Military Families
Options

What Should I Expect?

My husband's dream is to join the Army. I just miscarried last week but the topic has been coming up more and I think we'll be ready to see a recruiter very soon. I'm really worried about him being away so long and I know we want to TTC again as soon as I recover. I wanted to know what I can expect being a pregnant Army wife? If they are deployed, how long are they gone for? Does every new recruit get deployed automatically or is there a chance he can stay wherever he gets stationed? I'm not really sure how it all works but I don't want to hear it from a recruiter's mouth. I want to hear from the women who are actually experiencing it. Any answers would help. Thanks so much for reading.

Re: What Should I Expect?

• Options
    Well, once he joins he will go to bootcamp and school right away.  Then he will get stationed.  As for how long and when he leaves, it will depend on his job.  What he should do is talk to people who are already in the Army and figure out what job he wants.  MAKE SURE HE KNOWS WHAT JOB! Otherwise, he will most likely get a job he wont like.  Talk to people, do research, and best of luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

There is a button in my siggy that will lead you to the MN FAQ page.  There is a ton of info there.  You may find some of it helpful. 

When he gets deployed and how long he is gone totally depends on his job and which unit he is in.  I suggest you go with him to every appt at the recruiters.  Ask questions.  Get everything in writting.  I also suggest you go to see recruiters at all the branches.  You may find that another branch is a better fit for your H. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That's great your DH wants to join the Army Smile

I say go talk to a recruiter asap. Just talking to one isn't making any promises to the Army, but the recruiter will be able to give you tons of information. My husband's recruiter was awesome. And has turned into a great friend to both of us. Hopefully you'll get a good one. 

As for being a pregnant Army wife...I would personally say wait until he's finished with BCT and AIT. It's rough (but it can be done). I was pregnant for a few days while my husband was gone and ended up miscarrying due to the stress of it. We waited until he was home and now we have a baby girl. I LOVE Tricare. I know a lot of people hate it and complain about it, but I am in love with it. That is one major perk to being pregnant and being a military wife. I have spent maybe $100 on my prenatal care and L&D. Wonderful Smile

Now for the deployment thing. Army deployments can pretty much suck. Most aren't short. My DH's next deployment will be 18 months and he will miss his daughter's first and second birthday. He will not necessarily get deployed right out of AIT. He'll be given a duty station during AIT. And that is where yall will go.

Being a military wife isn't easy. I will tell you that. Nobody should sugar coat it to you and tell you everything is all puppies and rainbows. We are in a war and there is a chance he will be deployed. That is something you have to prepare for and come to terms with. We all do in our own time. There are lonely lonely nights. Sleepless nights where you are wondering where he is and if he is okay. But, being a military wife is also great. We are proud of our husbands and what they do. They are serving their country and fighting to keep our freedom. 

If you ever want to talk just PM me Smile

• Options
    Is he pretty set on the Army?  I would suggest Air Force, the deployments are much shorter, usually 4-6 months.  I couldn't even imagine an 18 month deployment!  I already feel like my husband has missed so much (my entire pregnancy so far, our sons 1st birthday, etc...) with his 6 month deployment.  Just something to think about...
  • Options

imageMrsJShay:
    Is he pretty set on the Army?  I would suggest Air Force, the deployments are much shorter, usually 4-6 months.  I couldn't even imagine an 18 month deployment!  I already feel like my husband has missed so much (my entire pregnancy so far, our sons 1st birthday, etc...) with his 6 month deployment.  Just something to think about...

I would actually agree with this and I am an Army wife...lol. My mom and I were talking to a friend yesterday and he said that before my DH joined the Army he was going to try to talk him into the Air Force...but DH had his heart set on the Army and being a Combat Medic. 

OP whatever branch your DH goes into is great. It is an honor to be a military wife and would be an honor for your DH to serve his country. 

• Options

imageMrsJShay:

I agree with this too. Being an Army wife-married for almost 4 years and together for almost a year and a half of it, him missing pretty much his whole sons life, army screwing us over many times...I wish he was in the air force!  I did AF ROTC and in that short time, I saw that the AF is much better to families. 

• Options

I agree with everyone else. we were always told the Air force is much more friendly to families. It is so true.

Dh was able to be with me whenever he needed when I was pregnant with my son and got very sick. My ds was in the nicu and they allowed him whatever time he needed to be with him.

Also my dh is facing a deployment right after the baby is born. They knew I was pregnant and were trying to find him different deployments that would make sure he was hear for the birth, or tried to get him to leave now and be back for the birth.  Very accomodating.

I love the Air Force! It's been amazing to us and granted us so many oppurtunities.

• Options
    My husband was in for a year before we got married. We got married and then they told him that he was deploying. At that  time I was a couple of month along. He was gone for a year and missed all the whole thing including the birth. He came home when our first child was 4 months. Then we had our second child and he was gone then from when he was 3 months old to almost 2. He is coming home from his thrid deployment and has missed almost all his kids life. I would say go with the air force. It is really hard to be the only one at home and wanting to share everything with him. It also depends alot on the job as well. Mine is infantry so I expected a year to 18 month deployment. I would def go to every appt with the recruiter and ask question and get everything signed. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"