Military Families

Another Annoying PCS ?

I posted this on MN too, but I am over here more.

My DH is Amry National Guard. He will be going to flight school in early october after he completes his state WOCS. We are planning on moving with him. We still don't have orders. Is this normal? I am concerned mostly because he has his field training in september and will be gone most of the month. I have never done a PCS before since we are NG and really don't want to have to figure it all out myself before we move. I have also heard horror stories about orders not being written correctly and not allowing family to move with the soldier.I don't want to quit my job if this move is not going to happen but with a baby and me working 2nd shift it would make field training so much easier. Am I crazy stressing myself out about this now?

imageimage

Re: Another Annoying PCS ?

• I don't know about not allowing family to go but I know about waiting until the last minute for orders. Unfortunately it can be normal. We know we are going to CA. DH was told today that it would be a July depart with an August report but they don't know when the orders will be issued. So, we are sitting in a hotel (had to move out of the rental house) waiting for the orders to come through.
  • Don't stress too much. He's not going to get orders for flight school until he's eligible for flight school, meaning he passed WOCS. and don't worry about not being able to go with him. It's a PCS so you absolutely are able to go with him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • For some reason, I was thinking most of our friends that were guard that did flight school, had to go to WOCS at Ft. Rucker where the flight school is, but maybe not. But if it helps, don't worry about finding a place once you get to Rucker. When DH pcs'd there (before we got married) he found a townhouse the first day and could move in. The realtors are so used to renters coming just for flight school that there is an abundance of housing available (off post at least, the on post houses aren't too impressive but the post is working on renovating). And I have never heard of a family not getting to move with the solider for flight school, although not all wives decide to come. But it's a long time, especially if there is a long wait between courses (which there almost always is).

• Yea most of the guys that got selected are going to WOCS in Ft. Rucker but the state started a WOCS program that they do in place of drill weekends in order to save money and he had to go to that one.
    imageimage
  • imagenewguardwife:
    Yea most of the guys that got selected are going to WOCS in Ft. Rucker but the state started a WOCS program that they do in place of drill weekends in order to save money and he had to go to that one.

It's such a short program (compared to flight school) that it makes way more sense to do it close to where you live anyway. :) I know at Rucker they have to stay in the barracks  for all but like one night out over the whole 6weeks or whatever and it'd be kinda pointless to go with him for just that anyway.

• I remember freaking out while waiting for DH's orders for flight school too.  I believe they were finally cut about 3 weeks before we had to report there.  Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to speed it up, so don't worry. 

One thing your DH needs to really stay on top of if you want the govt to move you is to let his unit know that for sure.  We wanted the govt to move us, and even though DH emailed that to the person responsible for setting it up, it never got done.  We found that out 6 days before we needed to report to Rucker and ended up renting a U-Haul, buying boxes and doing it all ourselves! 

You are probably lucky your DH is not doing WOCS at Rucker actually. No wives that I know of moved to Rucker during WOCS- they all came after. 

Good luck!

• Just from experience... His orders are very likely sitting on somebody's desk.... he may have to go to someone higher up to get the ball rolling. 

GL with the move!!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"