Military Families

so much happening at once!

DH and I are moving to Ft Carson sometime in December. His original orders were to report early Feb. Now I have to find a way to find a place off post by then. Not easy to do from Georgia when he's coming home sometime Oct. and I have a 3 month old. We have a dog and are looking for a 2-3 bedroom townhouse. Does anyone have any recommendations on places that are decent? i don't know anything about the area. Thanks!

Re: so much happening at once!

• There are actually a lot of townhomes here, and while rent isn't all that high, it's going to be a lot more expensive than most areas of Georgia are.  If he's at Carson, Fountain, Security, and Widefield are all little towns that are really close to base.  There are good and bad areas all over Colorado Springs, so it's hard to say that a certain side of town is decent or not.  The northeast side of town seems to have most of the newest housing, but it's also more expensive up there, and it's a good 30+ minute drive to Carson.  That said, we lived up there for a year and LOVED it.  It was totally worth the drive for DH to know that we were in a great neighborhood.

If you hate snow, I'd stick to the east side of town.  The closer you get to the mountains, the bigger the hail and the deeper the snow in the winter.  Of course you'll still get plenty of snow on the east side, but it won't be as deep and it'll melt faster, and the roads over there stay clearer. 

Also, even though he's Army, you are eligible to live in housing on the Air Force bases here.  They usually have a much MUCH shorter wait list, and their housing here is a lot better than Carson's.  We live on one of the AF bases, and we were lucky enough to get a single family home, when all Carson offers for DH's rank is townhomes and duplexes.  And we were able to get it same-day when Carson usually has a 2+ month wait list. 

• thanks for all the info leslie! those were all the things i was wondering about that town. i appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"