Health & Exercise
Options

Morbidly obese

I am morbidly obese and am starting to exercise more and eat better. I'd really like to try yoga but I am worried that I won't be able to do what they will require of me, and that people will think it is bad/wrong for me to be there.

Do you think I should try a DVD first or go to a class first? 

I really want to be healthier and get so upset when I get treated poorly or gawked at when I am trying to better myself. 

I do swimming, walking, and elpitical. I have tried doing weights but am not serious about that yet.

photo maymommy2014.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Morbidly obese

• Options

Personally, I would try a DVD first. Yoga was forced on me when I was in high school in my drama class and I absolutely hated it, but I had to do it in class for participation. I think that you would get a different vibe at different yoga classes. Some instructors are better than others. You could try renting/borrowing a couple different Yoga DVDs and try them out. Then later, look into classes at different gyms.

If you are worried about how you will get treated, you might want to look into a gym that has a "no gawking" policy. I know that Planet Fitness has one in place. Our local gym here is fantastic and even though I'm at the final stretch in my pregnancy, I haven't felt bad about myself or anything (I was an 18-20 pp). Or look at an all women gym, like Shapes. Some have a week pass that you can get for free so you can try their different classes.

Good luck!!!!!!  

• Options

First off I want to say I'm proud of you!  That is great that you are making the decision to change your activities and food intake to better your health.  Remember this is a journey and you need to take this a day at a time. 

I would recommend like heather said above to try a dvd first.  You can even go to your local library or even blockbuster or netflix and rent some beginer yoga dvd videos.  After doing the video a handful of times you will familiarize yourself with the different yoga positiions, this will make you feel more comfortable when you go to a class.  I also would recommend when you make it to class to go early so you can introduce yourself to the teacher, let her know you are new and would appreciate any help.  They love to help! 

Yoga is wonderful, but remember if you are overweight you are going to want to really focus on cardio activity and weight lifting into your workout regimine.  If you do or looking to join a gym I would highly recommend checking out some lifting classes.  My gym has them and they are wonderful.   You work alll your major muscle under instruction from a teacher and can do it at your own level.  

Don't forget to first check with your doctor to make sure you are healthy to move foward with this. Biggest recommendation I can give is to first make sure you are keeping track of what you are eating and then make sure you mix up what you are doing for a workout.  If you join a gym that has classes this is a GREAT way to mix up your routine and keep you going in cardio for a full 60 min.  Remember this is a journey, take it a day at a time.  You can do this!! 

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey there! I used to be morbidly obese too but got down to a healthy weight pre baby #2. (220 to 140, currently obese again but lsing it slowly)Yoga is a great thing to be part of your workout. If you're worried about gawking (I was too at first) doing a DVD or following one of the programs on the FitTV station is a great way to start. The Oxygen Network, if you get it, has a wonderful yoga class on in the mornings called Breathe. Just remember that yoga should only be SOME of your overall weight loss plan. Cardio and lots of it will get those pounds off. I personally like interval training, and high intensity intervals called Tabata. Might I suggest a site like www.sparkpeople.com to get you started? The site will help you figure out, for free, what you need to do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Good for you, thats awesome! I would say try a class, really try a class. Make a point to go to a class for a  couple of weeks before you give up on it. I understand that you may feel strange at first being a newbie to yoga but we have all been there. Anyone who thinks that you dont belong there is a skinny b**** and needs to go eat something. You have the same right to go as anyone else. Personally when I see a larger person in our yoga class or at the gym, I am thinking good for them not bad thoughts like you are thinking. I would be happy to see you there.

Congratulations! You can do it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would try a class, because yoga is something that is really helpful to learn from an instructor. A lot of times you don't realize you're not doing the pose quite right and then the instructor will come by and say something like, "try to flatten out your back" and all of a sudden it's like, Oh! now I feel it!

A lot of yoga places have beginner classes, so I doubt you'd feel out of place there. There will probably be all ages, sizes and types in an intro class.

Another thing is, a yoga studio will have things like bricks and straps that will make poses easier if you're not very flexible.

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Options
    When I see overweight or obese people at the gym, my first thought is "Good for them." Very few gym goers would judge someone for being obese if they are obviously there trying to get healthy. Be brave and take the class. One thing about yoga is that even if you are super fit it can still be challenging for newcomers. All yoga fans know that and I doubt anyone will judge you! Go for it!
  • Options
    i was weary about yoga myself, so i decided to try a dvd. i got denise austin's 28 days to a yoga body, and now i'm doing jillian michael's yoga blast. they're both great because the way they do it it's not just about strengthening and poses, but about burning calories with the constant movement. really gets your heart rate up. i'm looking into trying a class now that i feel more comfortable that i can do the poses and know what the hell they're talking about. GL & great job!
  • Options
    beyogabeyoga member
    Good for you!  I would say try a class.  I've been doing yoga for years and even now when I do Bikram (hot yoga) there is a wide range of ages and sizes.  
  • Options

Congrats on your plans and good luck!

I was perusing yoga books & dvds at Borders (they have a good section) and there was either a book or a DVD (i don't remember which) specifically about yoga for larger people. You could probably find it on Amazon. 

I don't know if you'd be willing to spend $40 - $60, but you might want to schedule a one on one personal yoga session. It's REALLY easy to injure yourself in yoga if you don't know how to accomodate your body type. Just one personalized session with a certified yoga instructor could give you TONS of good tips/advice. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagelindsay.lou:

I don't know if you'd be willing to spend $40 - $60, but you might want to schedule a one on one personal yoga session. It's REALLY easy to injure yourself in yoga if you don't know how to accomodate your body type. Just one personalized session with a certified yoga instructor could give you TONS of good tips/advice. 

This. 

But I absolutely recommend going to classes over just trying a DVD. Most yoga studios have Gentle or Beginner classes that are really helpful. You'll be surprised who you'd see---a whole variety of people, young, old, recovering from illness or injury, big, small, etc...

If you live near/in a major metropolitan area there's a good chance that some yoga studios there offer yoga for 'bigger bodies', either in class or seminar form. The yoga studio I go to does a weekend session a few times a year.

Good luck!

DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"