D.C. Area Babies
Options

DS is congested, offer suggestions

He woke up Sunday in the middle of the night screaming.  DH went in there, rocked him, he fell right back asleep but he sounded really congested.  He then woke up again around 9am sneezing w/ green boogies.  We squirted some saline solution up his nose.  Since then everything that has been coming out has been clear but he's developed a cough and it seems like he has some chest congestion (sounds like he's rattling). 

I'm going to call the pedi first thing this morning, but do you mommas have any suggestions?  He's 15 weeks today. 

TIA ~ Theresa

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: DS is congested, offer suggestions

• Options
    baby vicks worked wonders for us.  I put it on his feet under his footed pj's and a cool mist humidifier in addition to the saline and aspirator thing up his nose.
  • Options

My rec would be to take him to the doctor, which I see you're going to do.  My son gets really congested too and the doctor has him do breathing treatments.  We bought a nebulizer b/c it's much cheaper than renting one time and again from the doctor.  After a few treatments he always sounds much better.  GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pedi for sure, and everything already suggested. We also sometimes take ds into a steamy bathroom when he gets congested, it usually gives him a little relief.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you're really worried, we finally discovered the Nose Frida works a lot better than the bulb aspirator. If he's having trouble sleeping, you can have him sleep (somewhat) upright in his swing or carseat. As to the rattling, you definitely want to have that checked out. DS had something like that (rattling/wheezing) and we ended up needing to nebulize him. Like pp, we now own one. It's not fun but it works.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

DS just got over something very similar. The humidifier worked wonders for him.  We also propped him up in his crib using his boppy to help with drainage.

He's probably sucking the boggers down his throat which is what is causing the coughing, which in tern is causing the rattling, as opposed to having fluid in his lungs.  I'm really laid back, so honestly, it doesn't sound like it's something you need to rush him to the ped for, but if you're more comfortable with it, go for it. 

A family friend who's a neonatologist told me not to worry unless the cough was in combination with a fever, diarrhea, vomiting, or a lack of appetite. 

- Andrea
    My Etsy Page

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto above: pedi, nebulizer & propping him up/letting him sleep in swing.  BabyCrown was about two months old when he had his first little cold and the dr. had us get a nebulizer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"