Detroit Babies

things to do/groups?

Hey ladies. Does anyone have any recommendations of groups/programs in the Oakland County area to meet other parents of babies/children, or ideas of things to do with a 7-month-old? I work in the ER and end up scheduled a large chunk of weekends, and then I have random days off during the week when my friends are at work. I'm starting to feel both isolated and bored out of my mind on these days with nothing to do and no one to go see.

Any recommendations? I'm open to doing things solo with my son, but quickly run out of ideas for a baby that is still not able to even sit up on his own for more than a few minutes. I also would really like for him to start meeting other children. He was a preemie so we never had a chance to do birthing classes and such to meet other new parents, and as mentioned most of my friends in the area do not have kids. Thanks for any recommendations!

Re: things to do/groups?

• Hi there. Did you deliver at Beaumont? You could try joining a parenting group. My son is almost five months and my group is just starting. You could also try a Mom's Club. I joined a few months ago and there is something to do almost every day and the women are really, really nice.

I think there is also going to be a Bump GTG this week. 

I've pretty much decided to be a SAHM so I'm always looking for mom friends since I don't have any who live here and don't work during the day. 

If you are in the Troy/Rochester area, maybe we could meet up somewhere for lunch/coffee. :)

Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • Check out your local public library, most of them will have storytime once a week for your infant's age range.  Also do you have a Gymboree Play & Music location near you.  Also if you have a Parks & Recreation Dept in your area check out their catalog of activities, sometimes they will have mommy & me classes.
  • Loading the player...
  • You sound like me! My DS is almost 7 months, and was a premie so we never did any classes, and im usually bored out of my mind and have no clue what to do. Where do you live?
  • Check with your local school district.  Many times they offer swim classes for babies 6 months and up.  We did a class just before DS turned 1 and he's in another session now.  DS has loved it both times.  I'm not sure about the other districts, but the one I go through has classes just about all year round.  They're pretty inexpensive too.

You might want to also check out a Kindermusik class (there's locations all over).  Or even Gymboree classes.  That's another one with multiple locations.  They let you try 1 class for free so it can't hurt to try it out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey everyone, thanks for all of the recommendations. I had tried doing my own searching online, but struggled to really get any good info/answers. These are all great. Also, if anyone would ever like to meet up please let me know. 

bigyellow: I was originally going to deliver at Beaumont, but ended up switching to St John in Detroit. Unfortunately the NICU support group wasn't active at the time. Where is your parenting group through? Which mom's club were you able to find? I just contacted one in Oakland County, but most of the links from the actual MOMS webpage were inactive. I'd love to get together sometime, and I woud definitely love to do a Bump get together.

littlemermaid: I wasn't aware Gymboree did groups, great info! I'm sure there's one that's not too far away. Our parks and rec doesn't have much now, but I'll keep checking.

heather: I'm sure you can definitely relate! Preemies change the whole pregnancy experience, that's for sure. I live in the Keego Harbor area, so I'm a close drive to most places within Oakland County. If you ever want to meet up let me know! 

mrsrenee: Great rec on the Kindermusik, that sounds fun! No infant swim classes close enough that I've been able to find, but if anyone knows of any in Oakland County that don't require a commitment (my work schedule is different every week) let me know.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it.

• https://www.farmingtonareamomsclub.org/

You don't have to live in Farmington to join!!! Activities all over!! About 100 members

imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • https://mothersandmore13.blogspot.com/

This group has been a major lifesaver for me!! They offer so much. The link is for the Oakland Co. chapter (most members are in Rochester/Hills, Oakland Twp, Troy, Utica, Sterling Heights). There's also a North Oakland chapter and I believe a chapter in the Farmington-ish area. If you go to the national site, it has links to all the chapters :)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Thank you Skimmy and bim!  I got in touch with both groups.  Really appreciate the info!
  • Hi!  I live in Rochester and am always intrested in finding things to do for my 8mth old daughter.  I did Kindermusik........it was a great class with Ms Tammy!  I am doing Gymboree now but find it kind of expensive at 68.00/mth.  If you ever want to get together or get a group together I think that would be great! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"