High-Risk Pregnancy

GD question. Borderline blood sugar numbers.

I just started testing my blood sugar Monday afternoon.  I was told fasting under 90 and 2 hours after meals under 120.  Post dinner Monday  was 121 and post lunch yesterday was 120.  My fasting this morning was 93.  All my others numbers were great.  I have my ob appt tomorrow and I will certainly talk to my doc, but I was curious if these numbers are usually considered "close enough" or if this mean some other interventions likely. 

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GD question. Borderline blood sugar numbers.

• It really depends.  If you having consisten low 90s instead of under 90 they'll probably first look at your bedtime snack (amount of carbs v protein) and how long you're fasting. If there seem to be no issues there, then they may put you on some type of medication.  The Fasting is unfortunately very hard to control.

Your Dinner and Lunch numbers are probably fine - my program only worries when they are consistently elevated

•  If they are just occasional, they probably won't worry. I have to be 120 an hour after a meal though, so mine's a little different. For the longest time, I was consistently in the low 90's for fasting and they didn't do anything about it. I did go on insulin eventually, because I really had to cut my carbs to get a good number. I'm so glad that I did though because it made my life a little more enjoyable to eat a little better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for asking about this, I was wondering about it too. I have the same thing with the low 90's in the morning and I go to see my OB on Friday. I will be interested to see what he says.
  • I sometime have borderline numbers and my OB is okay with it as long as it is not consistenly happen but the endocrinologist I see to monitor the GD is very strict and will increase my insulin dosage if I am off one or two points more than two days in a row.  I am not sure if all endocrinologist's offices are like this but I am happy knowing the OB is okay with it.

• With my doctor last time around (I haven't had to report my numbers this time around yet), she would tend to look at my averages to make sure they were good if I was just having some borderline numbers. When I started being consistently high, she became more concerned, and I ended up on glyburide at the end of my pregnancy (but no big deal - she said it was normal for it to be harder to control as your pregnancy progresses).
  • Ditto to the other posters. My numbers need to be the same as your's (except my fasting has to be between 65 and 90), and my OB generally just looks at the average instead of getting excited over one or two spikes.With the exception of the past week and half, my numbers have been very good (only a couple 120+ numbers and those were usually due to eating Chinese take-out!).

I'm very close to the end, however, and my insulin resistance is beginning to creep up. Just yesterday... I had a 168 two hours after breakfast. Yikes. Luckily enough, the OB will not put me on insulin (or anything else) since my induction date is next Wednesday night (unless this baby decides to arrive before then). GL and let us know how your doctor reacts!

• Just back from the doctor.  She was fine with my levels so far.  She said that they usually drop after the first week once you get in the hang of things.  I have lost a few pounds which I think puts me close to a zero net weight gain.  She is not concerned because I have frequent ultrasounds and the baby is growing just fine.  I am overweight so I am not going to stress about it.  It is funny though....I spend my whole life trying to lose weight and I cant and now I am losing it without even trying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"