Babies: 6 - 9 Months

What's the most unhelpful thing a visitor did when you had a newborn?

The post below made me think of visitors that came over when we had just brought Max home that really annoyed me...what's the most annoying post-baby visitor you had?

Mine:  My mom came over almost every day for about 2 weeks and just walked into my house, plopped her a$$ on my sofa, turned on the TV and just sat there waiting for Max to wake up so she could play with him...all while I was running around like a mad woman cleaning, cooking and doing laundry (not resting like I would have liked to have been doing).  If he didn't wake up soon enough for her she would start touching him, talking really loud right next to him and even sometimes picked him up without even asking me if it was ok.

So basically, you came over, sat on my sofa and watched me do housework with 25 stitches in my vag, woke up my sleeping baby, and then left---thanks a lot Mom!

Re: What's the most unhelpful thing a visitor did when you had a newborn?

• The day my mom came over to "help" and then ended up taking a nap. 

second was when a girl from work came over to see Silas, and while she was holding him she looked around and said "I'll watch him for a while if you want to clean up around here"

I wanted to punch her in the face. Instead I told her I was tired and asked her to leave. She hasn't been back since. 

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Oh man I would have been mad at her too sharmurph!!! 

The day that I got out of the hospital my WHOLE family came over for dinner (they brought it), but still it was overwhelming.  I was still learning how to breastfeed and my dad was acting like his normal a-hole self the whole time they were there.  He even had the nerve to ask what was wrong with me, because he said I was giving him attitude.  Are you kidding me???  I literally JUST got out of the hospital and I am exhausted. 

Plus, It really annoyed me that people called my home and cell phone 24/7.  Yes, I saw that you called and I will call you back when I have a chance.  I especially hated it when I was napping during the day.  I should have just turned my cell phone off and unplugged the home phone. 

• Loading the player...
  • My mother in law came the day after we got home from the hospital and stayed in our house for 5 days, did not lift a finger to to laundry, any chores, change a single diaper, or really help in any way. She made me feel uncomfortable about breastfeeding, left with DH to go out to dinner for four hours one night, and then I had to drive her to the airport. All she wanted to do was chat and take annoying video of julia on her camera and then talked darren into uploading all her video of her other grandchildren for the past three years and watching it one night. Can you tell I'm still annoyed?
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Walking in the door, with the exception of a few people!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Visited.

I'm not a people person normally but add trying to recover from a c-section and nursing and pumping because baby wasn't gaining weight to the mix, and I wanted to see NOBODY. I hated visitors those first couple of weeks. I mean why bother when baby is sleeping so much? Visit when they're more awake and you can actually interact a bit with them.

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't recall any one particular incident, but I remember how frustrated I was at DH's family stopping by constantly for over a week without calling first. I couldn't rest, DD was woken up several times, and we never had any real time to ourselves to bond.
  • MIL came for a visit the same day we came home from the hospital and wouldn't take the hint that I wanted Ophelia back to nurse after she held her for like over 2 hours and then wanted us to go out to dinner with them and just was really pushy and hard to get rid of. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Any time my MIL was around LO she went baby-stupid.  She seriously couldn't function--she'd stopped eating, talking, cooking, etc.  It was pretty frustrating.  And I hated it when she'd offer to come hold LO while I cleaned or something.  

I don't need help holding my baby--especially when he's in a good mood/sleeping.  After a csection I couldn't vacuum or sweep any of our 3000sqft house for like 2+ months!  Come sweep if you want to help!  Ugh. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I had Kane on the 21st. I told everyone in my family that I wasn't doing anything for Christmas. SOOOO, my MIL invited everyone (when I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE) in the family over on the day after Christmas so I wouldn't have to drive. Wasn't that sweet of her? Angry

AnniversaryPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • my MIL coming over non-stop w/out calling first and people coming by to see the baby.  I was sore, tired & just wanted to relax with my baby!
  • My SIL, BIL and their two kids (4 y/o & 4 month old) could not wait to see the baby, so they came over on my 2nd day home from the hospital after a c-sec.  They thought it would be nice to bring their pizza from the night before.  Yeah, thanks for bringing us your leftover pizza.  Plus we didn't have any paper plates so they just grabbed regular ones and said "oh, it's not big deal if we dirty dishes, you have a dish washer."  Yeah, at least putting them in there before you left would have been nice.  I was so PO'd when they left I told DH I didn't want any more visitors for like 2 weeks :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really didn't mind people coming over. And everyone who came over brought food, which was definitely needed since I couldn't stand up long enough to even make a sandwich.

The only ones that I was really annoyed with stayed for 3 hours. I was literally falling asleep while they talked with DH.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • WoW...that would SUCK @ss.  My Mom stayed with us for 2 weeks. She did all the cleaning cooking, laundry etc. She even got up with him in the night a few times so I could sleep. I have the best mom ever!

That said, the worst thing:  I had one of DH coworkers come over for a visit when Q was 2 weeks old. I did not want company and was PO'd he was there.  I treated him like crap, and couldn't care less. I was exhausted and had no sleep and a newborn and the hormones were going crazy. People should wait to be asked to come for a visit IMO.

Now I will never ask to visit a new baby...I always tell the people to call me when they are ready for company!

• My MIL and FIL also came over way too soon after DD was born. My own mother came by and told me that she would do the cleaning and cooking and my job was to take care of the baby. MIL was the total opposite. This is so irritating. (I see I'm not the only one) FIL just sat in our recliner watching sports and waiting to hold DD.

Furthermore, we would call and tell then that such and such days were goof for us to have them visit, only staying ONE night. They would come and weasle their way into three or four nights. Hello, MY HOUSE, NOT YOURS!

• at about 3 weeks pp my MIL had the nerve to make sure she let me know that "you can get pregnant while breastfeeding, and you don't want another one too soon, do you?  imagine how awful that would be?!!"

yeah, but having my MIL talk to me about birth control isn't awful at all.  Indifferent

i wanted to tell her to go shove it.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • My in-laws came and stayed with us (in our one bathroom house) for a week when LO was 2 weeks old.  My MIL said she came to help, but didn't help with cleaning, laundry or meals even once during the whole week.  All she did to "help" was hold the baby, which is what I wanted to be doing anyway.  I was having trouble with breastfeeding at the time and would have to feed LO every 2 hours. The feeding would take 45-60 minutes and then I would have to pump for 20 minutes, round the clock.  She commented on how long it would take and act like I was trying to avoid them.  The topper was when after not having slept in several days and keeping at this feeding schedule she asked me what I was making for dinner.  I told her that she could ask DH since he was cooking (he was home for Christmas break).  She laughed and said that was funny.  I almost slugged her. DH was off work, not full of stitches and not feeding the baby for more than half of the day, but it was funny to her that he might have to make a meal.  Really, she almost died. :-)  They are coming again to visit next week..... Wish me luck.
                      Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Pregnancy Ticker

• Reading these are too funny.  I would have LOVED visitors, even if they only sat here and talked to me.  My parents, sister, brother and 2 best friends came to visit the day we got home from the hospital and that was nice but then nobody else came after that.  I didnt mind visitors, how soon they came, or if they cleaned.  I actually just wanted conversation.
    Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
    Olivia- Due December 24th
  • UGH...it wasn't visitors I was all alone...BUT DH made the mistake of mentioning to my mom that we were going to baptize DS (she's not very religious) and her and my lunatic aunt who came into town got pissed and proceeded to cuss us out for 2 weeks. Actually, I will never forgive them. I had H1N1 3 days before I was induced, after 12 hrs had and emergency c-section. What I really needed what them acting like c*nts over something that was none of their business while I tried to recover and take care of DS
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • imageJen1231:

Oh man I would have been mad at her too sharmurph!!! 

The day that I got out of the hospital my WHOLE family came over for dinner (they brought it), but still it was overwhelming.  I was still learning how to breastfeed and my dad was acting like his normal a-hole self the whole time they were there.  He even had the nerve to ask what was wrong with me, because he said I was giving him attitude.  Are you kidding me???  I literally JUST got out of the hospital and I am exhausted. 

Plus, It really annoyed me that people called my home and cell phone 24/7.  Yes, I saw that you called and I will call you back when I have a chance.  I especially hated it when I was napping during the day.  I should have just turned my cell phone off and unplugged the home phone. 

The day I came home, DH's parents came over and brought his 2 nieces along (they were 2 and 3 at the time) They overwhelmed me to the point of tears twice before they got the hint to leave. I was not happy! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"