Military Families

Breastfeeding in the Military

Hi,

I would like to breastfeed my LO as long as possible and pump while I am on work. Are there any other moms in the military that breastfeed? Was your unit supportive, and if not how did you manage?

Thanks for your help

B

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding in the Military

• As long as it doesn't interfere with the mission. they can't discriminate.  I was pumping six times a day at a wing-level job; I just had to work longer hours for the time that pumping took me away, because I still needed to finish my work.

• DH used to work with a woman who was allowed to go home every 2 hours to BF her baby.  She didn't want to pump, and they allowed her all the leeway she needed.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as you are still doing your job and pumping is not interfering, you should be fine.  It doesn't take any longer to go pump that it does for your co-workers to go out for a smoke break. 

BTW, please go get a new SN.  It is way too easy for creepers to google you with your full name out on the net.  PERSEC is so important, especially when you are in the military.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My unit was great about it. I was a reservist on AD for about 6 months after DS2 was born. I'd disappear for 20 minutes every few hours. They knew what I was up to and no-one said anything.

Don't use it as an excuse to get out of things and you'll be fine. If you knwo you have a range the next day squeeze in an extra pumping the day before to help stimulate production. pump right before and right after missioin complete.

I also carried a manual pump incase I became engorged while away from the office. I'd go in a vehicle or the bathroom and pump until I was comfortable again and just dump the milk instead of storing it. It helped maintain production and kept my boobs for soaking me!

• In the Air Force I pump 3 times a day without any issues. The one time it came up I talked to my supervisor (a guy) and we worked it out. I know in the AF your chain of command is supposed to work with you for the first year. It depends on the chain of command in most cases. I have pumped for his first 10 months! Good luck.
  • my old supervisor used to run the "mothers room" at our base.  she used to pump as well during the day.  the unit was completely supportive.  the room had a nice couch, low lighting, a radio and a mini fridge to store milk in.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"