South Florida Babies

Split floorplan?

Nadia started sleeping in her own room at 8 weeks old. In my old house, her room was directly next to mine & I could probably get from my side of the bed to her crib in 12 quick steps. :-) I never even used a baby monitor! We haven't moved into our new house yet (it's under renovations) but when we do- Nadia will be sleeping at the complete opposite end of the house. :-/ I'm nervous! My insane mommy brain is thinking of all the awful things that can happen in the middle of the night. Ease my mind please.

Re: Split floorplan?

• I know there are plenty of mommies on here who live in homes with a split floorplan. I sure wish I did!

Things that make us feel comfortable (and this is without a split floorplan):

1) House alarm that goes off if any doors or windows are opened. We put this on every night, religiously.

2) Baby Moniter. I still use mine.

3) We keep her door closed. If she gets up, she cannot just wander the house. We have gotten her used to sleeping with her door closed from the beginning.

With those three things in place - your mind should be eased. She will sleep cozy in her room and you will sleep cozy knowing she is cozy in her room.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Same problem here!  We bought our house two months before we got pregneant, we fell in love with the house and never did it cross our minds that when we had a baby the room would be on the other side!

For the first 6 months she slept in our room, I had this huge fear of moving her into her room and that monitor and all we wouldn't get to her on time (like we live in a huge mansion! Jaja!).

Well the time came and we moved her and while my eyes were stuck to the monitor all night for quite a few days I realized I needed some sleep, that the baby would be fine and if she cried for milk or any reason, well that's what the monitor was there for and I would be there in a few seconds.

I hear you, it is hard and we mommies have crazy paranoid brains that can be very creative as we make up horror stories in our heads! It may take a few days before you adapt to the idea but trust me she will be fine, and so will you! 

Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • we live in a split plan and although my house is not a mansion by any means I still can't hear Aa when I am in my room. So we still use a monitor. We also set the alarm every night and because his room is facing the street we had hurricane tint put on...this way no one can break into his room without special tools to get through that stuff. My sister planted thorny bushes in front of her daughters window which is in front of the house also.

It will be fine just take what precautions you need to set your mind at ease :)

• Definitely house alarm and close her door. That's pretty much all we do. I don't use the baby monitor anymore. I can't think of anything that could possibly happen in the middle of the night that you wouldn't hear even from the other side of the house?
  • I must really be crazy. I'm not worried about her crying & me not hearing her because I know she's safe in her room. I'm more worried about a house fire or someone breaking in. We'll have a house alarm & we ordered hurricane impact windows for her room. But I keep worrying about a real emergency & me not being able to get to her.
  • When I was an infant, the house we lived in had a split floor plan... and we survived.  : )

BIL/SIL also have a split floor plan.  Niece/nephew when want mommy, have no issue walking the big house alone in the dark to get to them.  I think they have a couple of night lights along the way to help guide the kids in the dark.  Nadia will do just fine.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecocojack10:

When I was an infant, the house we lived in had a split floor plan... and we survived.  : )

BIL/SIL also have a split floor plan.  Niece/nephew when want mommy, have no issue walking the big house alone in the dark to get to them.  I think they have a couple of night lights along the way to help guide the kids in the dark.  Nadia will do just fine.

i agree. its just a matter of adjusting (for both of you). i also think that as mom's we worry way too much too often. i still sleep with 1 eye open and the other closed. id add a gate to her door, so you wouldnt just close her door altogether and can still here things. also, invest in a monitor. nadia will be fine!

ps. mady saw nadia in your siggy and she goes "adiaaaaa" lol

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks coco for the nightlight idea! She's going to remain in her crib for now & baby gated when she goes into her toddler bed, but nightligts will help me get to her room! :-)
  • I understand where you're coming from because house fires are also my biggest fear. My son is at the other end of a very long hallway and sleeps with his door almost completely closed. I have a smoke alarm in his bedroom and that puts me at ease knowing that in the very odd event that there is an electrical fire in his room, the alarm will ring at the first hint of smoke.  I don't consider break-ins a real threat becase our house is well lit, we have an alarm and impact windows. And I might be wrong but I think I heard somewhere that break ins into homes with people in them are very rare and almost always the result of someone you know or knows of you coming for a specific item like drugs, stashed cash etc.
  • My house is a split plan and our room is pretty far from alexis' room. We still use the monitor, I'd never hear her. In addition to the alarm that is on instant if a door or window is opened, we have the glass break sensors which will trigger the alarm if glass(like a window) is broken. The emergency thing scares me too, we have a few smoke detectors in the house, including one in the hallway outside her room. They are all linked together, so if one goes off, they all do, and we have one in our room too. And that's the reason I keep her door open, I have terrible thought about something happening and her being trapped in her room.
    image image

• You'll get used to it.  When Nicholas was an infant, the house we lived in had the master suite on the 1st floor and the rest of the bedrooms upstairs. I loved having him far away and not having to worry about talking too loud or turning on the faucet in the master bath, flushing the toilet, etc.

Here in NY the builders like to cluster the bedrooms close together, so the kids are only about 15 feet from us. I don't like it.

• We dont have a split floorplan but the master bedroom door is not near the doors to the other rooms.  We still use a monitor (even though he'll be 3 next month) just for piece of mind.  We have always had a video monitor becasue we like being able to see if hes really crying and needs us or just fussing and can self soothe.  He has always slept withthe door completely closed and if he needs to get up he can open the door himself (but rarely does). 

As far as a real emergency, we have an alarm system that beeps when a window or door is opened and will go off once we set it at night before going tio bed. As far as fire - we have alarms also hooked up to our alarm system.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"