Stay at Home Moms

When Did You Start Using a Toddler Bed?

I'm trying to decide on sleeping arrangements for when #2 is here and having a tough time, because I have no idea how it all works, at what age kids move out of cribs, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When Did You Start Using a Toddler Bed?

• totally depends on the kid.

I don't plan on moving Gisele out of a crib any time soon- for a couple of reasons. biggest one is that she doesn't mind the crib- she doesn't clib out of it and if its not broke don't fix it.

What I did- I found a GREAT deal not that long ago on a Graco convertible crib WITH mattress (had an A- rating in baby bargains) for 100.00 shipped. I figured- worst case scenario we still put gisele in the crib if she isn't climbing out by the time #2 comes (28 months) ~ if she is climbing out we will use the second crib as a convertible daybed/toddler bed (and later full bed). For 100.00 it was just worth the peace of mind to have another crib (and mattress) ready in case she isn't ready. plain and simple.

I just KNOW that if gisele goes into a toddler bed before she is ready our naps are going to go out the window. I am not prepared to take that gamble. Not with a newborn and a non napping toddler. She naps great so why take that chance.

DH really fought me on the fact that we were buying another 'crib' per se. but i told him- it is a crib that converts and we have the option. (her crib now converts as well)

So for me it was 'done and done' ~ and that is what i am going with- until Gisele changes her plans on me.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ditto PP - depends.  G was in a twin bed at 23 months because he was climbing out of his crib. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We were planning on doing it soon because ds was finally sleeping better.  Now he is regressing, yet again, so I'm not sure.  I worry with him waking in the middle of the night that he will get out of bed and be all over his room.
  • Okay, guys, thank you - We'll hold off for a bit!
  • We switched DS from his crib to a twin bed 1 month before he turned 3. The vast majority of my friends waited until age 3 and had no problems (DS did great, he still has never gotten out of bed when he isn't supposed to, sleeps great in it, etc).
  • I personally am not a fan of toddler beds. I feel like that will be yet another thing to transition. We did not want to buy another crib even though Mo was a good sleeper. We ended up putting Maeve in the PnP bassinet in our room for her first 3 months. We transitioned Mo from the crib to her big girl bed (single bed) right around her second birthday without any real issues. I don't think I would have transitioned her any earlier then that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Parker was 18 months.  We needed the crib for Rowan.
  • She was climbing out at 18m so we switched then. And before anyone asks, the crib was all the way lowered. She'd put one leg up on the top rail, jump with the other leg, and lean over to kind of heave herself over. Yeah. Awesomeness.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Jude jumped out at 17 months but then never did it again.  We switched him at 2 because we moved... to a twin bed, not a toddler bed.
  • Every child is different.  We moved DD into her bed right after her 2nd birthday and never looked back.  She wasn't climbing out of her crib or anything when we made the switch...we just thought she was ready for it.  She has a cousin her age who was in a bed and she asked for a "big girl bed" after seeing it.  I honestly think we could have moved her sooner. 
  • We moved DD into a double bed with Magic Bumpers the week after her 2nd birthday, that way she'll have 3 months to get used to her new bed before DD#2 comes.  So far it's been a super easy transition- no issue with bedtime or naps.  Good luck!
  • Crib to toddler bed: 2 yrs 10 months

Toddler bed to twin bed: 3 yrs 10 months

My philsophy is: don't mess with what is working, i.e. don't take a kid out of a bed they are happily sleeping in.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • imagealmostjennifer:

Crib to toddler bed: 2 yrs 10 months

Toddler bed to twin bed: 3 yrs 10 months

My philsophy is: don't mess with what is working, i.e. don't take a kid out of a bed they are happily sleeping in.

Ditto, except DD#1 moved to a toddler bed at age 2, and a twin at age 3.

DD#2 is STILL in a crib and she turned 3 in May. We're going to transition her into a toddler bed in the next couple of weeks.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I moved Jordan to a toddler bed when she was 2.5 and she did great.  She was the kind of kid that I could tell to stay in bed and go do sleep, and she listened.  Ben is going to be a whole other story, I just know it.  He will be 2.5 next month and is still in the crib.  We are considering trying the toddler bed only because he stopped STTN a year ago and I'm desperate and willing to try anything at this point. 

Plus, a woman in my moms group has a son who regressed w/ his sleep too and when they moved him from a crib to is toddler bed, he started sleeping all night again (and she has a friend who had the same thing happen).  I know that all kids are different and that because they had success with this, it doesn't mean that I will.  But like I said, I'm desperate - and exhausted.

• imageseans_grl:

Plus, a woman in my moms group has a son who regressed w/ his sleep too and when they moved him from a crib to is toddler bed, he started sleeping all night again (and she has a friend who had the same thing happen).  I know that all kids are different and that because they had success with this, it doesn't mean that I will.  But like I said, I'm desperate - and exhausted.

You may have just sold me on trying it.  His crib converts so if nothing else we would take the rail off and put the side back on.

• 21 mos (converted crib to toddler bed) because she crawled out of her crib.
  • Hey girl!

Emily is 3 years 10 months and is STILL happily sleeping in her crib!  She's never even tried to climb/jump out and we aren't "messing with what isn't broken" as a PP so eloquently put it.   :)

Best of luck!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• imageseans_grl:

I moved Jordan to a toddler bed when she was 2.5 and she did great.  She was the kind of kid that I could tell to stay in bed and go do sleep, and she listened.  Ben is going to be a whole other story, I just know it.  He will be 2.5 next month and is still in the crib.  We are considering trying the toddler bed only because he stopped STTN a year ago and I'm desperate and willing to try anything at this point. 

Understandably - I'm curious as to whether it works - Please update when you try it! 

• We moved my DD to a toddler bed just before her 2nd birthday and she's done great.

Other people I know IRL however, are waiting until the last possible second...my nephew will probably be in the crib until he's 3. 

You'll normally want to move them when they start climbing out.

• I agree with all of the pp's that said it totally depends on the child.  

We are making an international move in September and do not want to buy a crib but do not want to ship the crib we have now.  DD will go into a twin bed with railings 6 weeks before her 2nd birthday.  We are taking the pack-n-play for the first few nights until we are all adjusted to the jet lag and time difference. I don't need a sleepy child running around a new house at 3am!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • DS is still in his crib. He doesnt try to climb out and we have another one on loan for this baby.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"