Blended Families

Still hurt...(vent)

DD's bday party was on 18 July.  I invited BM of SS#2 to come with her other 2 kids in an attempt to "make peace".  She came and when they walked in SS didn't say a word to me - all day was the same.  When they were leaving, I literally had to beg him for a hug and he still didn't want to give me one.  I'm really hurt and it's been bugging me since b/c normally, he is very affectionate towards me.  What gives?  Is it b/c BM was there?  That's never usually an issue...

Since the party, we've had family visiting and my step-mother introduced him as my son (not step-son).  He was vey quick to correct her that I'm his STEPMOM and he already has a real mom.  I'm not trying to replace his mother so that's not what's bugging me, but this is all very out of character for him and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm just really hurt that he's behaving this way towards me..

Vent over.  Thanks! 

Re: Still hurt...(vent)

• Yes, most likely he was being cold to you as to not hurt his mom's feelings. It is totally normal behavior. Welcome to a blended family. Kids get stuck in the middle no matter how hard we try to prevent  it.
    And he is in fact your stepson. He clarified that, because he wants to make sure that his Mom's role is secure.

• My SD also reaffirms that I am her SM if it is to anyone we may see again. She won't say it to a cashier or something, but if a family member or neighbor calls me mom she will correct. I don't mind it at all, it's the truth. Not to mention I don't particulary want her calling her stepdads "dad."
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that he made the correction, it's just unlike him.  It's the not speaking to me and not wanting to hug me that really threw me for a loop.
  • imagejunebugs345:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that he made the correction, it's just unlike him.  It's the not speaking to me and not wanting to hug me that really threw me for a loop.

This made me curious. Do you usually introduce him as your son? and what is the custody situation? How long have you been his SM? How is your relationship with BM? All these things come into play in a situation like this.

The "being cold" had nothing to do with you and everything to do with wanting to show loyalty to mom. It's normal, and will likely happen in the future. Step parents need to have thicker skin, IMO. You'll get used to it.

• imagejunebugs345:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that he made the correction, it's just unlike him.  It's the not speaking to me and not wanting to hug me that really threw me for a loop.

This made me curious. Do you usually introduce him as your son? and what is the custody situation? How long have you been his SM? How is your relationship with BM? All these things come into play in a situation like this.

The "being cold" had nothing to do with you and everything to do with wanting to show loyalty to mom. It's normal, and will likely happen in the future. Step parents need to have thicker skin, IMO. You'll get used to it.

• I usually introduce both SSs as my stepsons, but there have been a few instances where people have referred to me as their mom (casually).  We have him every other week, Friday to Friday.  DH and I have been married for 3 years and together for 1 year before that. Relationship with BM was awful to begin with but has since improved a lot - we speak and she has come over a few times.

I understand him wanting to be loyal to BM but he has never behaved this way before, even with her around. 

• imagejunebugs345:

I usually introduce both SSs as my stepsons, but there have been a few instances where people have referred to me as their mom (casually).  We have him every other week, Friday to Friday.  DH and I have been married for 3 years and together for 1 year before that. Relationship with BM was awful to begin with but has since improved a lot - we speak and she has come over a few times.

I understand him wanting to be loyal to BM but he has never behaved this way before, even with her around. 

Eh, chalk it up to him being 8 and that kids go through these phases. It would not surprise me either if maybe a friend of his has parents going through a divorce and they were talking and these kinds of things came up. It may be a case of friend said my mom said that I can't be nice to SM because she is not my real my mom,or something like that. But really who knows, there are three thousand million reasons that he may have behaved that way. But in the end, he was trying to show loyalty to his mom, and really you can't fault and 8 yo for that.

• imageparis.inthe.spring:
    imagejunebugs345:

I usually introduce both SSs as my stepsons, but there have been a few instances where people have referred to me as their mom (casually).  We have him every other week, Friday to Friday.  DH and I have been married for 3 years and together for 1 year before that. Relationship with BM was awful to begin with but has since improved a lot - we speak and she has come over a few times.

Eh, chalk it up to him being 8 and that kids go through these phases. It would not surprise me either if maybe a friend of his has parents going through a divorce and they were talking and these kinds of things came up. It may be a case of friend said my mom said that I can't be nice to SM because she is not my real my mom,or something like that. But really who knows, there are three thousand million reasons that he may have behaved that way. But in the end, he was trying to show loyalty to his mom, and really you can't fault and 8 yo for that.

Could be a million things so I would chalk it up mostly to age. He might have also felt intimidated by DD's birthday and having his Mom there might have been weird for him too.  But maybe he was always uncomfortable with people calling you his Mom and he only got up the courage to correct them now?  I can understand being hurt that he ignored you but realize that he probably felt uncomfortable and unless it happens again I would let it go.  If it happens again I would try to talk to him one on one and ask if he is upset.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Thanks.  I will definitely talk to him if it happens again.  

He's 5 by the way, not 8 - not sure how that got confused.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"