D.C. Area Babies

6 mo questions

Ok guys, soliciting advice as you all are always well-versed in all things baby-related :-)

1.  When did you move your baby out of the infant car seat and into a bigger one?  Mine says its good up to 22 pounds but I can't fathom having Colton in there that long, his legs are starting to dangle out already. 

2.  What type of infant seat did you choose? 

3.  When did you introduce water, or a sippy cup for that matter?

4.  When did your babies start eating three solid (read pureed) meals?

Thanks in advance everyone!  Colton's 6 month checkup is next Friday but he's only seeing the nurse (who isn't the most helpful person in the world) so I may not get answers to these questions from her.  I don't think he's eating or sleeping enough.  Right now he follows a schedule like this:

6-7 am: wakeup...only been having 2-4 ounces for some reason lately.

10am - 6 ounces @daycare

nap for 1-2 hours

1pm- 6 ounces @daycare

nap for an hour

4pm- 6 ounces @daycare

7pm- 6 ounces

8pm - 1T rice cereal or oatmeal

9pm - 6 ounces

Sleeps until 2,3 or 4 am- wakes up and "nurses" to sleep (can't imagine he gets much from me as I'm weaning and he hasn't actively nursed since he was 1 month old)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 6 mo questions

• 1.  When did you move your baby out of the infant car seat and into a bigger one?  5 mo.  DS hit the 22 lb weight limit Embarrassed

2.  What type of infant seat did you choose? Infant seat we had the Graco Snugride, our convertible car seat we went went the Graco My Ride 65

3.  When did you introduce water, or a sippy cup for that matter? 4 months we started with the nuby soft spout sippy with water.

4.  When did your babies start eating three solid (read pureed) meals? I can't remember.....

• 1.  Our infant seat went to 32 lbs or 32 inches and there was NO way I was going to keep him in there...we switched him at 5 months when he was about 20 lbs.2.  I did  aton of research and ended up with the evenflo symphany 65.  it converts to a booster so in theory that should be the only seat we need.3. right at 6 months we put it on his high chair tray at meals,,,he drinks from it great but is not great yet at holding it himself4.  also right around 6 months we went to 3 meals a day from 2.  DS eats a ton.  Your feeding schedle looks pretty good if you add in more solids.  My ped said no baby over 4 months needs a middle of the night feeding though, so we cut that out at 6 months also... so many variables...good luck!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. I know we are in the minority on this, but ds is still in the infant seat at 9mo. He's 19 lbs, 28 in., and our seat is good until 22 lbs. 30 in. He's comfortable in it and we've had a lot of big budget things in the past couple months or we probably would have already switched. We do not take the seat in and out of the car much anymore though!

2. My parents have already bought the seats for their cars, and we are buying this weekend...Britax Marathons.

3. We introduced water in a sippy around 6 months, just to let him get used to it...he does not do much with it! He is just now starting to understand how it works, not just suck on it. 

4. We didn't do any solids at all, even rice cereal until 6 mo., so my answer may be a bit later than others, but he started 3 solid meals right around 8 months.

I would say the only big difference in our schedule and yours is that at 6 months ds was still taking a third nap, only 30 min. or so, around 4:30, and was asleep by 7:30 - 8. However, he still was waking at least twice a night. He didn't start sleeping more until 7 months, and now at 9 months I think he is actually sleeping more than he did as a newborn - minus teething times!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 1. We switched DD into her convertible seat around 7 months.  She just started looking uncomfortable (like she barely fit) and got too heavy for us to lug her around in it.  I was really surprised at her 9 month appt. that she's still technically able to use the infant seat (20 # and 28.5 inches).

2. We got Britax Boulevards since our cars have big back seats and they fit.

3. I started trying to give her water in a sippy (or occasionally a bottle) around 7 months.  She still will only rarely drink it for me, and I still hold the sippy for her even though she's able to hold her own bottles (she really wants no part of drinking water), but I think her DCP says she has some water with meals.  I'm guessing it's not much :)

4. I think I moved DD to three meals around 8 months, but we have completely cut out her dinner because it seems to make her reflux worse.  I thought we were "supposed" to give her three meals, and she is pretty easy going and willing to eat whatever I fed her, but I think it was too much for her stomach to handle before bedtime.  I'm hoping to get back to it in a month or two.

I'm pretty sure the guidelines on milk/formula say 28-36 oz. over the course of a day is normal.  Boys seem to eat more than girls, but DD maxed out around 32 oz. per day.  12-14 hours of sleep over the course of a day is the guideline I remember, and it doesn't sound like he's *too* far off from that.

imageimageimage
  • Re: middle of the night feeding.  Colton was STTN at around 2.5 months and reverted due to flipping over a few weeks ago.  Now he's waking up no matter if he's face up or down - saddness.
  • 1.  When did you move your baby out of the infant car seat and into a bigger one?  Mine says its good up to 22 pounds but I can't fathom having Colton in there that long, his legs are starting to dangle out already. 

We haven't had to yet.  Ours is good for 30" and 30 lbs and baby is just 15 lbs. and 28".  (She's probably a minority in terms of weight/height since she's 7.5 months.)

We started water one week after starting solids (about 5.75 months).  We began water directly in a sippy cup and a regular cup.  It wasn't until about two weeks later that we gave her water in a bottle.  She played with the sippy cup at first and within about 3 weeks began to really like and use it.

Just 6.75 months.  We began solids at 5.5 months and for the first week or two, we just fed her if she was interested.  It wasn't until about 10 days ago that she has really wanted three meals everyday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.  When did you move your baby out of the infant car seat and into a bigger one?  Mine says its good up to 22 pounds but I can't fathom having Colton in there that long, his legs are starting to dangle out already. 

We haven't had to yet.  Ours is good for 30" and 30 lbs and baby is just 15 lbs. and 28".  (She's probably a minority in terms of weight/height since she's 7.5 months.)

We started water one week after starting solids (about 5.75 months).  We began water directly in a sippy cup and a regular cup.  It wasn't until about two weeks later that we gave her water in a bottle.  She played with the sippy cup at first and within about 3 weeks began to really like and use it.

Just 6.75 months.  We began solids at 5.5 months and about 6.75 months, we just fed her three meals if she was interested.  It wasn't until about 10 days ago that she has really wanted three meals everyday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.  When did you move your baby out of the infant car seat and into a bigger one? 

We moved DS at 7 months.  He was only 14ish lbs, and pretty short, but I hadn't been using it as a carrier for a while anyway.  He hated the thing and loved his convertible seat.

2.  What type of infant seat did you choose? Do you mean convertible seat?  We have an Evenflo Triumph LX

At right around 6 months.  It was summer, and the pedi said that he could start having a bit of water.  We did it with solids meals.

7 or 8 months?  He was on almost all table foods by 9 months.

• 1 Around six months.  I don't remember exactly, but BabyCrown was 23 lbs at his six mos appt. 

2. I'm assuming you mean the next seat, right?  I think it's by Safety 1st.  A convertable that converts all the way too a booster seat/100lb limit.  So hopefully the last carseat I'll have to buy for BabyCrown (and just moved to forward-facing this week because I have to put the infant seat in as soon as I get it cleaned up).

3. I sort of introduced a sippy cup with water in it at 5 mos when we started solid foods.  He never liked it and at 15 mos the pedi suggested a straw sippy cup which has been a lifesaver.  (so, try different cups if he doesn't like the first one)

4.  I think that we were on three meals by six months, but we started solids at 5 mos (BabyCrown was constantly trying to grab food from me, so I saw that as a good sign he was ready, and I had just quit my job).  This wasn't always consistant, like I wouldn't necessarly bother with all three meals if we went out to lunch or dinner, just stick with a bottle.

I wouldn't worry about the food so much, babies and young toddlers won't eat more than their body needs, so if he's turning it down, it means he doesn't need it (unless, of course, there are allergies or intolerances involved).

As for sleep, that doesn't sound like enough sleep.  Can you put him down to bed any earlier?  At six months BabyCrown was taking two 1 and half to 2 hr naps a day and sleeping from 7ish PM until 6-7am (although there were plenty of five am wake-ups, but then I'd either bring him back into bed with me, or curl up with him on his floor for another hour or two).  This was with one or two wake-ups a night, though (or more, BabyCrown liked to go to sleep, but not necessarily stay down).

• 1.  When did you move your baby out of the infant car seat and into a bigger one?  we moved her to the britax boulevard around 10 months (mainly because the two carseats were taken up storage space)- she is on the small side and could techincally still be in the infant car seat right now. 

2.  What type of infant seat did you choose?  britax boulevard.

3.  When did you introduce water, or a sippy cup for that matter? I think we introduced water around 7 months. we introduced the sippy cup then too but she was not totally drinking out of it until 14 months. she was not a fan of switching.

4.  When did your babies start eating three solid (read pureed) meals? We did not start food until 6 months but I think she was eating solid food three times a day by 8 months but I would not necessarily call them meals.

• 1. I moved my guys out of the infant car seat when it was too heavy for me to easily carry it around any more...this ended up being around 8 months for each of them.

2.  I moved both of my kids into the Britax Roundabout car seat, and my boys are 2.5 and 13 months, and both still face rear.  

3. My first started getting water in a sippy cup at about 4-5 months, just to practice, and since my 2nd was able to find his brothers cups all over the house, he got them at about 4 months and was goot at it then.  

4. We started solid foods at about 4-5 months, I started with 1T of cereal a day, but I know by 6 months both of my kid were getting 3 meals a day, plus snacks.  I moved to pureed foods pretty fast since noone loved the cereal, and also started cereal, like cheerios or puffs by about 7 months.   Hope that helps.  It doesn't sound like he's eating much,..but some kids just don't...my 2.5 year old just isn't that big of an eater..but my 13 month old eats like a champ! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"