Military Families

Alright. Those who PCS'd Overseas with an infant.

We're headed to Iwakuni, Japan in October.  Baby girl will be 10 months, and I was curious what you would pack in your express shipment, and what you would leave in your HHG?

Any advice?

Re: Alright. Those who PCS'd Overseas with an infant.

• We moved from England to Oklahoma when DS was 6 mos. We skipped the express shipment because we spent nearly a month visiting relatives before we went on to our duty station, but I don't regret it.

I'd choose only the stuff that you KNOW you'll need, and work with that. If you can take it with you, do it.

All we brought were some toys, clothes, carseat and stroller, and a few wraps that I used to wear him. Diapers we bought enroute, and food was really a non-issue. We did also pack a travel bed, because most of the time the "cribs" in billeting are decrepit ass PnP that looked like they were originally purchased in 1903.

Friends of ours PCS'd with a 6 m/o a few weeks after we did, and they express shipped his whole room. It arrived a few weeks after our HHG shipment, so they actually waited longer to get their unaccompanied baggage than we did for our entire house.

• Express shipment -

1. highchair,
    2. packnplay (if you do not bring it on the plane), TFL will have one for you to use while you are there.
    3. a good variety of clothes (warm to cold weather),
    4. all of her bottles/sippys/dishes,
    5. her toys/books 
    6. bouncy (something that will keep her stationary). 

Not sure about Japan, but in Germany, you cannot use certain monitors, so that was a waste for us. 

I WOULD make sure that you also have a good variety of clothes in your suitcase too.  We came in early Sept, but due to circumstances beyond our control, we did not get either shipment until the middle of October.  BRRRRR

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • My recommendation is to pack-out early.  We packed out April 1 and then DH had a class that he had to take stateside before we moved to Italy.  It was late May before we arrived in Italy and by the time we got a house, all of our shipments (both express and HHG) had arrived - so we got everything and didn't have to live without or be upset that we put something in HHG that we should have put in express.  Can you go on an extended vacation to visit family or something before you leave?  That would make it easier to do an early pack-out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just as a heads up, when we PCSed to Italy our "Express Shipment" and our HHGs actually arrived around the same time... with in a day or 2 of each other.  It took about 2 months from our pack out to receive our things.  So I wouldn't count on your Express stuff getting there very early.  I would make sure you put essentials in your luggage. 
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"