Stay at Home Moms
Options

xp - stocking the diaper bags - what's always in there?

Good morning!  I swore that I would only have one diaper bag, but I have 2 and he's not even here yet!  Do you keep your bag stocked all the time with it's own supplies, or both bags if you have more than one?  I don't mean diapers, clothes & toys, I was thinking more of rash cream, lotions, etc.  I'm wondering if I should buy small sizes of everything to leave in each bag or do you just remember to grab the stuff from your changing table/area when you leave for the day?  Also what about medicines? I have a small & large bag.  Do you keep medicine in your larger bags, or just grab a first aid type kit when you're going to be out all day?  And one more - the travel size wipes - can you refill those packs?  I've read that you can keep some in a ziploc baggie but it seems like it would be better to have the small plastic container as long as it can refilled.  Thanks as usual!
TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: xp - stocking the diaper bags - what's always in there?

• Options

you honestly don't need all of that stuff. even with a small little one.

I can't remember one time being out and about and needing baby lotion.

So I say- keep it simple. One thing to always have in your diaper bag/car is ziplock bags and plastic trash bags (grocery store size)- you NEVER know when you will need them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lujainlujain member

I have about a dozen diaper bags.  I only stock the bag that I'm currently using.  Each day before I leave the house I make sure I have formula, bottles filled with water, my Itzbeen, a bib, a onesie, diapers, wipes, and snacks (crackers, cheerios, puffs, fruit, etc.).

I don't carry medicine or a first aid kid in my diaper bag.  

As for travel wipes, I buy the Target brand and use those.  I do have a plastic container that comes with my Petunia Picklebottom bag, but the wipes tend to dry out a bit and I prefer to just use the Target travel sizes.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have small sizes of diaper rash creme I do carry a 1st aid kit at all times with my baby tylenal, hand sanitizer,eye drops.  

If you leave everything to be added to the bag b4 you leave the house you will forget some thing. 

I do keep small bags forr dirrty diapers. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DochasDochas member

Thanks everyone.  Some things the books just can't teach you as well as a Mom can!!

Tide to go - great idea.  I'm kind of excited to pack his little bag and I'm laughing because I'm sure that will get old in no time at all!

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Here's what's in mine:

*thermometer
    *nasal aspirator (bulb)
    *diapers
    *formula
    snacks
    *wipes
    *a change of clothes (only if we are traveling)
    sunscreen
    *diaper cream
    placemat (if we are going to a restaurant)

For newborns I would have the things marked with an * plus gas medicine and a couple of burp cloths. And 5 diapers at least, depending on how long you'll be out. I only have one medium-sized diaper bag, it's a neutral gray color so DH can also use it and not be embarrassed :)

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    BFab11BFab11 member
    I have diapering stuff (diapers, wipes, changing pad, wet bag, extra cover), spare outfit, hat, socks (never know when somewhere will have the AC up too high, and they take up no room at all), paci wipes, extra paci, light muslin blanket (also use as nursing cover), gas drops, bibs, burp cloths, and hand sanitizer. Plus my "purse" things: wallet, keys, gum, chapstick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageStacyc625:

you honestly don't need all of that stuff. even with a small little one.

I can't remember one time being out and about and needing baby lotion.

So I say- keep it simple. One thing to always have in your diaper bag/car is ziplock bags and plastic trash bags (grocery store size)- you NEVER know when you will need them.

Ditto. I have 8 diaper bags, although at this stage, I'm phasing them out. I just load whichever one I take.

I usually put in 1 cloth diaper, wipes, a wetbag, my wallet, cell phone and makeup case. I never have anything else in terms of lotions or medicines.

I do have a first aid kit in my car, as well as a "kid kit" (suntan lotion, bug spray, etc.).

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I keep a stocked diaper bag in each of our cars. They only come in the house when they need to be restocked. I tend to leave the bag in the car while out and about now too. When she was younger I carried it into every single place we went. Now I'll just change her once we get back to the car if needed.  I also keep some cheerios and goldfish in my purse.   
  • Options

You definitely don't need 2 bags. Most of your trips, especially initially, are going to be short trips to the grocery store or the like, and you'll just need the basics. For longer trips, you're likely packing for you as well and you won't need to put all that stuff in a diaper bag.

In our bag we have a couple of bottles, enough powdered formula to make the 2 bottles, a bib, a spare outfit, a burp cloth, 2-3 diapers, wipes, her changing pad, and maybe a random item (like a toy, or the sunblock that's been stashed in a pocket for weeks). We usually don't use half the stuff that's in there.

For wipes, we have a case that came with her changing pad. We just throw some wipes from our "master stash" when it gets low.

• Options

Haven't read other responses but - BRU sells little plastic containers that you can put wipes in.  They're cute - I bought one and just keep it stocked with a stack of wipes.

Here is what I keep in DS's diaper bag and haven't ever found I needed anything that wasn't in there:

Diapers (Obviously, usually about 8), wipes, small tube of diaper rash cream, pacifier in a little plastic pouch, so it stays clean, pacifier 'clip' (when DS was younger), a couple of small toys, a receiving blanket, changing pad, Wet Wipes, antibacterial hand cleanser.  Before I leave, I throw in his formula can and as many bottles (filled with cooled, boiled water) as I think I'll need for how long I'll be out. 

• Options

Also, agreed on little bags.  Arm and Hammer sells this thing at Target that is a little spindle... here, let me find a link for you - I love ours...

Can't find one.  It's a little spindle that has a rubber duck on top - You put the bags in there and can roll them out one at a time.  The bags are scented, which is nice.  I've found them very handy for holding diapers when I am changing DS, while out, and don't have a trash can readily available. 

• Options

I've never carried much in mine.

I carry diapers, wipes, wet bag (I CD), burp cloth, nursing wrap, gas drops, hand sanitizer, and tissues. Also I usually toss a hat and a few toys in depending on where we are going.

ETA: I always brought 2 spare outfits with me because when we used disposable almost every poopy was a total blowout. With cloth, we never have blowouts so I stopped. If I'll be gone all day (theme park, zoo, etc.) I'll throw a spare outfit in the stroller basket.

• Options
    DochasDochas member
    Thanks again everyone! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"