Stay at Home Moms

Conquering Clutter & Fighting Filth Update...

So far today, we got returns done at 3 stores.  Narrowed the car seat search to 2 - 3 choices.  Did not get to 4th store to do returns or buy carseat with my coupons and special savings :(  LO was all over the place with his naps today - took an AM nap which he hasn't done in forever - on me!  Then wanted his normal nap just as we were getting ready to go.  After he got up and had a snack we went to the stores - he started to get really fussy at the first one - like he was ready for another nap!  Geez.  One store would not take items back (office stuff) so we have to craig's list it or try the branch we normally go to (she was really rude, just walked away).  Got DS's sound machine exchanged (his suddenly wasn't working well - volume lost the middle range and with projector there was a constant static sound).

So that eliminated about 8 bags of stuff!  :)  Yay! for seeing the corner of the room again.  When we got home, I finally found one of the receipts I was looking for so I am about to gain the area in front of my window back :)

I have a big bag of recycling and a bag of trash.  I still have stuff to sort through that are covering our bed at the moment :( and wish I could use the vac. without LO waking up. 

Do you keep boxes/packages for your kid's toys???  Pitch them all, keep them all, keep certain ones?  I am curious because my friends all have different answers on this and DH and I are at opposite ends of the extremes for this spectrum. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Conquering Clutter & Fighting Filth Update...

• I keep almost no toy packaging once we determine that a) the item works and b) we want to keep it.  Why would you hold onto it?  

• imagelms_bride:

I keep almost no toy packaging once we determine that a) the item works and b) we want to keep it.  Why would you hold onto it?  

LOL, because I am strange and OCD like that! ;o) In reality, because no joke every time I get rid of something like that the stupid thing will break and the store will ask for the packaging, or I will need it for some random reason.  For some items I received as hand me downs, it was really nice to have the package either for storage if it was random size/shape or for showing me how it went together or where something went.  I have been working on getting over this though :)  Thanks for answering, I am going to tackle the pile of boxes next to my chair that have been screaming "throw me out/recycle me".  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't keep boxes for ANYthing.

I take that back - We bought a Net Book about a week ago and I kept the box but I'm going to chuck it today.  I keep boxes long enough to ensure that the product works and then it's gone.  

I wouldn't keep boxes for toys either - At first I thought, well, if we weren't having them so close together (we're done at 2!), I might have kept a box to store the Exersaucer, etc... but in reality, no.  We're not going to take the Exersaucer apart to store it and then re-build it later - We'd just store it, as is.

Occasionally you do hit a point where something ends up breaking right after throwing away the package - But, it's so rare that that happens, it's worth the risk to me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't keep the boxes, but I do keep the paperwork (manuals).  I keep them in a LO's toys thing in the filing cabinent.

I didn't think I would do this, but when I bought a few things on consignment they always had the manuals taped to them and I preferred them that way. So I figured if I ever sold any of his things I'd be able to do the same and perhaps sell them easier because of this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I keep all user manuals for all toys... even the ones that it doesn't matter, but it's an OCD thing.  Certain things I keep boxes for- usually until the warranty is up (like my Macbook, iPhone, etc.), or stuff I know I will pass on.  Those go up in the attic. 

Regular old toy boxes, nah.  They usually get pretty tore up in the opening process, but if you feel you might need them, keep just until the warranty or return period is up.  Mark in your planner when that is, and on that day get the box and toss it.  Don't let them pile up!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"