Potty Training
Options

So when can we say our DC is potty trained?

Is there a widely accepted definition?

Re: So when can we say our DC is potty trained?

• Options
    Not that I know of.  With my older DD, she started wearing undies at around 2 years 8 months and I say she was trained at 2 years 9 months as by that time we had stopped having daily accidents so for me, it is when there are no longe daily accidents.  My 2 year old is in unides but I still say she is training as she still has accidents daily.  I do not count nap and night time into this as many kids will train much later for this especially if they are deep sleepers.  I guess I would say no more daily awake time accidents.  Keep in mind, some kids will have accidents weekly or monthly for a long time and it could really be years before there are no accidents ever.  My 4 year old will still have an occasiaonl accident and she has been trained for 1 11/2 years - it is not often at all but every few months or or so, she may have an off day.  Some kids are great and never have accidents but some it just really takes a lot longer.  I carry extra undies and pants for both my kdis in my car at all times.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

I like your definition :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Who freaking knows?  That's my answer.  You see the people post on here that they did the 3 Day Method and haven't had an accident since.  So I guess it's easier for those people to say.  But for those of us who have taken a more gradual approach, or whose kids still have occassional accidents, I have no idea. 

I've also heard people say when you don't have to remind them to go anymore, they just tell you on their own.  Well, I know alot of school aged kids that still have to be reminded to go or go a set times during the day (bathroom breaks in school) and I definitely consider them potty trained. 

So I think just like for most milestones, it's a gradual thing for most kids and hard to pinpoint a specific day.  We put DS in underwear about a month ago and he's doing really well, and just this week started letting him sleep in underwear too.  Yes, he still has accidents and yes I still have to remind him or ask him if he needs to go.  But for the most part I feel like he's got a good hold on it.  So I plan on saying he was PT by 2.5, which will be next week.  I think that's easier then saying that he was PT at ____.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD trained very quickly (by the 3rd day), so I say she was PTd then, at 26 months. She's had only a handful of accidents in the month since, but I'd still say she's PTd. She goes independently 90% of the time and is dry all night and for naps.
    Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker,Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"