D.C. Area Babies
Options

how to stop the biting?

DS is only 8.5 months, but has 6 teeth.  He likes to suck/chew/bite things, which I'm fine with as long as they are teething toys or blankets or bibs, etc.  What I'm NOT fine with is when he does it on my arm/shoulder/etc.  Does he really know not to do it if I say "no" now?  Most of the time he does it is when I'm trying to rock him to sleep and he gets my shoulder - last night I just kept saying NO and put him down on the ground, which made him cry harder (he's usually crying/whining when I'm rocking him b/c he's tired). 

suggestions?

Re: how to stop the biting?

• Options

this is very frustrating--I sympathize with you, we went through a period of dealing with this and he still does it occasionally. when he starts to bite you, say something like "ow, no biting mommy" and then quickly re-direct him to something he can bite.

also, if you scroll down a bit, someone asked this question a few days ago (maybe a week ago?) and people had a lot of other good suggestions.

• Options

I posted about this about a week or two ago but DS is 21 months.  However, I also had this problem when he had some teeth and was probably 6 months or so.  As a matter of fact I remember have several bruises on a regular basis on my upper arms. 

I agree with the redirecting.  DS is now very attached to blankets, maybe try getting one of the blankets that has the teething pieces on the ends for him to chew on while he is sleepy.  I do think that babies at that age understand "no" but I don't think they remember it like an a toddler/older baby does; my son is at the point where I think he can recall "oh last time I did this, this happened", I just don't think 8 1/2 months is old enough for that part.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks - I must have missed that post - will go back and look for it now. 
  • Options
    It may just be teething or an ear infection.  When my son's first set of molars came in, he bit us.  Then he did it again once 8 months later and turned out to have an ear infection.
  • Options

imagegarden123:
    It may just be teething or an ear infection.  When my son's first set of molars came in, he bit us.  Then he did it again once 8 months later and turned out to have an ear infection.

I'm hoping he's not getting molars at 8 months! lol

ETA: I just saw he could get them soon.  ugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"