Oregon Babies
Options

Infant daycare recs in SE Portland?

Hi all, I don't normally post on the bump, but we're becoming new parents in December, and everyone keeps telling us that the one thing we need to do ASAP is get daycare ideas lined up.  It seems super early to me, since I will be home for 4 months so we won't be starting daycare until early April but...I'm taking the advice from the pros on this one. :)

Our house is in inner-SE (nearest major cross-streets: 39th & Hawthorne), so we're looking for recommendations in that area.  If anyone has ideas, I would appreciate hearing them!

PS - I tried searching to make sure I wasn't starting the 90th "daycare recs please!! post in a row, and didn't see anything from the last week or so..but forgive me if this is something that you girls hear all the dang time from newbies. :)

Re: Infant daycare recs in SE Portland?

• Options
    Congratulations! I remember you from back on the Knot! I'm sorry I don't have recs for you as we moved away from SE before we had our baby.
  • Options

A girl I went to high school with is the infant teacher at Grandma's place on 27th and Powell.  The place looks really nice and after having been there, if I lived on the east side, I would totally take DD there. :)

https://www.grandmasplacedaycare.com/clark_center.html

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi!

I personally use an inhome daycare that I absolutely LOVE, I found her on craigslist, and she's amazing.  So if you are open to in-home care, definetly look on craigslist!  You have to weed through all the mispellings and scams, but I met and interviewed several women that I would have been happy using for daycare.

A few centers:

Belmont Academy (known for being a great preschool, I don't know if they take infants, but they might have some leads in the area that do take infants)

Creative Minds ( https://www.creativemindslearningcenter.com/ ) they have several locations, I've toured the one in Sellwood and it's REALLY cute inside.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks for the recs!  We're having the debate of whether to choose a center close to my office (westside, near Hillsboro) or our house, which is in SE.  DH works downtown, so basically right in between.  I think we're going to visit places in both areas & hopefully that will help narrow the choices down.

• Options
    imageMrs.Felicity:

Thanks for the recs!  We're having the debate of whether to choose a center close to my office (westside, near Hillsboro) or our house, which is in SE.  DH works downtown, so basically right in between.  I think we're going to visit places in both areas & hopefully that will help narrow the choices down.

Pick someplace close to your house, or central for both of you!  Ours is close to our house, and it's really great because DH does dropoff every morning and I pick up every evening.  The days that I have to drop off AND pick up are stressful, it's really nice to share the responsibility with DH.  Plus I feel like we are equal partners in childcare, not that it's 100% "my job".  It's a nice balance for us.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageThe_Jen626:
    imageMrs.Felicity:

Pick someplace close to your house, or central for both of you!  Ours is close to our house, and it's really great because DH does dropoff every morning and I pick up every evening.  The days that I have to drop off AND pick up are stressful, it's really nice to share the responsibility with DH.  Plus I feel like we are equal partners in childcare, not that it's 100% "my job".  It's a nice balance for us.

Yeah, I like the idea of having it close to both of us so we can share responsibility, but we also are a 1 car family - DH walks/bikes to work in the good weather and rides the bus in the winter. The other upside to having it close to my office would be that I could go over at lunchtime to breastfeed during the day.

I think we're still leaning towards doing something close to home though.  Prices seem to be better in town than out in the burbs (which is the opposite of what I was expecting, I don't know why).  Also my MIL lives like a mile from our house in SE so she could pick kiddo up in a pinch.

We're planning to go visit Belmont Academy & Grandma's Place this Friday, so hopefully one of them will be a good fit!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"