he wakes up.

ETA: He wears the training undies during the day.

Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not do them together. I'd do the bed transition first (to prevent possible PT regression later if changing the bed is stressful...)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagethomas&lynn:

I don't know that is will make that much of a difference if you keep his bdrm door shut anyway. DD has been in a toddler bed for 4mos now and we just PTd 1.5wks ago. I keep her door shut and if she needs to pee she knocks on the door and calls for us.

ETA: In a sense, her room is her crib now.

How do you keep her from opening the door herself? Just curious for the future, we were thinking about putting a gate up across his doorframe to keep him in his room at night.  DS is still in his crib.

• Options
    I was wondering this too.  I am not ready to give up the crib yet.  I am going to focus on day PT and worry about night when he is more ready.  I don't think the bed transition will be a big issue for him (he naps anywhere) so I will focus on the messy project first ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We are no where near getting rid of the crib and DS has been in undies full time for 2 weeks.  He still has some accidents at night, but for the most part wakes up dry.  I listen for him on the monitor (either telling me he has to pee or very restless) and I go and get him.

I also stopped liquids 3 hours before bedtime (a few sips here and there).  I go in and take him to the potty before I go to bed.  Lately is has been around 11 or 11:30 PM.  I take him pajama bottoms/undies off in crib while still asleep.  I sit him on potty while almost still asleep.  He usually pees (A LOT too) and then I get him dressed.  He goes right back down.  I was getting him up earlier than usual in the mornings, but he has better bladder control now.

I do not think they need to be out of the crib to potty train.  At first I thought this, but it has been working out great.   

• Options
    imagejason&robin:

DS is still in his crib. We have chosen to focus on PTing for the day only for now. From what I have read, some kids just aren't ready to PT at night. DS goes a lot at night and I don't think he even knows it. We'll tackle that later when he starts to show signs that he can hold it overnight. We put him in a diaper at night and then put him on the potty when he wakes up.

ETA: He wears the training undies during the day.

This is where we're focusing.  We'll probably start training undies next week but no rush to nap/night train.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"