Pregnant after 35
Options

CVS

Hi ladies-

Anyone here bypass the 1st trimester screening and go straight to CVS?  I am considering this because I just feel the need to know earlier on and keep hearing about all of the stress that the screenings cause!

If so, what was it like?  Did you feel a lot of pain? Any side effects?  Would you do it again?  I am slightly worried about the risks...

Thanks!

Re: CVS

• Options

I bypassed the screen and just had the CVS because we wanted to know results for sure. The procedure wasn't bad at all. I've read others describe it as an intense pap and I agree, but mine wasn't even intense - it just felt uncomfortable like a regular pap/annual exam.  Going into it, I was pretty nervous, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  I did take the day off from work so I could go home and lounge on the couch because I expected (and had) some cramping but no bleeding.

I was surprised that I could see the needle and everything the dr. was doing on the screen - they do it with an ultrasound and you can see the needle/instrument.  Watching it made me feel better because I could see it wasn't anywhere near and not affecting the fetus.

Good luck!

And I would definitely do it again. Getting the call that the results were normal was a HUGE relief - much more so than I expected! It was probably one of the happiest days of my pregnancy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for your input.  This is what I need to hear!  I think I will be on this board a lot to help me through this pregnancy!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am bypassing and going straight to the CVS test per my OB.  I am scheduled for the end of July.  Hope we get someone's comment who has had it before.  I read a lot already and its rather safe and painless.  Good luck and congrats!
  • Options
    I did both 1st tri screening and CVS even though the results of 1st tri screening were excellent. We just wanted to be 100% sure. The physician tried to go trans-vaginally twice, which was a little painful b/c of the full bladder. It didn't work out because of the position of placenta, so he went trans-abdominally. It much faster and more comfortable, and it did work. I did, however, have a post-procedure complication, probably because of the first two attempts. A blood clot formed in the uterus and I had light bleeding/spotting for a few weeks after the procedure. THe baby was not affected though. Yes, I would do it again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I will definitely be considering it next time around!  I had very scary results from my combined blood work with the NT scan and had 3 days of non-stop worries and fears.  The CVS came back normal so I was one of those many who received a false positive.  The CVS was not enjoyable and I had cramping for about 24 hours afterward, but all in all, the relief of knowing your baby does not have chromosomal abnormalities is a HUGE relief.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I skipped the screening tests and went straight to the CVS.  I had it done abdominally and had no problems at all.  A bit of cramping, but really that was it.  I went home to bed for the rest of the day and was back at work the next day...just took it easy for the next few days.   I was VERY comfortable with my doctor, who I had done my homework about-- he is the chair of the OB dept at the hospital and could do this procedure with his eyes closed. 

Waiting for the results was the hardest part as it took about 2 weeks...but everything came out great. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I had CVS done through my cervix.  It was a bit more uncomfortable then a pap, but over pretty quickly.  We had a long time to look at the babies on the monitor, which was pretty cool.

I did have spotting for about a week afterwards.  It made me a bit nervous, since I hadn't had any spotting leading up to it. Luckily we had an u/s the following week to see that everything was fine, and the results were normal for both babies.

We went to a very experienced doctor, who came recommended from everyone, our OB and fertility doctor.  Given my age and the fact we did IVF w/ ICSI, we wanted to make sure early on that everything was really ok.

IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"