South Florida Babies

nursery design dilemmas

Well, they're not really dilemmas, but I could use some suggestions!

1 - We had decided on these Ikea pieces to coordinate with the Expedit bookcase and the modern crib already in the room:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50121250

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70141860

However, now I'm considering these two pieces instead:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90159571

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90121234  

I think they might be a better fit in the room b/c I'm afraid that once the 8-drawer dresser is assembled it my take up too much space.  The 3-drawer dresser is 20 inches narrower, so I also wonder if that will be too small for all the baby clothes.

2 - The baby's room does have a pretty big closet, but it has no doors.  So, this presents another issue.  All of the rooms (except the master) are missing closet doors.  This is not a priority at the moment since the rooms are unoccupied so I was considering adding drapes to the baby's room as closet doors.  I've seen it in a couple of nurseries and it looks adorable.  However, DH would rather just put in the closet doors to all 3 rooms at once and he thinks the drapes would eventually have to be replaced with closet doors anyway.  Which would you prefer and why?

3 - We're still missing lighting in the baby's room.  We agreed to a ceiling fan after reading about SIDS, but now we can't agree on a style.  I would prefer all white so that it doesn't stand out too much and blends in with the ceiling.  DH prefers something more modern and in a dark wood to match the furniture.  I don't want it to be an eyesore, though.  What would you go with?

There's also the glider issue.  They're so expensive and most are NMS, but I'm not even going to worry about that for now.   

Re: nursery design dilemmas

• 1 - If you think the room will look too cramped w/ the larger pieces, then go w/ the smaller ones.  Personally, we only have room for a smaller dresser (like your 2nd option) and we have 2 kids!  LOL  We are going to maximize their closet to make room for all their necessities... and hope that it is sufficient.  We are also going to only have current size handy, w/ the other stuff properly organized in bins readily accessible.

2 - If you have the means, IMO, go w/ the closet doors... unless you like the look of the drapped closets openings.  I've seen this a few times, and it does look cute.  If you already have a design / fabric in mind, and it is less than $60, hold off on buying doors.

3 - Undecided.  LOL  We have expresso color furniture in our room, w/ a matching colored fan - not an eye sore!  Not sure how a white fan would look in the room w/ the same furniture.  Maybe settle and get something more "girle" in white/pink to coordinate the decor?

Gliders / rockers are so expensive!  The one we are considering is a recliner in chocolate which we will eventually move it to the living area, as it matches perfectly w/ our furniture out there.  Yes, it is a bit more expenisve, but we have a use for it in the future (assuming it is still alive  LOL).  Try looking for something versitile that can later be added to another room... that way it doesn't hurt to spend the $.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 1 - I have the Expedit shelf (4 cubes by 4 cubes), the first Hemnes dresser you linked to (the bigger one) and the 2nd Hemnes nightstand you linked to. That along with the crib (Babymod Parklane from Walmart) and upholstered rocker (from BRU - forgot the brand now) were all the pieces we had in her first nursery, which was a really small room (like 10' square). I panicked once I got all the pieces in there because I thought I made a huge mistake and got the dresser too big, but my best friends came over one night and helped me figure the arrangement out and it ended up coming out awesome. Now that we're in the house and her room is even bigger, the furniture fits even better and more spaciously. Definitely measure everything out first and create a little floor plan so that you'll get an idea of how everything will flow. You can even use painter's tape on your floor to mark up to scale where the pieces will fit and you can see how much space there will be to walk around and how close together the furniture will fit. Since it ended up working out space-wise for us, I'm really glad I went with the bigger dresser. If Elise is anything like Emma (or rather, if your family and friends are anything like mine!) you will have more clothes than you know what to do with. We used up every square inch of space in that big Hemnes dresser and I don't know what I would have done with all that stuff if I had gone with the smaller one.

2 - No preference, really. It's just an aesthetics thing. I can't think of what difference it would make practically speaking. I've seen some adorable nurseries with draped-off closests instead of doors, and closet doors are closet doors. I don't think it matters. Just do whatever is more convenient for you now.

3 - Again, it's just an aesthetics thing. Both options sound good. You should take a picture of the room w/o the fan and then photo shop in a white fan and a dark wood fan to see how they look lol.

4 (glider) - I had my heart set on an upholstered glider and/or rocker but most were out of my price range. I ended up getting one at BRU that was the cheapest one I found and it had good reviews. I love it! It's really comfy and rocks well. I don't remember the brand now, but I think "ivory chenille" is somewhere in the product name or product description. They have it in chocolate too. Walmart had some inexpensive upholstered options too, but they were online only and the reviews were mixed. BRU had this particular one in the store as a floor model so I was able to test it out before buying it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • P.S. If you click on my blog link, you can see a bunch of pics of the exact pieces you are considering and see how they fit in a pretty small room. Once it was all in place, the room never looked or felt too crowded to me and I was so glad to have the extra storage space of the bigger dresser.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

I just found a site called floorplanner.com.  I'm going to try this out.

Although the room is very spacious, it just has a weird layout because of the two entryways - one from the hallway and one from the master bath.  I like that we can have access to the baby's room from our room, but the doors are set at opposite angles so you have to leave a wide open space diagonally across the room to allow for room circulation from both entrances.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"