San Diego Babies

Opinions on doctors

Hi ladies, we are going to be moving to San Diego sometime in the next month (waiting for orders). So, I am trying to research drs & hospitals so I will have something lined up. Does anyone have an opinion on IGO Medical Group? I would really like to deliver at Scripps La Jolla. I like this hospital mainly for the all private rooms. So I am looking for a doctor that delivers there and takes my insurance. My concern is that I will be to far along to find a doctor that will take me.

TIA for any help.  

Re: Opinions on doctors

• I really like my doctor (Dr. Jonathan Dunn), and he's with Scripps clinic Carmel Valley. He's part of a group that also includes midwives. He delivers at Scripps Memorial La Jolla. Ou experience was great, and I completely recommend it. The private rooms are godsends, and the nursing staff was great.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I go to IGO for my annual check-up but I am not going there for prenatal care because I have Tri-care Prime. My experience with them has been outstanding. I would highly recommend them. I am even thinking of switching to tri-care standard so I can go there during my pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • IGO Medical Group is amazing.  I had doctor Lauri Greenberg and in my opinion she is the most amazing doctor ever.  Unfortunately my insurance changed and I can't have her for this pregnancy. Best of luck to you.
  • I had a very different experience at IGO.  I was very disappointed with my prenatal care there, from more than one doctor in the group.  I am a Navy wife and needed to find an OB in San Diego ASAP and I chose IGO based on the fact that I could deliver at Scripps as well.  I ended up switching half way through this pregnancy because it was obvious how incompetent the doctors were in that practice.  (Granted, my experience could have been different because I am carrying twins and they clearly knew nothing about the difference between carrying one baby and carrying two.)  

I now see Dr. Stephen DiMarzo at La Jolla OB/Gyn (actually in the same building).  The doctors in that practice are affiliated with Scripps La Jolla, so I am delivering at the same hospital and they accept Tricare.  I have seen several doctors in that practice and 2 different midwives and they are all so great.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTwinMama83:

I had a very different experience at IGO.  I was very disappointed with my prenatal care there, from more than one doctor in the group.  I am a Navy wife and needed to find an OB in San Diego ASAP and I chose IGO based on the fact that I could deliver at Scripps as well.  I ended up switching half way through this pregnancy because it was obvious how incompetent the doctors were in that practice.  (Granted, my experience could have been different because I am carrying twins and they clearly knew nothing about the difference between carrying one baby and carrying two.)  

I now see Dr. Stephen DiMarzo at La Jolla OB/Gyn (actually in the same building).  The doctors in that practice are affiliated with Scripps La Jolla, so I am delivering at the same hospital and they accept Tricare.  I have seen several doctors in that practice and 2 different midwives and they are all so great.

The Scripps Clinic was on my list as a possible also. I am concerned about getting someone to take me since I will be so far along. It looks like they have several different locations. Do you see the same dr or different drs in the clinic?

• I always see the same doctor, unless I need to be seen on a very specific day and my doctor is on call or something.  (Again, I'm different because I'm having twins.  I get seen a lot more often.)  Every once in a while for just the regular quick visits (pee in a cup, blood pressure and weight) my Dr will schedule me to be seen by the midwife instead of him.  I never had a problem with it, but he's a great guy and I'm sure if I said I'd rather be seen by only him he'd do that.  I've heard some women in the office scheduling their next appointment, telling the women at the front desk that they only want to see their doctor and not the midwife and it's never been a problem and no one asks questions.

I've been to the Scripps Clinic in Carmel Valley once for a test, and while it's nice and has everything in one place it's a bit of a hike if you are Navy (no matter which base you are stationed at.  They are all pretty far South of Carmel Valley.)  The number for La Jolla OB/Gyn is 858-882-8350.  I see Dr. DiMarzo and love him, but I've heard great things about all the doctors in the practice and I also really love their midwife Alisa Smallwood.  She is very professional and really knows her stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went to IGO once when I first moved here and never went back. This was when I was still on birth control; I asked if I could get a recommendation to switch to a different type because I wasn't liking how the BC I was on made me feel. The OB, who I had just met 10 minutes prior and didn't know anything about me, then suggested that maybe she could just write me a prescription for some prozac instead. It seemed incredibly irresponsible to me so I found a new OB.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"