Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Car seat in Toyota Rav4

Hello!

DH and I are looking at buying a new car. We test drove a Rav4 and really liked it, but it seemed like the infant car seat hookups were really widely spaced.

Does anyone have experience with this vehicle? Would the seat base still go in the middle of the backseat? If so, is there still room for someone to sit next to it on either side?

Thanks!

Re: Car seat in Toyota Rav4

• We bought one a couple weeks before LO was born.  She came just over 3 weeks early so I wasn't able to do it, my husband had to while I was at the hospital.  He went to the police station for help (which wasn't much help, ugh!) and the lady there said that you can't put the baby in the middle.  We have it on the outside seat, but I'm still planning on reading the manual to find out if it can be moved to the middle, I would feel better with it there... But otherwise it fits good where it is at.
  • I have the Rav4 Limited and love it. Our carseat is on the passenger side and we have no problems. We had AAA do a seat inspection and they said that the middle is a bit too narrow for it. Also, if it's in the middle it restricts being able to put the seats down.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKsed:
    I have the Rav4 Limited and love it. Our carseat is on the passenger side and we have no problems. We had AAA do a seat inspection and they said that the middle is a bit too narrow for it. Also, if it's in the middle it restricts being able to put the seats down.

Thanks! We'll leave our's where it is then too!

• We have a RAV 4 and the manual said to NOT install the seat in the middle. DS's seat is installed behind the passenger seat.

The other day we went out with my ILs in the car. DH drove with FIL up front. MIL sat behind DH and I sat in the middle next to DS. It was a little tight (wouldn't want to do it for a long time) but definitely doable for a shortish trip.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have a Rav4, but the Corolla has the same problem.  According to Graco, the anchors can't be more than 11 inches apart, so our carseat is installed on the side in both cars.  If you really want it in the middle, you can use the seatbelt installation.
  • We bought the RAV 4 a few days before LO was born and my sister, who is a certified carseat inspector in our state, put it behind the passenger side.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We also have a Rav4 and you can't put the car seat in the middle. 
  • Thanks ladies! This answers my question and a few others that I didn't even ask! (One being whether or not it's safe to put an infant car seat behind the driver or passenger seats) :)
  • We have a Rav4.  DS's car seat is behind the passenger seat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"