Pregnant after 35

Creative Excuses, Anyone?

Okay, after my downer of a Newbie first post, here is a question I am hoping you ladies can help with.

It is summer.  Wedding season.  Graduation season.  BBQ season.  Numerous work events and personal family events season.  I have been known to enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine.  Or a couple, depending on the event.  Okay, truth be told my intense love of the martini is well known and notorious.  My godchildren have known since their toddler years what a blue cheese olive is due to them always being available at my house.  It is that bad.

Obviously there's no drinking going on at the moment.  But since we are not telling anyone the news until we hit the12-week mark, I have found myself running out of excuses NOT to drink.  (Or eat sushi, which I love like the air I breathe, but that's another story.)

This week alone I have to attend a retirement party, a closing dinner for a work project, a family BBQ and a dinner with friends. 

Over the past few similarly social weeks I've tried getting a glass of wine, taking a few fake sips, and deserting it when no one was looking, ordering club soda with lime in a tumbler (to approximate a vodka tonic), etc. but I'm out of ideas.

Has anyone had any creative excuses for not drinking in early pregnancy that really worked -- short of telling people you're pregnant? 

Thanks for your ideas.

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
BFP #2 2/2011
Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Creative Excuses, Anyone?

• 1.  work/event early the next day

2.  recovering from food poisoning

3.  trying a new experiment

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How about not drinking to help shed some winter pounds?  I used to drink a lot of cranberry and sprite with a lime.
  • Loading the player...
  • Nice one, Whirlgirl.  Falling off the exercise wagon is how I'm accounting for the bit of bloat I'm carrying around, so that would work well with the calorie-conscious excuse.

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• mwdmwd member
    How about, "Just took a cold pill,and I wouldn't want to drink on that!"  I had several work dinners before 12 weeks.  I tipped the waitress and advised her I was pregnant, couldn't annouce it, so when I order a vodka cranberry she should bring me a big glass of cranberry juice.   But I love the weight loss excuse, that can work every time!
  • Medication that can't be taken with alcohol and weight loss are very common. Disguising your drink is good too. Excellent suggestions!
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Personally I try not to tell lies when it's not absolutely necessary. People may recall you were "drinking" alcohol after you finally let everybody know, and wonder what's up with that. I just used "not feeling well" which was actually the truth. Holding a glass of wine throughout the party also worked for me. Most people are selfish and don't notice what you are drinking (not). In fact, people at work that I am not close to just started noticing I may be pregnant. (I am 22 weeks and normally look pretty thin.)
  • I have used the calorie excuse before with some success. You could also say you had your blood sugar checked and your doctor has some concern, so to help cut your sugar intake you had to decide between alcohol and chocolate....chocolate won. (That way if you are caught eating sweets, you won't have to come up with lie #2). You wonder if you might have a drinking problem and are trying to cut back to prove yourself wrong. Or finally, you are nursing a killer hangover from the night before.

• I've been using a pretty good story.  I just say I had a few drinks the night before and feel a bit hungover with no desire for a drink tonight.  It's working like a charm...until I hang out with the same people again.  Will have to come up with something new.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been wondering the same thing since I've been known for having a wine glass attached to my hand! 

I'm going with headache - I can't drink when I have a headache, just need to guzzle water, and I actually get headaches a lot so hopefully it won't raise any eyebrows?

• Not the most creative excuse, but I told people that I was trying to loose 5 pounds and that I was pretty sure I could do it if I limited my alcohol intake.  I justified it by saying that I end up eating fattening food when I drink. And that I am just going to try it for a week or two and if it works, I will think about other ways I can be more healthy. And if it doesn't work, I was going to throw a kegger or something.
  • My friend pulled this off very well at our house when she was pregnant but not ready to announce it.  She accepted a drink, pretended to sip, held it for awhile and at some point passed it to her husband who drank it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"