High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone else have pregnancy induced thrombocytopenia?

I am 33 weeks and my platelets keep dropping.  I have to see a hematologist on Thursday and they may put me on steroids to try and raise them. My OB says they don't always work, but it's something to try. If my platelets don't raise I may have to have a c section under general anesthesia which terrifies me.  Anyone else have this and what treatment did your doctor do?  Did it work?  Thanks!
imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone else have pregnancy induced thrombocytopenia?

• Im not pregnant yet, but I have thrombocytopenia- and my hematologist says if I were to become pregnant Id probably have to take steroids during the pregnancy.

Do you know what your platelet count was running in the beginning of your pregnancy?

Keep me updated on the what the hematologist says and good luck!

• I wouldn't worry too much until you've seen the hematologist.  I have ITP (idiopathic/immune thrombocytopenia purpura) which is a chronic condition and my platelets are never above 80. (Normal is 150-400.)  They were 69 the last time they were checked.  There's a good chance that your OB is going to be more freaked out by this than the hema and that your hema will tell you that you are okay.  Hematologists see this kind of thing all the time so it is something they are more comfortable dealing with.

I am probably going to end up on prednisone (steroids) or IVIG near the end of my pregnancy to get my counts up before delivery, but even with low platelet counts you can have a safe vaginal delivery.  They can even do major surgery with platelets around 50.  And prednisone and IVIG are both good at bringing platelet counts up.  Mostly I will be going on steroids or IVIG so that I can have the option of an epidural.

The only reason you might need general anesthesia is that you can't have an epidural or other spinal anesthesia if your count is under 100.  So if you did need a c-section, the only anesthesia they could give you is general.  And even though a c-section with general anesthesia sounds scary, it is completely safe and sometimes what is best for both mom and baby.

Honestly though, I would try not to worry too much, especially since you haven't seen a hematologist yet.  Good luck!  I will be sending good thoughts your way.

Married to DH since 6/30/2007
    Me: 32  DH: 32
    BFP #1: 4/1/2010 DS born: 12/3/10
    TTC #2 since 5/2014
    BFP # 2 : 6/16/14 EDD: 2/25/15  Missed Miscarriage discovered 7/10/14 D&C 7/17/14 Pathology results normal
    BFP #3
    : 10/21/14 EDD: 7/6/15  11/24/14:  Saw heartbeat! 
    Missed Miscarriage discovered 12/22/14 at 12w0d D&C 12/23/14 Pathology: Partial Molar Pregnancy/Triploidy
    ~~Currently benched following PMP~~ 
    **all AL welcome**

image image
    TTCAL January 2015 Siggy Challenge:  Animals in the snow
    Scumbag Penguin

• Loading the player...
  • Just Ducky-

How often is your OB wanting you to check your platelet counts?

• thanks for your responses! my count last week was 96000 but I am dropping about 3000-4000 every week so they are expecting me to be about 60-70000 at delivery.  I seem to drop a lot faster near the end (dropped 10,000 in 3 days at 38 weeks) so they are really keeping an eye on it.  They are drawing my platelets every week for now then every few days near the end. The only reason I am so worried is that my baby is breech and I do NOT want to have a c section under general anesthesia.  I want to be present when my baby is born, I want to be the first one to hold him/her, I don't want to be groggy, sick and puking all night from the anesthesia.  I am a nurse, I see all the terrible things that can go wrong in the OR too, so I guess that isn't helping.  
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The good news for you is that my hematologist said steroids work for ITP in pregnancy and are able to raise the platelet levels... unfortunately, there is no known etiology for gestational thrombocytopenia so steroids are not guaranteed to work. They are not going to put me on them now but my try them if my levels get to be around 70,000.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"