Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Wishing a deceased friend "Happy Birthday"?

We have a friend who passed away in February from lung and brain cancer. His FB page is still "active" with friends posting memorials and, today, birthday wishes. Every now and then I get a reminder from Facebook to "reconnect" with him. I am assuming his mom or other family member manages the page b/c "he" has recently accepted new friends. Would you post on a friend's page who has passed away? The memorials and pictures I understand. The birthday wishes are a little morbid to me.

Thoughts?

ETA: I am not trying to belittle anyone who uses this type of rememberance to cope with their loss. This is the first time I have ever experienced a "sad Happy Birthday" and, thus, the reason for my post.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wishing a deceased friend "Happy Birthday"?

• That is really weird to me that someone is managing his FB page.  I would think that someone should have started a memorial "group" and that you could wish him a happy birthday and celebrate his life that way.  I would not post on his page.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • A friend of ours died this past winter, and her family and boyfriend kept her FB page up. 

I understood the reasoning behind it right after she died, because it was a nice place to keep the memorials and notes of condolence.  But the boyfriend occasionally posts on it with stuff like "I went to the such & such yesterday; you would have loved it," which kind of creeps me out.

However, it's theirs to do with as they wish....I could see keeping it up to go back & look at the memorials, but maybe locking it so there wouldn't be any new additions? 

I don't know...this is definitely a 'to each his own' type of thing.

• Loading the player...
  • I know what you mean...my pastor's wife passed away and people still post on her page. 

I agree about the birthday wishes, it's a bit strange.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just to give you and idea...here are some of the postings:

* Happy Birthday! I miss you!

* Thought about you a lot today! Happy Birthday!

* I hope your birthday was everything you wanted! Miss you!

* Happy Birthday! I heard your mom is taking you to the World's! Miss you everyday!

I guess this is truly a personal choice but I don't think it is for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It may bring them some comfort to post things like that to his page. Everyone grieves and deals with loss differently. This is definitely a "to each their own" kind of situation where I think judgement should be withheld.
  • imageDaisy582:
    Just to give you and idea...here are some of the postings:

* Happy Birthday! I miss you!

* Thought about you a lot today! Happy Birthday!

* I hope your birthday was everything you wanted! Miss you!

* Happy Birthday! I heard your mom is taking you to the World's! Miss you everyday!

I guess this is truly a personal choice but I don't think it is for me.

I think it sounds like the people who have posted believe in life after death.  To them he is celebrating his birthday today, but in heaven.

And Ironically I have been thinking about this whole situation because DH's best friend passed away June 5th and his 30th birthday is Aug. 2nd.  I wasn't sure if I was going to post Happy Birthday cause yes it does sound kind of morbid to other people or just, Thinking of you today.

• I had a friend who died in a car crash on the way to Prom. We still post things on her profile, almost as if we're talking to her. It's a way of coping for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto others. If you don't feel comfortable then don't post but I bet that the family or whoever is managing it gets some comfort from it or they'd deactivate the acct.  I don't know that I'd wish someone a 'happy birthday' but I could totally see making a comment about how you're thinking of them today. 

I emailed my dad a few times after he died. It was my way of getting some feelings & things out but of course no one checks the acct, I dont think my mom does, or at least she has never mentioned it.  

• About 8 years ago, a good friend of ours died in a car accident.  We set up a website for him so everyone can share pictures, write comments/messages and such.  It was a way for everyone to cope.  I don't think there's anything creepy about it.  We still remember his birthday each year.  
  • imagegroovygrl:

Ditto others. If you don't feel comfortable then don't post but I bet that the family or whoever is managing it gets some comfort from it or they'd deactivate the acct.  I don't know that I'd wish someone a 'happy birthday' but I could totally see making a comment about how you're thinking of them today. 

I emailed my dad a few times after he died. It was my way of getting some feelings & things out but of course no one checks the acct, I dont think my mom does, or at least she has never mentioned it.  

I think that is increadibly sweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"