Special Needs

2 biological kids with Down Syndrome?

Does anyone here have 2 biological kids with DS? Or know someone who does? Jacob was my first and I now hear that my chances of having another is 1 in 100 (trisomy 21, not translocation DS). My original chances were in 1 in 700 so I'm not really all that convincied by numbers, haha! Also, if you don't mind sharing, maybe some of you were pregnant with a subsequent baby with DS but had a miscarriage or termination? I'm just trying to get a feel as to TRULY how common 2 biolgoical DS babies is.... 
image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 2 biological kids with Down Syndrome?

• ds #1 has Down syndrome and #2 doesn't. numbers don't mean anything to me either.  i met a nurse who has been working with families with Down syndrome for over 30 years.  in her 30 years, she has only known of 1 family who had 2 biological children with Down syndrome.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a pediatric SLP, and haven't come across any families in the time I've been practicing that have had two biological kids with DS.
  • Loading the player...
  • Heres my take on it.. Yes now your chances are 1:100.. but ONLY b.c you have a child with Downs.. You are automatically thrown into this pool of women who have children with Downs and your odds increase GREATLY.. The way I see it,  your odds are still 1:700/800 whatever it is..

From what I understand its not very common at all to have 2 children with Downs..

• oh and unless your son has translocation Ds, i really wouldn't be worried.

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My husband and I talk about this ALL the time.  Our geneticist told us that the "number" would increase with another child, but the actual chance of it happening is very very slim. 
  • I don't know about two with DS, but we know of a family who, out of 4 kids, has one with DS and one with Prader-Willi syndrome (what my son Dean has). They're both chromosomal issues. Ironic thing? The mom is a medical geneticist! Anyway, I think they're the only family they know of who has that situation. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"