LGBT Parenting
Options

PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

Updates??

IHO TheFamilyWay creating a registry:

Those w/children - What one thing could you really not live without (yes, I know, technically you could survive, but play along here)? And what one item did you get that you find useless?

Those w/children on the way - What item do you want to know more about? Or what item are you most excited to buy/use?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

• Options

The breast pump I hear good and bad things about about certain brands its driving me crazy, and the fact that I'm very bleesed in this area is a factor to... What I can't wait to buy would the crib we have been looking for the perfect one and I know once I see that crib in his nursery everything will kinda click.

• Options

Life with Jelly Bean is going great! Overall she is a very happy little baby.  She watches the world with amazement a joy.  Oh and the laughter! JB laughs for K all.of.the.time.  My heart melts watching them play and laugh.

While K is the laughter mom, I'm the feeding, care.for.me.when.i.cry mom. JB is still having ups & downs with daycare but since I'm just down the hall I feel like we're handling it as best as we can.

QOTD - The one thing we can't live without - the Snap-n-Go.  I use it every single day to get JB and I into my office.  It is soooo nice to put my work bag underneath, the diaper bag on the handle bars, my drink in the drink tray and just push us through several sets of doors and into the building.  

The one thing I could live without - sleep sacks.  I love the concept but so far we haven't used them.  Once JB is asleep, moving to get her into the sleep sack just wakes her.  Maybe when she is older I can put her in it before she falls asleep but for now they just sit in the closet.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ATP: It is amazing the personalities of our Little Ones. I can see them forming their thoughts and reactions. Their eyes move to exam what is going on, the tone of their cries tell you exactly what they need, and their morning smiles show how much they appreciate the new day...I learn so much from them. Honestly, I am humbled by them. With that said, our DD can let you know when she is upset! DS is pretty laid back and doesn't react too harshly when you are giving him something he does not want. Let's take the pacifier...if DS doesn't want it, he just spits it out, normally landing on his lap or by his side. On the other hand, if DD does not want her pacifier it comes shooting out of her mouth as if it we shot out of a cannon! One time she shot it completely out of her rocker/sleeper! I am so happy that they are different...makes things even more fun. ********************** As far as things I would choose not to live without, that would be the crib mobile (or the improvised Mommy mobile [please ask C about this one *wink*...emoticons are not working on my work pc]). The kiddos just love it and kick and coo as if they were at an amusement park. The item I find the most useless are embroidered pieces of cloth that you can do absolutely nothing with. (Maybe you can place them on the wall or something...but not my style.) I am all about names and monograms, but this one...uh, well, don't know what to do with it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

Yay! Love the QOTD! Thanks...

Update: DW and I unexpectedly got to see baby boy yesterday which was awesome. He's doing very well and is moving around like a champ! Unfortunately, the reason for the unexpected viewing is that I was in a car accident yesterday morning on my way to work. Blah. Luckily, all is well in our corner of the universe.

QOTD: You all have been so helpful to me while creating this registry. Thanks again. It's amazing all the junk these baby stores try to convince you is totally necessary. I'm looking forward to reading all your responses to the QOTD. One more question from me, we've registered for a tummy time play mat. Do you think it's also necessary to register for an activity mat? I think that's what it's called. You know, one of those mats on which the baby lays on his/her back and looks up at dangling toys. Is this useful?

• Options
    imagethefamilyway904:

One more question from me, we've registered for a tummy time play mat. Do you think it's also necessary to register for an activity mat? I think that's what it's called. You know, one of those mats on which the baby lays on his/her back and looks up at dangling toys. Is this useful?

You can find a play mat that does double duty. Jelly Bean seems to like her play mat and engages with whatever objects we hang from it.  I use the mat as her tummy time area too - just flip her over.  I know there are play mats that come with the little tummy pad to help prop them up for tummy time.  

• Options
    imageTwo*True:

You can find a play mat that does double duty. Jelly Bean seems to like her play mat and engages with whatever objects we hang from it.  I use the mat as her tummy time area too - just flip her over.  I know there are play mats that come with the little tummy pad to help prop them up for tummy time.  

ditto this. we didn't have a tummy time mat, just a play mat with an overhead thing and he had his tummy time right there. no reason to have both, really, unless you want to give your family/friends more options. you could always return or exchange one if you did get both.

• Options
    imageTwo*True:

The one thing I could live without - sleep sacks.  I love the concept but so far we haven't used them.  Once JB is asleep, moving to get her into the sleep sack just wakes her.  Maybe when she is older I can put her in it before she falls asleep but for now they just sit in the closet.

that's funny, we use ours almost every night, and have since he was big enough to use them. he would. not. be swaddled when he was tiny, he had to have his arms free and if they weren't he would wiggle and wiggle and fuss until he got them out. of course, he doesn't usually wake when we put him in his, either, and often we'll put him in when we change his diaper and get ready for his bedtime bottle/feeding.

• Options

E is having a good week.  We have a little water bug and she is most happy while swimming or splashing around.  I can't wait to get to P town next week to have her splashing in the ocean! 

Things I could not live without. 

Swaddle me sacks.  We loved them and they kept E all bundled up like she loved.  It was a sad day when we had to give up the swaddle.

Aiden and Anais sleep sacks and swaddle blankets.  Two when JB is bigger you will love the sleep sack to keep her warm at night.  The swaddle blankets are great since they are big and can really wrap your baby well.  They are also so useful for covering up from sun over the stroller or over her legs to block sun.  Side note that the NICU nurses loved these blankets the most and raved about them and they are the swaddle queens.  I learned from the best and boy could they burrito my baby up in those suckers!

I love my medela pump n style.  Ok I have two but when you are an exclusive pumper for almost 12 months you need two.  I did really like the symphony that I used in the hospital but I didn't notice much of a difference in them.  I just liked that the symphony had an easier way to adjust the pumping strength.  I would reccomend looking into what your insurance co will cover many will pay for a pump with a perscription from your ob and most obs will write the perscription.  Check it out my pump was delivered to me in the hospital before I was discharged.

On the pumping front I loved glamor girls nursing tanks.  I lived in them.

Hmm I could go on and on.  I have a blog post brewing about this topic anyway.  I should start working on that.

• Options

our little guy is getting so big and doing so much! he's figured out the (two) steps from our living room up into the hall and is working on figuring out the down. he's made it from the top to the middle but not the floor yet.

as far as what I couldn't live without, I love the little waterproof pads--like the 12x12 ones. I mean, I'm sure I could live without them, but they're so awesome for the changing table. we just put them under him and if there's a mess or an accident we can just toss that in with the diapers instead of having to wash the whole cover 5 times a day.

one useless item? probably the bottle warmer/sterilizer. we exchanged it for something else after it sat on a shelf for a couple of months.

• Options
    OH! and another useless thing? SHOES. babies do not need shoes, and on the few occasions we've tried to put them on he's out of them in 10 seconds.
  • Options
    imagessg73:

Things I could not live without. 

Swaddle me sacks.  We loved them and they kept E all bundled up like she loved.  It was a sad day when we had to give up the swaddle.

Aiden and Anais sleep sacks and swaddle blankets.  Two when JB is bigger you will love the sleep sack to keep her warm at night.  The swaddle blankets are great since they are big and can really wrap your baby well.  They are also so useful for covering up from sun over the stroller or over her legs to block sun.  Side note that the NICU nurses loved these blankets the most and raved about them and they are the swaddle queens.  I learned from the best and boy could they burrito my baby up in those suckers!

We used the Swaddle Me blankets a lot early on.  She has outgrown the ones we have and I've thought of getting others.  It's the sacks that I haven't found a use for yet.  I like the idea of using it block the sun though. Hmmm.....maybe I'll give it a try on one of our walks.

• Options
    imagessg73:

Hmm I could go on and on.  I have a blog post brewing about this topic anyway.  I should start working on that.

Do it! Do it!

• Options

Henry went to the doctor yesterday.  He is 90something percentile for height and weight - he's huge!! Got some shots, which made him cranky last night and seem to making him fussy today.  Otherwise, he's doing great.  He has kind of exploded vocally! He used to have one really chatty time of day - now, it's every time he's awake!  He makes so many adorable "oohs" and other baby noises. My heart melts.  Another big thing - he is now taking all of his naps in his crib in his very own room! What a big boy!   

QOTD Must Haves:
    1. Snap N Go for sure! Even though his infant carseat weighs a ton (because he's so huge, LOL), it is awesome to be able to just drop it in the Snap N Go without disturbing him and be on our way.

2. SwaddleMe - Didn't really need it at first, but once Henry's arms started moving around a ton it became a lifesaver!  Henry would have such a hard time falling/staying asleep because he kept wacking himself in the head!  The SwaddleMe is so easy to wrap him and leaves his legs loose, which is recommended.

3. Wraps - The Maya and the Moby. Could not live without!  I really liked the Moby for at home especially in the first month when he really liked to nap while being held.  That let me hold him and have my hands free.  And the Maya is awesome for shopping and errands.  I always throw it in the diaper bag, no matter where we go.

QOTD Useless:

imagebluedaisyus:
    OH! and another useless thing? SHOES.

Ditto!

I would say that full size stroller and crib were useless at first.  I wouldn't have felt right not having a crib, but I knew he wouldn't use it for a while.  And we have yet to use the full size stroller because the Snap N Go is easiest (I know we'll use the stroller when he gets bigger - but there was no rush to get it).

imageTwo*True:

Ditto this!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I am LOVING 4y olds. Don't get me wrong, I have liked every age - but there is a LOT to be said for independence. I still get excited when they go to the bathroom by themselves! :)

Carter has started doing this, "Mom...will love me even if I do something very bad?" To which I always reply, "Carter, I will always love you, no matter what you do. I will love you forever and always." This morning after Grayson knocked over my iced tea as we were leaving, Carter said, "Do you still love my brother even though he did something bad?"  Breaks my heart into a million pieces every time. I have no idea where he got the idea that I wouldn't love him. Sad

Loved these. You tie the ends to the crib and put the babies head on these. Then when the baby spits up at 2am, you don't have to strip the entire crib.

https://www.amazon.com/Quilted-White-Terry-Cloth-Sheet/dp/B0001YIAM0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1279745822&sr=1-6

these sippies are the best (NO leaking!) We still use them for drinking milk on our bed in the AM/PM

https://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Coolster-Twist-Click-Insulated/dp/B001QGHJCO/ref=pd_sim_ba_3

glad we bought the Bumbo used. Hated our Peg Perego Aria Twin Stroller. Loved our Baby Jogger City Series stroller. Should not have bought framed backpack carriers. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm late to the party but still want to help with the registry building :) DW and I are very minimalist w/ baby things (they really don't need a lot), so my "dont need" list is probably longer than most, but from what i can think of at the moment...

Love/need:

- snap n go

- ergo

- lots and lots of blankets in varying weights (rosebud hated all swaddle mes, ect, just a plain old blanket kind of girl - and we are still swaddling at nearly 9 months!)

- magic bullet, take + toss bpa free containers, more baby spoons than you think reasonable

- something for cosleeping (we got good use out of a travel crib through 6 months).  I never thought we'd be a cosleeping family, but everything changes when that little one arrives :)

- lots of white onesies including long sleeve ones

- jj cole bundleme

- we briefly used our bumbo, glad we had it, but glad we bought it used

- bouncy seat w/ vibration (okay, we could have lived without this, but it was lovely for when she was itty bitty)

- boppy (this thing has a million purposes)

- california baby bath products

Didn't need:

- mobile

- a fancy monitor (in fact, we didnt use any monitor at all until about a month ago)

- sleep sacks or jackets

- the big, bulky stroller/car seat travel systems

- swing, jumperoo, exersaucer (we do have an exersaucer passed on from a friend but i wish we didn't)

- changing table/pad (we have a beautiful one set up in our room and have used it exactly once. we use the pack n play as her changing and dressing station)

- shoes

- cutesy baby towels

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"