Preemies

when to take out???

So when did you take your preemie LO out in public for the first time. Next weekend is my sister-in-laws bday (she's turning 16).She wants the whole family to go out ot eat at a restaurant. So DS will be 12wks/1wk corrected. My DH and I are debating whether to go or not with DS. We would still go to my in laws house for cake afterwards. What are you thoughts?

Re: when to take out???

• We have been doing short outings to Babies R' Us for the past couple of weekends.  And my work gave me a surprise work baby shower at Old Spaghetti Factory last Sunday.  This restaurant had a sling whatchamacallit that you can put the car seat in.  And we passed the baby around the table with sanitizer.  We forgot to pack a pacifier and a bottle just in case.  And he got a little fussy towards the end of it, so we made a quick exit after the cake was served.  For me, the outdoors are more of a challenge than the indoors.  But I am hoping at my DS's pediatrician's appt. tomorrow that he will be at a good weight, and then I can start using our Ergo Carrier for the outdoors.  

My baby does pretty good in his infant car seat.  He just sleeps, and he really has done well with most of our outings.  I think it has been more of an issue for me with outings because I am trying to be perfect and it is easy for me to analyze everything as a new mother--I am still getting used to him being home and figuring out what works and what does not work.   

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • We waited until she was about 16 weeks old actual to take her anywhere other than the doctor's office.  However, (and hindsight is always 20/20) if I would have had my Moby wrap or Ergo sooner, I would have taken her out more.  Way more controlled, constant contact, and it keeps her out of her carseat.

I wasn't a huge fan of the carseat--she spent very little time in it.  I really don't remember keeping her in it other than when in the car.  But I had a friend who always had her baby in the carseat and she had a major flat spot, so I probably went to the extreme to avoid that!

3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• Loading the player...
  • Cara03Cara03 member
    Maybe we are being super extreme but our LO (born 24 weeks, 5 days) still doens't go out in public or into groups of people. He's 7 months actual, 3.5 adjusted. Our pediatrician said to still be really careful through this coming winter/RSV season so we don't anticipate doing public outings/groups of people until next summer. The isolation is getting very hard but I feel it's best for him. He's been healthy since we've been home from the hospital.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The day after she came home I took her to the park. The following day, we took her to her first pedi appointment, then went to a coffee shop very briefly (DH needed coffee). The following day we took her for a walk. The neonatologists and nurses told me to take her outside lots, just to avoid crowded indoor spaces (malls, movie theatres, airplanes, etc.) They said the supermarket is fine, just keep a blanket over the car seat and don't let anyone touch her.

I can't wait to go to the fair (coming to my area soon) and to the beach. At this time of year sun exposure is a greater concern than illness.

• I think it all depends on the age and health of the baby.  Our ped said we could return to church after 2 weeks but that we had to leave him in the carseat or make sure no one held him.  The no touch ban was lifted at 8 weeks.  I think as long as no one touches your child and anyone who doesn't feel well stays away, you should be fine.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Andrew came home (3 weeks after his due date) at the tail end of RSV season.  We only took him out to outdoor places or my parent's house.  No public indoor places.  We didn't take him anywhere public/indoor for a whole year.  The following May (so he was over 1 year adjusted) we started taking him out. 

he is a former 26 weeker and had a rough start with ventillation and a pneumothorax and collapsed lung.  I didn't want to risk it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"