Special Needs

Who diagnoses sensory disorders?

My DD has severe gross motor delays and now her PTs think she exhibits some signs of sensory disorders. I've been to a developmental dr and neurologist and this wasnt mentioned. I had her evaluated a while back for OT but all they really had her do is pile blocks and play with pegs. I'm so confused who should be addressing this.I'm trying to find a new developmental dr meanwhile but they all have huge waits. Grrr.

Re: Who diagnoses sensory disorders?

• Ditto pp.  Don't be afraid to "interview" therapists before agreeing to have them see your little one.  I'm a pediatric OT and I'll be the 1st to tell you that some of us know what we're doing when it comes to sensory stuff and some of us don't .  Make sure they've had continuing ed in the area of sensory processing.  Feel free to pm me and I'll pass my email onto you if you have specific questions.
  • NJLHNJLH member
    Thank you...I didnt realized there were different OT methods, I'm going to try to get her reevaluated.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there; as an OT myself, yes, you need to see an OT but I agree with PP that OT's all have their areas of expertise and you should see one who specializes in sensory issues.

As far as the actual diagnosis...an OT can do an evaluation and based on the result of the evaluation recommend therapy and treatment strategies (such as sensory-based therapy).  They can say that your child exhibits differences in sensory processing and recommend treatment.  However, an OT can't give a child an actual OFFICIAL diagnosis that is in the DSM-V book. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"