Military Families
Options

The commissary is killing me.

DH is a DOD civilian (former Army) and we are living in Germany.  In the states I had a number of resources to help save money at the grocery store that just aren't available here.  The monthly total that we spend at the commissary has really surprised DH and I - and we're not spending frivolously at all. My big splurge is ice cream - so $5 a month maybe.

I try to buy what I can at the local ALDI - I saved a lot there at home - but it isn't really saving me much at all.  Do you have any suggestions on keeping the grocery bills down while living overseas?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The commissary is killing me.

• Options

Our biggest cost saving here is making casseroles in bulk.  I will triple the recipes (making as many different recipes from the same ingredients) and freeze them.  I have about 14 recipes.

Yes, it gets a bit boring, but at the same time I only have to cook 3 nights a week for a month.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    imageIlumine:

Our biggest cost saving here is making casseroles in bulk.  I will triple the recipes (making as many different recipes from the same ingredients) and freeze them.  I have about 14 recipes.

Yes, it gets a bit boring, but at the same time I only have to cook 3 nights a week for a month.

can you share some of your recipes?! pretty please?!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were in Germany for almost 4 years.  I just kind of dealt with it.  You can use expired coupons though.  Sometimes my family would have good ones for things that I would actually use so I would try to remember to use them.  On the base I was at they also had some containers of coupons that you could go through.  I did that a few times.  I am finding that where I am now I am having to spend more than I did at the commissary in Germany, especially for meats.  I think I just suck at grocery shopping though lol.
  • Options
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked white rice ( I bought the premade microwaveable rice for ease which comes to 1 full cup cooked)
    1 cup water
    1 pound pork sausage
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup diced fresh tomato
    4 cups cubed zucchini squash (I used yellow squash too)
    2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
    1 (8 ounce) package processed cheese food, cubed
    1 pinch dried oregano (I used my own fresh oregano - soooo yummy)
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1.Combine the rice and water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
    2.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    3.Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until evenly browned. Drain excess grease. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes, and cook until tender. Stir in rice, mushrooms, and cheese. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish, or a 2 quart casserole dish.
    4.Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned and bubbly.
  • Options

This is one of my DH's favorite. And it makes enough to freeze for a second meal (using freezer bags - lay the soup down flat to freeze and then you can stand them up!)

2 lbs. Italian sausage (1 lbs hot, 1lbs regular)
    2 med. onions, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    4 carrots, peeled and diced
    4 sm. zucchini, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    3 c. dry white wine
    8 c. chicken broth
    2 (28 oz.) cans tomatoes
    2 tbsp. dried basil, crumbled
    1 tbsp. dried oregano, crumbled
    1/2 tbs Salt
    1 tsp freshly ground pepper
    2 c. uncooked orzo (rice shaped pasta)
    *parmesan for topping

Remove casings from sausage if you buy links; discard. Brown in heavy Dutch oven, mashing it with back of a spoon until no longer pink. Spoon out most of fat and discard.

Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring until soft but not browned. Add carrots, zucchini, peppers, wine, broth, tomatoes, basil and oregano and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10-15 min (check your veggies - if you want crunchy, simmer for shorter time)

Bring soup back to boiling, season with salt and pepper, and add the orzo and cook 15 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when serving. (It may be frozen.) Yield: 12-16 servings

*** If you are going to cook to freeze for future use, cook the orzo for only 11 minutes.  When you reheat the soup on the stove, the orzo will start cooking again. 

• Options

All in one casserole - this one is an iffy freezer.  It seems to get freezer burn easily.  HOWEVER, its really yummy.

2 tablespoons olive oil 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into small cubes 2 (8 ounce) packages sliced fresh mushrooms salt and ground black pepper to taste 1 pinch garlic powder, or to taste 3 zucchinis, cubed 2 sweet potatoes, cut into cubes 2 large red potatoes, cut into cubes 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
    2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the chicken and mushrooms until the chicken breasts in the hot oil until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and remove from heat. Stir in the zucchini, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup of olive oil; transfer to the prepared baking dish.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork about 1 hour.
  • Options
    1 pound dried rigatoni, fusilli or small shells
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 cup crushed tomatoes in heavy puree
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 8 ounce package of Italian blend cheese, divided (mozzarella, mild cheddar, provolone, and asiago)
    1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
    2. Boil pasta three minutes less than the package directs in plenty of well-salted water and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the cream, crushed tomatoes, basil, 1 1/2 cups of Italian cheese blend, and gorgonzola cheese.
    3. Add cooked pasta to the cream and cheese mixture. Stir to combine. Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup of Italian cheese blend. Bake for 30 minutes, or until top is browned slightly and pasta is bubbling hot. Serve immediately.

I leave out the goronzola because if can be expensive or hard to find here in Germany.  I will substitute pecoromano cheese.

• Options
    • 1 package (12 ounces) egg noodles, cooked and drained
    • 2 packages (10 ounces each) fresh spinach
    • 2 cans (6 1/2 to 7 oz each) tuna, drained
    • 1 large jar (4 ounces) diced roasted red peppers OR sun dried tomatoes in oil. 
    • 2 teaspoons grated onion
    • 2 cups grated mozorello cheese, divided

Preparation:

1. Combine the cooked noodles, well-drained spinach, and remaining ingredients,
    2. reserving about 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the casserole.
    3. Cook in covered casserole in 350? oven until cheese is bubbly.
      Serves 6.
  • Options
    someone mentioned using expired coupons, i think you can use them up to 6 months past the expiration date.  at our base the airman and family readiness center and post office usually have bins of them. 
  • Options

I just got this link in my email (we get emails from military.com):

https://familyunitpg.com/  

• Options
    Have you considered going out to German stores to do your shopping?  DH and I are living in Italy right now and the commissary is actually much more expensive, even after the exchange rate, than the grocers and produce stands in town are.
  • Options
    LinnyaLinnya member

imagedesmerelda317:
    Have you considered going out to German stores to do your shopping?  DH and I are living in Italy right now and the commissary is actually much more expensive, even after the exchange rate, than the grocers and produce stands in town are.

Oh, yes - I regularly shop at the ALDI nearby and have occasionally shopped at other German stores.  We also sometimes go to the Farmer's Markets here.  We have the added problem of celiac disease, though, so I have to be able to read every label or buy only products that I know are gluten free or are clearly marked gluten free.  Not a problem with produce, of course.  In the states there was a clear savings when it came to shopping at ALDI, but not as much here.  There are certain things I can get cheaper there and the rest...for now I'm stuck with the commissary.  I'm working on my German label-reading skills!

• Options
    Thank you, Ilumine, for posting all those recipes!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"