Maryland Babies

XP fro 6-9...Childcare question

A little background info: I was a 2nd grade teacher for 9 years.  I have a BA in Early Childhood Education, and my Master's in Elementary Ed/Reading.  I decided to become a SAHM, and am now looking for a child to nanny in my home on a part time (2-3 days/week) basis.

I live in Perry Hall.  It would just be my son and the one other child (preferably a baby).

Let's say I were to nanny your child for about 20-25 hours per week.  How much would you be willing to pay?  I'm trying to determine how much to charge. TIA!

Re: XP fro 6-9...Childcare question

• ucgraducgrad member
    I'm not sure. I would say to look at care.com at the other nanny listings and see what those people are charging.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most in home places I looked into charged $150-$180 for an infant full time.  I'm thinking for 20-25 hours per week maybe $120 as a max,it all depends.
  • Loading the player...
  • The most recent daycare we interviewed, the provider was charging $40.00 a day for part time care. So for three days $120.

• I pay about $200/week for a FT, licensed, in-home DCP.  So you would have be less than $40 a day for me, since you are not licensed.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • image.KRM.:
    I pay about $200/week for a FT, licensed, in-home DCP.  So you would have be less than $40 a day for me, since you are not licensed.  

Hmmmm, Interesting.  I did go to one of the meetings to see about getting licensed, and most of the people there who were trying to get licensed didn't even have a college degree.  So just because they are licensed you would be willing to pay more than to someone who has a bachelors in early childhood ed?

I just don't know if it's worth it for me to jump through all of those hoops to get licensed when I really just want to care for one other child. I already am first aid/cpr certified...I just don't have the SIDS training and my home hasn't been inspected by the fire department, which is required to become a certified DCP.   I guess I consider myself more like a nanny, and I know that nannies charge a lot more than $40 a day!

• imageamg2007:

image.KRM.:
    I pay about $200/week for a FT, licensed, in-home DCP.  So you would have be less than $40 a day for me, since you are not licensed.  

Hmmmm, Interesting.  I did go to one of the meetings to see about getting licensed, and most of the people there who were trying to get licensed didn't even have a college degree.  So just because they are licensed you would be willing to pay more than to someone who has a bachelors in early childhood ed?

I just don't know if it's worth it for me to jump through all of those hoops to get licensed when I really just want to care for one other child. I already am first aid/cpr certified...I just don't have the SIDS training and my home hasn't been inspected by the fire department, which is required to become a certified DCP.   I guess I consider myself more like a nanny, and I know that nannies charge a lot more than $40 a day!

Just my opinion here, obviously.

But yeah, I expect to pay more for someone who has "jumped through all the hoops" to be licensed, specifically for background checks, most current certifications and inspections from the fire dept/other officials.  Personally, I wouldn't worry as much about SIDS training, since you have a baby also and I would hope you would be up to date on that (vs. my DCP who has an 8 YO.)  

I would pay more for a nanny because they would be coming to my house - the convenience factor there, plus I know that my house is safe/will be childproof, so I would only have to do a background check and check their references.  And I would expect a nanny not to have their DC with them at my house too, KWIM?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • I use a center and it is just under 300 a wk.  I would say that with your background the right person would pay you more then an in home dcp.  The thing with your situation is finding a good fit.  You are only available a few days a week that will only work for certain people.  But someone that only needs part time care would be really happy to find you.  My LO only goes 3 days a week sometimes less.  We pay for full time.  It is hard to find part time DC for an infant.  I looked.

The problem with considering yourself a nanny is that you would want them to come to your house and you have your own child.  Usually a nanny comes to the child which is an added convenience many would pay more for.   

Just my .02$   

• Thanks for your input everyone.  I was thinking about charging an hourly rate.  I looked at some of the other nannies rates on sitter city/care.com and it looks like the going rate is anywhere between 10-20 dollars an hour. I guess I just have to be patient and wait for the right fit to come along.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"