Military Families
Options

Tricare Standard to Tricare Prime?

Hey Ladies,

I currently have Tricare standard. I just applied yesterday for Tricare Prime, I put down my top 2 PCM and will find out who is my actual PCM around august 1st. My question is should I make an appointment with both I put down for the first few days in August so I can get a referral to the OB I've been seeing? I'm not sure how long it takes to get one and I'm worried about possibly missing out on one of my appointments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tricare Standard to Tricare Prime?

• Options

You can't make an appointment until you are actually enrolled in Tricare Prime. Will you be starting benefits August 1? If so, you have to wait until August 1 to call and make the appointment.

The good news is that you can usually get a referral right away and it takes about 48 hours to process into the computer system. 

Is your OB mil? If not you may have other issues with that. Tricare Prime requires you to use the nearest MTF unless that facility is unable to accommodate you. If your current OB isn't military you may have to switch to one that is.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Unfortunately, you cannot make an appointment until you are actually enrolled in Prime.  You can call the appointment line or use TRICAREonline on August 1st.

Second, does your OB take TRICARE?  I am trying to figure out why you are going Standard to Prime?  As long as your OB takes TRICARE PAYMENTS (though he/she may have you pay upfront...) your only out of pocket expense is anything non-perionatal.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the exact same issue.  I explained my situation to the lady in the scheduling department and she didn't have any problem scheduling my first appointment for after the 1st.  It usually nearly a month to the first available appointment when making first appointments anyway.  Or maybe that's just a Maryland thing.  
  • Options
    I guess I'm an exception, but when I switched from Standard to Prime my start date was June 1st, but I found out I was pg on May 20, called them up and told them my situation and they had me come in on the 21st before my Prime was effective. But like PP said, the referrals only take about 48 hours to process so it's really quick. I have to go out in town because our base doesn't have an OB, but if yours does then you'll probably have to switch to that OB anyway. I'm kinda curious why you're switching since it seems like your current OB takes Tricare.
  • Options

I had a similar problem because we PCSed right around the time of my first OB appt.  My PCM actually rushed my paperwork for me and I got my OB referral in a day.

I'm surprised that, with you being pregnant, they'll make you wait until the 1st in the first place.  They like to do changes at the 1st of the month, but they will do them anytime if necessary.  Did you call Tricare and talk to them about it?

Married August 23, 2008!

My little angel RIP August 12, 2010 - September 5, 2010

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"