Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Surgery to repair tear from childbirth

Has anyone had this?  I tore in a weird direction when I had my son, and I'm thinking that after I have this baby girl in November I'm going to look into reconstructive surgery since we're not going to have more kids.  It's not painful, but I've been uncomfortable since I had DS 18 months ago... I figure there's no point in spending the rest of my life like this if I can get it fixed.  Any experiences/advice?

Re: Surgery to repair tear from childbirth

• Options

I tore in a bad way too...it's very difficult to have sex and wear a tampon. 

I am going to talk about it with my OB (a new one), but I think I'm going to have to do something after #2.  I'm interested in hearing others' responses.

• Options
    I did as well but I went to physical therapy for it starting at about 3 months after I gave birth.  I had several months of PT and worked on it on my own and I feel almost normal...no more pain...sometimes just more weakness still.  Basically there was a lot of scar tissue from the unusual and bad tear that had to be worked out.
    Praying this little one sticks!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Okay.

I've talked about this before on here, but it's comforting to see I'm not the only one with issues (though I HATE that other people have been through this).

We found out at my 6 week PP appointment that my stitches hadn't healed properly.  I tore especially badly during delivery, but the way the stitches healed, I had 2 holes (yes, 2).  

So, I had surgery to repair it.  I had to be put under, but I honestly didn't think it would be that bad (it was).  Then 6 weeks later I went back to my OB, and found out that  - it didn't work.

Basically, we suspect that I am allergic to the stitches they use, so my body rejects them.  So....Guess what - I had surgery to repair my vagina - AGAIN, this time using different stitches.  The main problem being that each time they have to cut the stitched up area open and re-stitch, because not all of the stitches are getting rejected.  

And then?  Yeah, I still have issues.  We will be doing another repair on my vag after my next kid (nope, not preg.), because it's such an ordeal to get it fixed.  Since my vag is basically permanently damaged, I will have to deliver via c-section.  So we'll do the reconstruction while I have the epi.  

Sex does hurt.  Tampons are torture.  I really hope that the next and hopefully final surgery makes a big difference.

• Options
    imageSmellygirl:

Okay.

I've talked about this before on here, but it's comforting to see I'm not the only one with issues (though I HATE that other people have been through this).

We found out at my 6 week PP appointment that my stitches hadn't healed properly.  I tore especially badly during delivery, but the way the stitches healed, I had 2 holes (yes, 2).  

So, I had surgery to repair it.  I had to be put under, but I honestly didn't think it would be that bad (it was).  Then 6 weeks later I went back to my OB, and found out that  - it didn't work.

Basically, we suspect that I am allergic to the stitches they use, so my body rejects them.  So....Guess what - I had surgery to repair my vagina - AGAIN, this time using different stitches.  The main problem being that each time they have to cut the stitched up area open and re-stitch, because not all of the stitches are getting rejected.  

And then?  Yeah, I still have issues.  We will be doing another repair on my vag after my next kid (nope, not preg.), because it's such an ordeal to get it fixed.  Since my vag is basically permanently damaged, I will have to deliver via c-section.  So we'll do the reconstruction while I have the epi.  

Sex does hurt.  Tampons are torture.  I really hope that the next and hopefully final surgery makes a big difference.

Okay, I'm never biitching about tenderness with a tampon again after reading this!  I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejgilesslp:
    I did as well but I went to physical therapy for it starting at about 3 months after I gave birth.  I had several months of PT and worked on it on my own and I feel almost normal...no more pain...sometimes just more weakness still.  Basically there was a lot of scar tissue from the unusual and bad tear that had to be worked out.

Seriously?  What did you do in PT?

• Options
    imageSmellygirl:

Okay.

I don't have anything to offer to the conversation since I had a c/s, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry that you are going through this!

• Options
    DG1DG1 member
    Wow. This sounds awful.  It's posts like this that make me wonder why people are so vehemently, angrily, emphatically anti-c/s.  Obviously, vaginal births have their own risks, too (to the mother and the baby). 

• Options
    I'm thinking I might have to go this route.  I had a 4th degree tear with DS - all the way to my rectum including some muscle.  Sex has never been the same.  It was uncomfortable in many positions and now that I'm pg again it is painful in just about all positions.  One of the OB's at my practice suggested I have a c/s this time around to avoid even more problems.  I'm going to talk to my MW about it at my appointment tomorrow.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageDG1:
    Wow. This sounds awful.  It's posts like this that make me wonder why people are so vehemently, angrily, emphatically anti-c/s.  Obviously, vaginal births have their own risks, too (to the mother and the baby). 

Seriously.  I pushed with DS for over 3 hours.  He was born not breathing with the cord wrapped around his neck twice.  My L&D experience was full of complications that could have been avoided if I had gone for the c/s when they asked me if I wanted one.  I completely regret the decision to deliver vaginally.

• Options
    imageSmellygirl:

imagejgilesslp:

Seriously?  What did you do in PT?

Some will probably balk at this but it is ligit AND it worked!  They manually work on releasing the scar tissue (and teach you how to)....they have to go in both rectally and vaginally.  It doesn't really hurt...just sore.  However, as I said, I am all healed with no problems now!  If you want even more details let me know :)

Praying this little one sticks!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"