Hawaii Babies
Options

Hello and Q about acupuncture

Hey ladies, it sure is quiet(er) around here, it must be summer :)

All is well for baby, MH and I.  We had an ultrasound almost 2 weeks ago and his approximate weight was 5lbs 7oz and he's head down, yay!  Also had a wonderful baby shower and bought the last few items we still needed; car seat, stroller, glider.  We're pretty much all set now... I think :P  Maternity photos were done nearly 2 weeks ago also and I'm thrilled with how they turned out... hmm, I feel like I'm repeating myself because all of this info is on FB as well.

So... my Q.  Was curious about acupucture, would those of you that have had it prior to labor recommend it?

Might as well throw in a Q about nursing bras as well, what brand do you recommend?  Do I buy a couple now or wait?

I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hello and Q about acupuncture

• Options
    didn't do acupuncture but i'll try to answer your Q about nursing bras.... i'd wait until after your milk comes in so you know your size (i went up 2 more cup sizes). if you want to make sure you have something right away, i'd get either a medela nursing bra that comes in a wider range of sizes like S/M/L/XL etc (vs 36B/C/D etc) or just get a target nursing tank for $15.  you won't be going lots of places right away after baby is born anyway, which will give you plenty of time to order and try on nursing bras after your milk comes in :)  just my 2 cents!
  • Options
    Good advice, thanks :)  I wish we had a Target here, sniff... Wal-Mart had no nursing tanks what-so-ever and we didn't go to Target last time we were in the US, darn.  I'll have to shop around and maybe get something online.
    I love Hawaii!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Accupuncture - I would totally recommend it.  If only for relaxation  :)  even if I didn't immediately go into labor after the first session (didn't expect to) the overall well being that I felt was totally worth it and my high blood pressure and edema (pre-e) symptoms totally went away.

nursing bras - I just used the tanks from target and some cheap "sleep bras" from motherhood (basically like a criss cross type loose sports bra) for the first little bit.  Then I went and got properly fitted at a local shop (not really since I use to work at nord lingerie, I just told them what I needed but it was nice to get their opinion too).  It's not pretty but I like the smooth cup anita bra I got but I really like the Le Mystere nursing bra, it is cotton and has a little soft lace to make it really pretty - I ended up going back to get a black one too.

• Options

imageMrsIH:
    Good advice, thanks :)  I wish we had a Target here, sniff... Wal-Mart had no nursing tanks what-so-ever and we didn't go to Target last time we were in the US, darn.  I'll have to shop around and maybe get something online.

i know walmart.com has cheap nursing tanks :) then if you don't like it you can still return to the store

• Options
    MrsZizMrsZiz member

I did acupuncture before I was pregnant and I LOVED it!! Can't say how it would work while pregnant though...

As for nursing bras. I would wait until your milk comes in like Jaime said. I went up 2 cup sizes as well. I only had a couple of sleep bras (medela brand, I hate them but they do the job... the elastic stretches out VERY quick!) I had larges due to a friend giving them to me but I really needed m's because the l's were WAY too big around. I tried the target nursing tanks and the size I needed to fit my boobs was way too big around the middle and made me look fat! But some people swear by them. I would recommend buying a couple of comfortable sleep bras to get buy until your milk comes in and then go shopping for some good nursing bras.

Oh and as for nursing pads, Gerber ones do the trick for me, they are cheap too! Not the most flattering but I have a little bit of padding in my nursing bras so you can't see them at all. If you plan on just wearing nursing tanks, I would go with the Lansinoh ones. They form more to your shape so they don't show much.  

• Options

i hear good things about the bravado nursing bras and tanks, but they're pretty expensive.  i plan to try some though, and some from target, just to see. 

i've never tried acupuncture (though I keep thinking i should go - i think it'd help my knee problems), but i plan to look into it!

• Options

Yay Tara...you're getting close!

Didn't end up doing accupunture (had planned for it during natural labor but then was induced...)

About nursing bras...ditto the pps...get some tanks for the first couple of weeks, and then buy some bras.  I love the Target tanks and got all of mine online (Amazon sells them too).  I started with two Walmart ones and they're okay and cheap but ultimately I prefer the fabric and cut of the Target ones.  There are also some pricier ones but I find the Target ones are just fine!

I ordered my nursing bras when Libby was three weeks old...got them from www.breakoutbras.com.  I am a 40I, so my choices were sort of limited.  But I got three...my favorite is an underwire by Elomi (Smoothing Cup Bra).  LOVE it!  And want to get one more in black.  The other one I like doesn't have wires and it's by Goddess.  Of course, if you're a more "normal" size you'll have more options than me.  Oh yeah, BreakOut bras has nursing tanks and pumps, etc.  They have an awesome return policy too!  They ship to Canada and are having 10% off right now.

• Options
    imageMarried2MrWright:

Yay Tara...you're getting close!

Didn't end up doing accupunture (had planned for it during natural labor but then was induced...)

About nursing bras...ditto the pps...get some tanks for the first couple of weeks, and then buy some bras.  I love the Target tanks and got all of mine online (Amazon sells them too).  I started with two Walmart ones and they're okay and cheap but ultimately I prefer the fabric and cut of the Target ones.  There are also some pricier ones but I find the Target ones are just fine!

I ordered my nursing bras when Libby was three weeks old...got them from www.breakoutbras.com.  I am a 40I, so my choices were sort of limited.  But I got three...my favorite is an underwire by Elomi (Smoothing Cup Bra).  LOVE it!  And want to get one more in black.  The other one I like doesn't have wires and it's by Goddess.  Of course, if you're a more "normal" size you'll have more options than me.  Oh yeah, BreakOut bras has nursing tanks and pumps, etc.  They have an awesome return policy too!  They ship to Canada and are having 10% off right now.

That's great, thank you Lori!

Awesome that Amazon sells the Target nursing tanks... is there a specific brand that I should look for on Amazon?  MH is having something shipped from the US so we'll have to make a trek over to pick up his package just across the border, maybe I'll order a couple things for myself too!  Oh and are they true to size, the tanks from Target? Not too tight in the, ahem, middle? :) 

I love Hawaii!

• Options

imageMrsIH:
    Awesome that Amazon sells the Target nursing tanks... is there a specific brand that I should look for on Amazon?  MH is having something shipped from the US so we'll have to make a trek over to pick up his package just across the border, maybe I'll order a couple things for myself too!  Oh and are they true to size, the tanks from Target? Not too tight in the, ahem, middle? :) 

the brand is Gilligan & O'Malley at target... i am not sure what Lori thinks but i find that the target tanks run small. i would order one size up from what you normally wear.  they are definitely very loose around the belly and not fitted....great for when you are immediately post partum and still losing the baby weight :)

• Options
    imagemrspresley:

imageMrsIH:

the brand is Gilligan & O'Malley at target... i am not sure what Lori thinks but i find that the target tanks run small. i would order one size up from what you normally wear.  they are definitely very loose around the belly and not fitted....great for when you are immediately post partum and still losing the baby weight :)

Thank you Jaime :) I just found them on Amazon, I guess I should have looked first.  I appreciate all of the info, such a great help. 

I love Hawaii!

• Options

target nursing tanks - I think they run a little small too.  Right after Jack was born I lived in the XLs.  Now they are a little baggy and the most recent one I picked up was a L which is more like my normal size and the smaller size is more supportive for me now.  I would never wear one as my only top - I layer it under a cami dress or other shirt/tank (but that is just me, I'm sure it would be fine if you did...) so I don't mind if they are a little tight.

bras - I'm a big size too (36h/i) so I am pretty limited as well but was able to find ones I feel really good about, I just had to suck it up and spend $$.

• Options
    inamrainamra member
    After Jaime beautifully modeled her Target nursing tank for me when we gtg (aka she wore it to our gtg and I asked about it =P), I ordered 3 online at $16.99 each and got free shipping for over $50 purchase and $5 off using the coupon code I get every other week or so for subscribing to Target emails. I love them! I also ordered a size up and it fits just right on top and is very loose around the waist for pp bellies =) I wish I got them before I delivered but I would still waited before getting nursing bras because you have no idea what size you'll be when your milk comes in.
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"