Orange County Babies

Trying to decide between Daycare or Nanny w/2nd baby.....

DS is 2 and has been in an in-home daycare since he was 4 months, as both my hubby & I work FT.  Daycare is great, he loves it, but it is expensive....$290/week ($14K a yr). 

We'd like to have another baby by next year but not sure finanically if we can afford 2 little ones in Daycare. 

So we thought a Nanny at home with the kids may be a better option, plus she can help out with house chores & maybe even dinner.

Any thoughts/recs on which is better w/2 kids...nanny or daycare?  Any recs for nanny agencies in OC?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Trying to decide between Daycare or Nanny w/2nd baby.....

• This is EXACTLY what I am doing this minute and it is pricey. I feel like I am cobbling it all together. I think I am going to get a nanny a few days a week for the little guy and send the toddler to part time pre school. My MIL is nearby so I need to ask her if she is ok taking the little guy 2x a week. Is that an option for you? 
    www.jojofromtheblog.com Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Have you started looking into Nanny's yet?  I'm curious what the average cost is for a FT nanny.

Unfortunately my parents live too far and DH's parents are just not capable of watching the LO's. 

I'd really like DS to still  be able to have some sort of social interaction so maybe he can also go to preschool PT and have the Nanny PT.

It's tough & so expensive!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had to figure the same thing out.  Here are my thoughts:  currently your DS spends his days 'playing' and learning with his group of friends.  I know my DD has a great time at daycare.  I personally do not think it's fair to them to pull them out of their social and interactive envrionment and stick them at home with a newborn and a nanny.  That just doesn't seem like as much fun - or as good of a learning environment.

Of course a nanny is great for the new baby - but that is just not financially beneficial.  Good luck in your decision!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • TLC and OC Nannies are great agencies for Nanny's we love ours but it's not cheap.  $12-$15 per hour for 1 child is the average some go up to $18-$20.
  • We pay $12 an hour for 1 child, which is pretty average, although I know that some other girls on this board have found great nannies for less. 

As far as the cost goes, whether a nanny is more cost effective is largely going to depend on what type of discount they'll give you for having more than one child enrolled at the same daycare, I think.

• imageKristelRobin:

We pay $12 an hour for 1 child, which is pretty average, although I know that some other girls on this board have found great nannies for less. 

As far as the cost goes, whether a nanny is more cost effective is largely going to depend on what type of discount they'll give you for having more than one child enrolled at the same daycare, I think.

I agree. Also our nanny was slightly more than the daycares in our area. We also wanted a housekeeper. It will be cheaper with our 2nd with a nanny rather than daycare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"