Military Families

Anyone at Hunter AAF?

We are PCS'ing at the end of October to Hunter and I'm trying to get an idea of where we want to looking for housing. Neither of us have visited the area, but from what I have read we want to stay away from the east side of town. Anyone have any ideas on where to look for somewhat new construction and a family friendly area?
Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone at Hunter AAF?

• i'm at ft. stewart, but work across the street from hunter. are you trying to be in savannah? pooler and garden city are nearby and a lot of people live in richmond hill (it's about 20 min away) georgetown (in savannah) is one of the nicer areas (it's closer to the 95 & 204). hth. let me know if you have anymore questions about anything.
  • DH is stationed at HAAF, but his/our place is downtown.  There are some Hunter ladies on the MN site who could probably be very helpful. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageL*Lopez7784:
    i'm at ft. stewart, but work across the street from hunter. are you trying to be in savannah? pooler and garden city are nearby and a lot of people live in richmond hill (it's about 20 min away) georgetown (in savannah) is one of the nicer areas (it's closer to the 95 & 204). hth. let me know if you have anymore questions about anything.

I'm in Savannah.  I've lived here for 24 years.  H is stationed at HAAF. 

Garden City and Georgetown are two of the last areas you want to go to.  100% of Garden City is ghetto and the crime is terrible.  George Town is less than 5 miles from the back gate, but it will take you over an hour to get to and from in the mornings and afternoons.  There are also several developments who are having issues with mold.  They also have problems with break ins in that area.

Richmond Hill is a bit far if you are going to be at Hunter.  I have a few friends who live out there.  They like the area,  but they hate the drive back and forth. 

I would recomend either the Berwick area out near Pooler or the islands (Wilmington, Whitemarsh, Talahi and Oatland). 

Berwick is a 15-20 min commute.  There are some restaurants and shopping out there.  You are 15 min from the Historic District of Downtown Savannah.  It is a pretty new area and is quickly growing.  There are really nice apartments out there and rental homes are easy to find.  If you want to go out but stay close to home, you are very limited. 

If you go to the islands, the commute is 20-30 min, depending on traffic.  You are 15 min from Downtown and 10 min from the beach.  We live on the islands.  It is very easy to find a rental home.  Apartments are easy to find.  The area is older and more established.  We have plenty of shopping and places to eat.  Night life on the islands is pretty decent, too.  There are several places out here who feature live music on the weekends.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I don't mind answering.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Husband was at Ft. Stewart and we used to live in Georgetown, it`s kinda nice because it`s right next to I-95, but is a 20 min. drive to Hunter. You will love the Area, it`s very nice and Savannah is beautiful. I love Riverstreet.

• TX, you're who I had in mind when I told her post this on MN. 

OP, she has amazing food recs too.  Just ask my thighs.

• imageemmeelou:

TX, you're who I had in mind when I told her post this on MN. 

OP, she has amazing food recs too.  Just ask my thighs.

HAHA!  Thanks.  I do love the food in this town.

• you lived in georgetown going to stewart? ugh that must have sucked. i hated the daily drive from hinesville to savannah, it was an easy drive that way but i'd see tons of cars going towards stewart in the morning and blah. no thank you.

• Thank you so much! I have been looking at houses on Google maps and we had Georgetown and Garden City down because of how close to Hunter they are. I'm thinking we will stick to the Pooler/Berwick area and check out the islands. Thanks ladies!
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • o0o0o0o I love the food there, I recommend the Indian Food Resturant by the food court entrance of Oglethorpe Mall, I love love love that little resturant. It's very very good and the price is not bad for the amount of food they give you =)
  • Oh, there is a place on Skidaway near Victory Drive called Sisters of the New South.  Blows Paula Dean's place out of the water!!  For $6.95 you get a meat, three veggies, a roll and a drink.  The plates and portions are so big, my husband got a to go box.  I have never seen my H get a go box.  The man will sit and eat until he's sick.  The food was so good.  Highly recomend it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"