Austin Babies

my cousin stole my baby name

My cousin is naming her baby Jacob.

I don't care.  I don't own the name.  Its a very popular name.  I think its a great choice puppies rainbows sunshine

My mom is seriously angry.  She says my cousin is a b!tch.  She says that Jakob will always be first in her heart.  And she is very close with her sister (cousin's mom), and how will they talk about their grandchildren now?  They'll have to say My Jakob or Your Jacob.

Oh good God.  Really?  I told her that when she complains to people about this, she better make sure to tell them that I Don't Care.  I love my mother but I don't like the things she does or says sometimes.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: my cousin stole my baby name

• I wouldn't be bothered by this. Jacob is the #1 boys name and has been high in popularity for years.

Besides, it's not like your cousin's child lives in the same house with you.

DH and I have two female friends who themselves are close friends and share the same first name. When we talk about either of these friends, we say something to differentiate the two if it is not obvious from the context of the conversation to whom we are referring. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's odd to have someone in the family use the name.  However, I agree with you that it shouldn't matter.  I think that's the risk we run when we pick the #2 most popular boy name in Texas for 10 years in a row.  I would have LOVED to name my son something else (Paul, specifically), but my hubby only liked five names.  Seriously.  Out of thousands.  So I let him pick. 

• Loading the player...
  • M_and_m and I both have husbands with the same first name. We always know who the other person is talking about. I think we might have gotten confused twice in the last 4 or so years. There are so many people in our lives with the same names, it really as big of an issue as she's making it out to be.

Personally, I think the name Stacy should make a comeback.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You could make up some fun pre-fixes to tell them apart.  In my family, we had a Big Tommy and a Little Tommy - they were father and son, but since your son is older he could be big and the cousin could be little.  Also in my husband's family there are three generations of Stan - Big Stan (grandfather), Middle Stan (father), and Little Stan (son).  Middle Stan did used to be little Stan but now his nickname has changed.  Just a thought.

Amy

• Its even more ridiculous because we already have a ton of repeat names in my family.  My son is Jakob, then I married a man named Jacob, called Jake.  My dad is Thom.  I have two other uncles and a cousin named Tom.  There are two Bills....Big Bill and Little Bill.  We also have a Larry, Shari, Gary and Terry.  We've survived so far.

DH is known as Jake.  We have Jakob.  My best friend's son is Jake.  My other friend wanted to name their son Jacob but they decided to go with Jon at the last minute.  We manage to know who we're talking about, all the time. 

My mom thrives on drama.

• They need some more imagination- for real.
  • imageali-1411:

Its even more ridiculous because we already have a ton of repeat names in my family.  My son is Jakob, then I married a man named Jacob, called Jake.  My dad is Thom.  I have two other uncles and a cousin named Tom.  There are two Bills....Big Bill and Little Bill.  We also have a Larry, Shari, Gary and Terry.  We've survived so far.

DH is known as Jake.  We have Jakob.  My best friend's son is Jake.  My other friend wanted to name their son Jacob but they decided to go with Jon at the last minute.  We manage to know who we're talking about, all the time. 

My mom thrives on drama.

Aw.  I sowee for the drama.  I dunno.  It does kinda suck.  dude.  thousands of names...

but then again, i am reusing a name that has already been used (Sara-Kait's middle name) and my DH's mom is maaaad because it is the same name as one of his cousins that they feel get special treatment in the family, plus, she argues why couldn't I choose HER middle name if I was gonna do something like that?

I gave my dad the honor of giving this kid a middle name...and [i believe] the name is in honor of someone in my dad's family that has passed.  *bleh*

Hey...you can always saaaaay:

"C-Jacob" vs. "K-Jakob"

"Jacob with a C" vs "Jakob with a K"

"JC" vs "JK"

...to differentiate : )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"