Hawaii Babies

Failed the 1 hr glucose test :-(

I'm so bummed! Just called the doc's office to follow up on the GTT result and they told me my numbers are high. I have to come back to do the 3 hr  test :-(. It just sucks coz I know I've been managing my diet well and exercise pretty regularly. I have gained ~18 lbs at 27 weeks which I think is reasonable. However, I do have a family history of diabetes so I guess that made me high risk :-(. Tell me GD is not that bad? :-(.

Re: Failed the 1 hr glucose test :-(

• Oh, I'm sorry E :(  Don't worry though because you may go in for the 3 hr. and pass it with flying colors, keep the faith :)  I know it's a bummer to hear the news though but like Lori and Lisa will tell you, GD isn't that bad at all.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you big time for the 3 hr. though. *hugs*
    I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry, positive vibes for the next test, but regardless you can get through it!!
  • Loading the player...
  • exactly what everyone else already said :)
  • aww, i'm sorry Sad 

i might in the same situation, since there's a history of diabetes in my family too - but my problem has always been low blood sugar, not high, so who knows...

lots of vibes that you pass the 3hr, but if not, i'm sure you'll handle it fine!   we have good GD role models around here Smile

• Oh Ericka, I am so sorry.  But know this...lots of women fail the 1 hour (which is just a screening) and go on to pass the 3 hour (the real test).  And in my case, I failed the 1 hour so badly I didn't even take the 3 hour...so it bodes well that you have to do the 3 hour. 

If you do end up with GD, you must know that it's nothing you've done to cause it...vegan super models can get it!  It's that your placenta is producing hormones that your pancreas cannot handle and thus results in higher blood sugars.  Diet and exercise can manage it for most women, but sometimes you need medication...I was on insulin and so was Lisa.  Becca is GD and I think she may be managing it without medications.  So you're not alone and you'll get through it, if you have it.

Hang in there mama...sending you positive vibes!

• Oh no, hun. Try not to take it personally. It happens to many people who are very fit, so it is absolutely not an indication that you are unhealthy. Just unlucky. GL on the 3hr test... Hang in there! GD or no GD, you will still end up with a beautiful baby girl soon!
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awww hon I'm sorry. But like Lori said, a lot of women fail the 1 hour and go on to pass the 3 hour!

And it really isn't so bad. You can still eat virtually everything in one form or another - I could have wholegrain bread but not white, and I could even eat pasta as long as the sauce was protein-y enough (homemade mac & cheese was a go!)...I think the only thing I couldn't eat in any form was potatoes. And it's not forever - I had to take insulin, but the GD had totally cleared up within 3 days after the boys were born!

Don't feel bad, and don't blame yourself - ANYONE can get GD, regardless of how well they eat normally! (((hugs)))

• inamrainamra member
    Awww, it's okay. I was just as bummed when I failed mine too. But I luckily passed the 2nd one. The same thing happened to my mom (failed the first, but passed the 2nd) and I also have a family history of diabetes. You still have a good chance of passing. And GD just means you have to eat a stricter (healthier) diet, so it's not that bad at all =P FWIW, I gained 20lbs by 26 weeks (and that's ON TOP of the 15lbs I gained back after I lost it in the beginning), so I think your weight gain is totally reasonable (on the lighter end even!).
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • thanks for all your reassuring words. i have scheduled the 3 hr test next tuesday. looking at the positive side, if i do have it, it will at least force me to eat healthy for the next 13 weeks which shouldn't be that bad. still keeping fingers crossed for a negative result!
  • Either way, you'll be fine hon! I love that you're seeing the positive side of it and you and bebe will be eating super healthy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"