Minnesota Babies
Options

Pain Medications for Labor

I'm in the beginning stages of my second trimester and I'm starting to think about pain medications during labor.  We are hoping to have a vaginal delievery, not really sure which way to go. I would like to think I can do this without anything, but with this being my first, I have no idea how intense the pain will be.

So my question is did you choose to go with a pain medications, what was it, do you regret it. Any suguestions?

Thanks, Donna

Re: Pain Medications for Labor

• Options

Oh dear heaven, I got the epidural.  I had horrible back labor from the start and my contractions came hard and fast, I got maybe the time it took to get to the hospital before my contractions got unbearable.  I couldn't even imagine having to do that for 8 hours straight.  I was glad I did it and got some rest for the hard part.

My nurses were glad I chose to do it, they told me they'd do what I want but didn't need to prove anything, labor is hard enough even with meds. 

• Options

I had a water birth in my living room, so no meds. Like pp I had really intense back labor for 8 hours. I have no regrets not using meds though, but the birthing pool made all the difference. I know there are a few hospitals in the area that do water births, so you could look into that if you are really interested in a natural birth. You also should make sure that you are really supported in your decision for a natural birth by both your medical professionals and support system.  And you could always wait and see if you're not sure what you will want when you're in labor. Personally I knew I wanted to birth w/o medications so I made sure that could happen.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went drug-free and am very glad I did.

Drug-free was the way I wanted it from the beginning, but was realistic with myself that I wouldn't be upset with myself if I chose to go with drugs mid-labor.

I was already in transition when I got to the hospital (my total labor from first contraction to delivery was <2 hours) so I couldn't have had drugs if I had wanted them.

The pre-transition contractions were totally bearable, as long as I could move freely as I felt I needed to (which for me I could, since I was at home). 

The transition contractions were awful, but in my mind I knew that the end was near and that made them easier to get through.

The drug free delivery was the most empowering thing I have ever done, and hope to do it the same way next time.

Good luck making the choice that is right for you!

• Options

I completely believe that it is a personal choice and the only right decision is what you choose.  I refused to be swayed on this decision. 

I had my epidural planned the moment I found out I was pregnant.  I do not deal well with pain and did not want to go thru it.  I had to be induced and I only felt contractions for a half hour after they broke my water.  I relaxed with my epidural until I had to push.  I am so happy I got that epidural, it was amazing.  DD was sideways and it took me 3.5 hours to deliver her.  There is no way I would have been able to push that long without it.  I was completely exhausted and was falling asleep while pushing and on oxygen, if I was in pain I would have given up and had a c-section.  I have no regrets and I believe I saved myself from a potential c-section.  DD was born alert and bright-eyed after 9 hours with the epidural.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    imagembgreenwalt:

I completely believe that it is a personal choice and the only right decision is what you choose.  I refused to be swayed on this decision. 

I had my epidural planned the moment I found out I was pregnant.  I do not deal well with pain and did not want to go thru it. 

This is how I felt. Before I got the epidural the pain was unbearable for me. The epidural was a life saver. It made the experience more enjoyable for my husband and I. 

Photo taken at 16 months old
  • Options
    I believe having a flexible general idea of a plan is a good idea, but that too much of one can lead to disappointment when things don't go how you expect.
  • Options

My water broke at 5:50am and I had 2 doses of nubain total (around) 11 and 3? Other than that I had the epidural around 3:45pm and start pushing right after because I went from 7-9.5cm in less than 5 minutes.

I don't regret getting either the nubain or the epidural, I was originally against any meds at all but after talking with my nurse I made it an option if I wanted it. She wasn't going to push it on me, but let me know that if I wanted it, all I had to do was ask and she'd get the ball rolling. Though, when I did end up getting it, it didn't kick in until after ds was crowning (because I progressed so fast) so that was pretty painful.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • Options

The moment I found out I was pregnant I knew I wanted to go med free. I visualized my med free labor from the start.

Ended up I had to be induced due to low fluid.  I did have an IV hook up for that and fluids :(  I was not thrilled about that, but knew I had to be flexible because it wasn't just about me, but about my baby.

I labored in the tub for the most part, it helped a ton.  I also practiced mediation before I was pregnant and kept practicing throughout the pregnancy.  It also helped me during labor, I was able to escape pretty easily.

There are many ways to help you through.  The body is amazing and has amazing ways to help you deal with your pain. 

More importantly- once the baby arrives you totally forget about the pain.  I am glad I went med free.  I was alert and so was my little girl.  I felt exhilrated after giving birth. 

Good luck with your decsion.  You will do what is right for you and be happy with your decsion. 

If we have another baby, I will go med free again. 

• Options
    I would have liked to go drug free, but I kept an open mind. As it was, I was induced at 41 weeks and that took 48 hours.... and about 36 of those included some heavy duty back labor. By the time I got to 5cm, it was 24 hours into it and I was exhausted because I couldn't sleep.... that's when I got the epi and I LOVED it. I was able to get a good nap in and get a little rest before the pushing started. The drugs had actually worn off by the time I started pushing, so I felt it all. Truth be told, it sucked hard, but I did it... somehow...
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My only advide is to go in with an open mind, because things are not going to go as planned...

I was hoping to labor at home and go drug-free (if I could), but my water broke in the middle of Joann Fabrics 8 days early and I had to be induced and had excruciating contractions every two minutes and did NOT dialate.  They thought I would have to have a C-Section, so I decided to get the epidural and was able to relax and fall asleep and in two hours I went from a 2 to a 9 and had my baby on my own.

I don't mean to scare you, but just so you know...be ready for anything.

• Options

I was induced with DS1 and wanted no epi. I opted for a shot that took the edge off the pain.

I had a lightning fast one hour labor with DS2 and had no meds at all. But that pain was unbelievable and I was begging for something before the nurses declared that I was fully dilated upon arrival to the hospital, so it all happened so fast. I'm proud of myself for getting through it with no meds, but if we opt for baby #3 (undecided), I'm not sure I'd make it through that kind of pain for any longer than an hour without something, but I do plan to keep my record epi-free.

Mom to Jace (7/2004), Cade (2/2009) and baby girl (5/2019)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"