Nurseries and Baby Gear

Ikea Hemnes Dresser

Hi Ladies... I know I've seen generally positive reviews on the Ikea Hemnes 8-drawer dresser around here.  DH and I are probably going to head over to Ikea this weekend to pick it up, but I just wanted to do one last fishing for reviews - if you have this dresser (or even the 3-drawer - I'm sure they're similar enough to get a review) - how do you like it?  It seems sturdy in the store, the drawers seem nice and deep, etc.  Just want to be 100% sure before we go get it!  TIA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          

Re: Ikea Hemnes Dresser

• We have the 3 drawer version and put the changing pad on top. I'm very happy with it - if we had had enough space I would have liked (in retrospect) to get the larger one.

The drawers slid smoothly and are nice and big, and its a good height for changing on top. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I have this exact one, not in the nursery, but in another room and I love it.  It is very sturdy and seems to be pretty good quality for a put together piece.  It was a little time consuming to put together, but for the price it is worth it!
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the 3-drawer and I really like it.  I also have the Hemnes nightstands and day bed, so far everything has been of good quality and works well. 
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I'm getting the mirror chest for DD's room once we move the baby furniture into the new baby's room. It's super-sturdy and the drawers are nice and smooth. What I love about IKEA's drawers is they do that thing where they don't slam shut. They close 98% of the way and then something catches and they slowly close the rest of the way. Good for not slamming baby's fingers in drawers!!!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have the 8 drawer Hemnes in the nursery and as my primary dresser in the master. I have absolutely no complaints so far. It was easy (though time consuming definitely) to put together, even without words in the instructions, and the drawers are roomy and deep. The slides on the drawers are very smooth and overall the piece is heavy and sturdy. DH and I both at one point stood on it together to hang curtains and it didn't shift at all. I can't even move it without taking out all of the drawers and even then I can only pick up and shift one side at a time. We have our changing pad right on top and even at 30" long there's still plenty of room on the dresser for 2 lamps, a wipe warmer and other odds and ends.

When we bought the dresser at Ikea I made a point to pick up the pack of drawer organizers they sell (usually located right next to the display in the pick up area of the store). They've come in handy in the top drawers to separate bibs, hats, socks, and other stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the 8 drawer in our bedroom and loved it so much that we got the three drawer for the nursery. We put the change pad on top and it's the perfect height. The changepad does take up the most of the dresser top (I have enough room for a small lamp at the end), but the drawers are so deep that I find there is lots of room. The drawer organizers are a must :)
  • We have this, in white (I would have picked the new blue if it was around when we shopped), and we LOVE it.  It fits so much stuff!!  The drawers close nicely, as PP stated.

We got the set of Kompliment organizers, and they help enough...but they're not perfect.  You need something like that for the big drawers, because they are SO HUGE.  The little drawers are great - we have one full of burp cloths, another has bibs and lap pads...you get the idea.

On top, the changing pad takes a little over half of the space, then we have two smaller bins for diapers and diaper-related supplies.  We also have a small lamp on the end (also from Ikea).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH and I put our 8-drawer together this weekend and... I. AM. OBSESSED!  It is so much roomier, sturdier, and better looking than any of the dressers we saw at BRU or BBB or even the high end stores in my area.  I cannot wait to get my changing table pad and get everything in the drawers!  I bought the Kompliment organizers and have those in there now.  I use those in my own dresser and I love love them.  I plan on putting all the changing supplies in 2 of the top small drawers so we don't need anything on the surface of the dresser but a lamp and the pad.

We also bought the Hemnes nightstand (there are 2, we got the $59 one that is square) and the Expedit Bookshelf and they all match wonderfully.  We are waiting on our Bonavita Metro crib to arrive, but I matched them up before we purchased and they match great.

I heart IKEA!  Going this weekend for a ton of odds and ends for the room. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have it in the nursery. Love it. It's sturdy and has plenty of drawer space. The top is roomy: we have the changing pad, a basket of changing supplies, and a lamp.
  • We've had this dresser for about 3 years in our bedroom (we have both the 8 and 3 drawers) and it's pretty substantial, but we've noticed that some of the drawer bottoms are starting to bow because the drawers are made to be deeper but can't support the weight of all the clothes in them.  That's really my only complaint.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • imagechickpea912:

Hi Ladies... I know I've seen generally positive reviews on the Ikea Hemnes 8-drawer dresser around here.  DH and I are probably going to head over to Ikea this weekend to pick it up, but I just wanted to do one last fishing for reviews - if you have this dresser (or even the 3-drawer - I'm sure they're similar enough to get a review) - how do you like it?  It seems sturdy in the store, the drawers seem nice and deep, etc.  Just want to be 100% sure before we go get it!  TIA.

We have this exact dresser set up in our baby's room.  It is very sturdy, and we plan to use it as a change table too.  It's the perfect height for me (5'6") and DH (6') to change a baby at. 

FYI, it'll take one person about 3 hours to put it together, but is worth it. 

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have the 8 drawer long and 6 drawer tall dressers, as well as the double drawer nightstands in our master bdrm and love them! Of course their not quite as sturdy as high end furniture but definitely some of the best finds at Ikea. Love the yellow striped drawer bottoms and the Komplement organizers. As much of a pain as it might be, I would highly recommend using their in-store inspection area before you leave the store w/ your furniture, especially if you live far from the store. Between the 4 pieces we bought we were missing a drawer bottom and one of the dresser tops had a big split in it. Their customer service has replacement parts so we were able to exchange the dresser top and get the missing drawer bottom w/out having to return the pieces or exchange them but that was after we had taken them home and assembled them. Thankfully Ikea is right on the way to work for my DH so it wasn't too inconvenient.

Also, if you pay cash or debit you will get a 1% credit printed on your receipt for a future purchase. We applied this toward the drawer organizers and saved a little. It was worth it! 

• We have the white 8 drawer in the nursery and we LOVE it!  Matches our Graco Lauren crib perfectly.  Drawers are huge, slide nicely, and have a fun yellow striped bottom.  Top is the perfect height for a changing pad and there's a ton of room up there.
  • we bought the 3 drawer one last weekend. we changed the handles to a more modern looking stainless steel ones (also from ikea). DH put it together last sunday and it looks great!! we're planning to buy/design our armoire (also from ikea) and get the matching hemnes door. it's a great buy for less $!
  • I am also of thinking of doing this dresser in the baby's room. Are you going to go with an espresso or black crib? I am not sure which would look better! Anyone have it set up and think it matches a espresso or black crib better?
  • imagemxg912@yahoo.com:
    I am also of thinking of doing this dresser in the baby's room. Are you going to go with an espresso or black crib? I am not sure which would look better! Anyone have it set up and think it matches a espresso or black crib better?

We are using it with a black crib.  It is definitely way more black than espresso/wood colored.  You can only see the brown in it in the right light. 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"