Baby Showers

Is it ok

I'm wondering if it would be ok to have a shower or sprinkle/celebration in my case. I really want to register as it's FUN to register and see the new stuff out there. And if nothing else it will be my little list to go by.

We have a DD that will be 22months old when this LO is born. Even if this baby is a girl, the seasons will be slightly different. My plan is to regardless what this baby is, take all DD's clothes that wont work, to a children's consignment shop (they are picky w/ what they accept so it will be a big project). I can get store credit or money...I'll do what's best and get new clothing, that's the right season and size.

Other than some clothing there isn't a whole lot we need. I do need a new swing since our swing's motor doesn't work and I wouldn't mind a space saver swing since we have a small house. I would love a descent breast pump, though not a $300+ one, and I would like to try a different bottle they have now. I think we will forgo a crib, I'm hoping DD will be ready for a toddler bed by the time I put this baby in a crib from the cosleeper...I hope I'm not wrong.

As you can tell we don't NEED much, so would it even be "right" to have any kind of celebration? Obviously I wont be throwing this, however, I'm not sure who would. I could plant lil seeds if I want/need something, but I'm just not sure how appropriate it would be. Maybe if this baby is a boy it would be more appropriate? We wont find out till Sept.

Re: Is it ok

• imagemomofbeans:
    Obviously I wont be throwing this, however, I'm not sure who would. I could plant lil seeds if I want/need something, but I'm just not sure how appropriate it would be.
    No, it is never appropriate to hint around that you'd like a shower - and doubly so since you're not a first-time Mom.
  • Yes, you can register if you want.  Thre isn't anything stopping you from doing that.

But the idea of "planting lil seeds" - uh, NO!  If someone offers to throw you a small sprinkle, sure, you can say yes.  but this is NOT something you do yourself, and it's NOT something you hint at. 

I dont' even think it being a boy makes it appropriate.  The only difference is clothing, and TRUST ME, you will get clothes from people w/o making someone throw you a shower.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Hinting around is not a good idea. However, I would not say it was bad if someone offered to throw you a sprinkle and you accepted. Sprinkles are typically smaller gift items...think diapers, wipes, book showers, clothing...stuff like that. Registering for new big ticket items is a bit much in my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Thanks a bunch, love the honesty. I probably wouldn't even give out the registry info unless somebody specifically asked where I was registered. Like I said the registry would mainly be for fun and for my wishlist needs.
  • I don't think you should hint to anyone what you want/need or throwing you a shower. Your DD is only 22 months old. I think expecting a shower is tacky & pushy. If you need things, I think you should be prepared to buy them yourself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With another baby not even 2 years older, if no one offers to throw a shower/sprinkle/etc I don't think you need to hint or suggest.

Go ahead and register for the few new things that you need.  Keep your eyes out on craigslist, I see the good medela pumps on there all the time for a really good price you would just need to buy new tubing and such.

I totally understand wanting to celebrate your new baby, what about doing a welcome to the world party and invite everyone over to meet the new baby when he/she is a few months old. That way you still get to celebrate the birth, and visit with friends (and a few people might bring gifts as well).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTAMLVSCARL:
    I don't think you should hint to anyone what you want/need or throwing you a shower. Your DD is only 22 months old. I think expecting a shower is tacky & pushy. If you need things, I think you should be prepared to buy them yourself.

This. 

• honestly I wouldn't even start a registry (at least a public one) until/if someone offers to throw you a sprinkle or shower... I really am a believer that unless there is a huge age gap or it's a first child for one of the parents.. showers and registries are no no's...
  • imageRoxyLynn:
    imagemomofbeans:
    Obviously I wont be throwing this, however, I'm not sure who would. I could plant lil seeds if I want/need something, but I'm just not sure how appropriate it would be.
    No, it is never appropriate to hint around that you'd like a shower - and doubly so since you're not a first-time Mom.

Exactly this. However, if there is stuff you need, you can always register just so you have a good checklist and you can use the completion coupon to help ease the burden of some big purchases. Other than that, definitely agree with PP.

• I don't understand why someone would want to use the completion coupon when BRU always sends way better coupons anyway (20% off, etc) and secondly I wouldn't buy most things there anyway when they are so overpriced. I registered there cuz it is the main baby store in our area otherwise I'm buying diapers, wipes, etc at Walmart, Target...

• imageTAMLVSCARL:

I don't understand why someone would want to use the completion coupon when BRU always sends way better coupons anyway (20% off, etc) and secondly I wouldn't buy most things there anyway when they are so overpriced. I registered there cuz it is the main baby store in our area otherwise I'm buying diapers, wipes, etc at Walmart, Target...

Usually, you can stack their coupons for different things. I agree though that they are COMPLETELY wayyyy over priced. I used them as mainly a checklist for stuff we needed.

• imageCourtneyR2N:

With another baby not even 2 years older, if no one offers to throw a shower/sprinkle/etc I don't think you need to hint or suggest.

Go ahead and register for the few new things that you need.  Keep your eyes out on craigslist, I see the good medela pumps on there all the time for a really good price you would just need to buy new tubing and such.

I totally understand wanting to celebrate your new baby, what about doing a welcome to the world party and invite everyone over to meet the new baby when he/she is a few months old. That way you still get to celebrate the birth, and visit with friends (and a few people might bring gifts as well).

This is what I would do. I'm doing this for DH family and friends. I had a rather large shower with my family and friends(well mom's friends mostly, but that is a whole different story) and got EVERYTHING I needed/wanted. However, for verious reasons DH family was not able to be there, and I wanted to do something to include them without really having to deal with another shower/ mostly gift giving event. I'm sure some will bring gifts. Me and DH along with MIL are planning and throwing it in Mid-October. It will also serve as a sprinkler for my SIL who is expecting a little girl in Novermber.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"