Pregnant after 35
Options

Newbie Here

Probably should have titled the post "Newbie and a Skeptic Here".  I'm a smidge over 5 weeks, 38 years old, and lurking this week on various community boards has made me feel like the jaded *old* skeptic I am.  We are not telling anyone anything till end of the first trimester (even my mother), Other than a bit of the bloat, I have no real symptoms to speak of.  I have no designs on maternity clothes until I am lucky enough to have it be absolutley necessary, we have not talked about names or all the other stuff that women seem to do so early these days if these boards are on track with the general pregnant populace.  It just all seems waaaay too early for that.  (This board seems a bit more reality-based -- hooray for the sage wisdom that comes with AMA).

Perhaps is it because I used to be an NICU nurse and attended hundreds of deliveries (and extreme preterm births) that I am focused on the risks and the statistics at this point, and know that there are no assurances much less this early in the game.  Perhaps it is because my friends went through this so many years ago I cannot even recall the happier facts.  Whatever the case may be, seeing the upbeat posts from women who have the optimism to have named their 4 week pregnancy and are shopping for maternity clothes before even having an ultrasound make me feel weird.  Am I a Killjoy?  Or, perhaps, the Pregnancy Grinch?

I'll take my cranky old slightly pregnant self back to work now.  Look forward (if all goes well) to getting to know you all.  Best of luck for healthy pregnancies - and hopefully more enjoyment that I've been able to muster thus far.

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
BFP #2 2/2011
Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Newbie Here

• Options
    Welcome and congratulations! It sounds like you will fit in perfectly here. This old grinchy witch AMA lady is right there with you. I waited until 14 weeks to tell anyone except the anonymous online community. With age comes wisdom. Or is it pessimism?
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options
    We waited to tell anyone with both pregnancies and as for picking out names, well, that has YET to happen.  I am usually a glass half full type of gal except when it comes to this, then I am cautiously pessimistic. Don't ask me why.  So, congrats and welcome!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We waited this time till after the 1st trimester due to having a number of mcgs.   I say do whatever the two of you feel like.
  • Options

Congratulations and welcome! I actually don't see anything unusual in your attitude. We didn't tell anyone until the CVS results came back around 12 weeks. I had to tell my mother at 11 weeks but only b/c I was on bed rest after post-CVS complication and we asked her to babysit. Didn't want to make up lies why I am in bed b/c it wouldn't be fair to her.?I started shopping for maternity clothes when I actually needed them.?

Hope your preg. goes well!?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Welcome and Congratulations!  I think AMA is something to be celebrated and we are made to fear it instead.  I am also 38 and enjoying every minute of this pregnancy!  (With my other 3 babies I was 26 to 30 years old and enjoyed them, but I am especially appreciative of pregnancy and all of its wonders now that I am 38) :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"