Pennsylvania Babies

40 week appt. didn't even check me?!

I'm a little confused because today I had my 40 week appt. and my Dr. didn't even check me.  She checked me last week and I was 1cm 50% thinned out.  Any reason not to check me today?  She told me to come back Monday if I hadn't had the baby and she'd check me then.  I thought this was strange, especially since I told her I had been having mild contractions for almost 24 hours.  Anyone ever here of them not checking you at this time?

Re: 40 week appt. didn't even check me?!

• I would have been confused too since they checked you last week.  I was just talking about the checks with a friend today.  For me they were kind of pointless b/c so much can change in such a short amount of time.  I wasn't dialated at all at my 40wk appt but went into labor less than 48 hours later.  Other women walk around 2+ cm dialated for weeks.  I think the doctors are more concerned about water breaking and/or contractions that you can't really speak through before they tell you to go to the hospital.  If you're having mild contractions, it sounds like your body is getting ready!!  Hope you'll meet your baby soon!  Good luck!

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, that is kind of weird, but like Christina said, maybe she's just focusing more on your water breaking or you experiencing major contractions rather than your progress, since it can have very little bearing on when you'll actually deliver.  My OB checked me at 35w, then not again until 37w.  She did check me at my 38w and would have checked at 39w and 40w, but I delivered at 39w2d, so I didn't have those appts.  I do know, though, that they try to minimize how much they check you once you're in labor (even if your water hasn't broken - concerns about introducing infection, etc.), so maybe your dr has some kind of concerns w/that?  Just making random guesses here!  As far as your contractions, I had mild contractions for two solid weeks prior to delivering, and while they were helping me to progress (I went from 2 cm/50% at 37w to 3 cm/60% at 38w to 4 cm/80% at 39w1d when I went into the hospital for delivery), it wasn't enough to cause any concern w/my OB - she simply said that my body was preparing for labor and doing what it was supposed to, but until they became stronger or my water broke, it was just part of the end of pregnancy.

In any event, GL and hang in there - one way or the other, you're super close to meeting your LO!

• Loading the player...
  • P.S. I just saw it says that you're in Carlisle.  Are you delivering at CRMC?  I delivered my son there and will return to deliver our newest little one there.  We had a fantastic experience.  The nurses are phenomenal!
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My ob never checked unless i asked them to. I thought that was weird. Did you ask her to look?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"