Military Families
Options

BAH Question

I should know this but after living in housing for 2 years and not seeing the BAH in the paycheck I forgot.

how is BAH paid.  Is the BAH you get on the 1st paycheck for the previous 2 weeks or is for the next 2 weeks?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: BAH Question

• Options
    It's spread out over both paychecks.
  • Options
    You're always paid for work you've already done.  Military pay checks are divided into "mid-month pay" and "end of month pay."  The check on the 15th is pay for the first 15 days of the month.  The check on the 28th/30th/31st is the pay for the last part of the month.  The BAH is also divided between the two.  So if you get $1000 in BAH, you get $500 of it in the mid-month pay check and $500 in the end-of-month paycheck.  But really, it all comes out in the wash since your landlord probably doesn't want to be paid twice a month - so you'll save up your BAH and pay him/her on whatever day you've agreed upon.  It doesn't really matter which specific days the paycheck was for.  HTH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh i know that. Sorry.  I said it wrong.

The BAH we'll get on the August 1st paycheck...is that for the previous 2 weeks or is for the next two weeks?  If that makes sense.  haha.

Im moving back into housing before DH comes back from deployment.  It'll probably be early October so will they take the BAH from the 15th paycheck or not till Nov 1?

Im trying to figure out the rest of our finances before he comes home. 

• Options

Technically that Aug. 1 paycheck is the "end-of-month" pay for July.  So it is actually July's money, not August's.  The easiest way to remember that is to keep in mind what I said before, "you always get paid for work you've already done."  It might be more helpful if you read his LES so you can see how it is all distributed.

ETA: and don't count on the military taking your money when they're "supposed" to.  Sometimes it can take a little while for allotments to get set up and for things to figure themselves out in the pay world.  So if you find that you're still getting BAH come Oct. 15 and Oct. 31, then you need to put that money in the bank and not spend a dime so you have it for when any pay problems get figured out and they start docking your husband's pay to make up the money they shouldn't have given you.  Does that make sense?  It might not come to that (sometimes things do work right the first time when it comes to military pay lol), but I just wanted to give you a heads up.  Don't get excited if you see your BAH in the Oct. paychecks and think you have extra spending :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

thank you. Ive been up since 5:30 so my brain isn't functioning.  :)

Oh yes.  Im WELL aware of them taking their slow time to take their money.  Never fails with us.  :)

• Options

The way they do it here, is the BAH they take in October would be housing's payment for the month of September.  We moved in early May, and they didn't start taking BAH/rent until June 1.  The allotment wasn't actually set up until July 1, so I had to go in and pay by check in June, but it's for the month prior. 

Of course, with almost everything going privatized now, it may be done differently on other bases.  I know down at Carson, we supposedly would have had to pay the prorated rent for the month of May before moving in, so they may take June's BAH and apply it to the month of June instead of May. 

Your best bet will be to call the housing office and ask how they do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"