Special Needs
Options

Torticollis/Plagiocephaly Crawling Delays

My DD is 9 months old and shows no interest in crawling and only rolls from back to belly when sleeping.  I was just wondering if there were any other Torticollis/Plagiocephaly mom?s having the same issue?  We are still in PT and I can tell they are a little concerned with her progress.  Who knows where we will go from here?

Re: Torticollis/Plagiocephaly Crawling Delays

• Options

Interesting you mention this ... my son is 6 month and has Torticolis w/ Plagio / Brachycephaly. He's in a helmet now and we have a couple more weeks before he 'graduates' out of it. 

I was starting to wonder too. He doesn't roll over either way or even on his side (except in sleep once & awhile). The weird thing is he started rolling tummy to back around 3 months (early I guess!) but now he doesn't even attempt to ... like he unlearned it. Same with rolling onto his sides.. he did a month or so ago but not anymore. He also hates sitting (tripod position is a no go) he straightens his legs out because he likes to stand (assisted of course). I wonder if it's the helmet ... did your LO have a band or helmet?

We'll be right where you are at the rate we're going :) 

• Options

Yes, we were in a helmet too!  Just graduated (as they call it) with a 2mm difference instead of an 18mm, so we were pleased with the helmet progress :o)  Im just not happy with the PT progress and I know 98% of it is at home but the older she gets the more difficult the stretches become because she fusses a lot more and tenses up to make it impossible.  Im really getting concerned with her not rolling or crawling and having no interest in it when I see a few other children born within days of her going everywhere.  I know I shouldn?t compare her either but was just curious if anyone else with Torticollis/Plagiocephaly was seeing the same things.  So it may seem so?  Thanks for sharing and good luck with the helmet :o)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My DD had torticollis and mild plagio that resolved without a helmet.  She never crawled, other then when forced to by the physical therapist at 11.5 months.  Crawling is actually an "optional" milestone - it's not necessary to learn more advanced gross motor skills.  However, they worry about not crawling when it appears that there might be a physical reason for not being able to crawl.  The physical therapist was worried about my DD because she hated being on her knees.  She wouldn't get on her knees to pull up (she'd actually try to pull up with straight legs) and would scream bloody murder when she had to be on her knees.  So there were some worries that being on her knees caused her pain.  Turns out it was just a "preference." 

The good news is that we worked through it.  By 13 months, despite being consistently behind with all her gross motor skills during her first year, she was walking and was released from PT. 

No one ever said that the lack of crawling was from the tort, but I've talked to at least a couple other moms of kids with tort who had similar issues with gross motor skills, even after the tort was resolved.

Best of luck with everything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We aren't dealing with the same challenge, but I wanted to say that I 100% understand the comparison thing.  C was born 3 weeks before the daughter of my friend and her daughter is singing the star-spangled banner while mine can't even say one complete word at 2 yrs old!  I try not to compare, too, but know how very hard that is, especially at playdates! 

Hugs to you and your little one as your make progress at your own rate!  This stuff will make our kiddos the strongest, most confident adults, and that's better than the star-spangled banner with jazz hands finale anyday!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks so much for all the support!  My DD hates to be on her knees too; hopefully it will turn out to be preference because she stands just fine.  It is so difficult sometimes and it?s nice to have a place to ask other mom's with similar issues.  Thanks again and good luck on all of your next adventures in childhood :o)

• Options
    I would make sure you?re keeping up with the home exercise plan your PT has provided, as this is the natural extension of your LO?s time in therapy.  If you can encourage her to spend time on her tummy to strengthen her upper body, neck and core muscles, that may also be helpful.  Sometimes PT takes longer than we anticipate.  When my daughter began therapy I figured it would be 6 months tops, and it ended up taking over 18 months to get her where she needed to be with her milestones.  To follow along with your LO?s development, check out this helpful chart from Pathways Awareness: https://bit.ly/6NUpfi.  And talk to your therapist.  It may be natural for your LO?s history to be still be a bit delayed and need some time to catch up.
  • Options

Just a side note as a person who had torticollis....mine was mild and was never diagnosed.  It has significantly impacted me, though.  My head shape is normal, but having one side of my neck pull too hard since infancy changed my face over time.  One of my eyes is noticeably lower than the other and my face is otherwise asymmetrical.  It isn't scary, but it's apparent.

As an adult, I still have significant neck and back problems, and my movement patterns are pretty weird if you know what you're looking for.  I didn't realize until my PT and OT co-workers realized!  (I'm an SLP)  Even once the head tilt or other obvious physical signs are gone, please please keep working to make sure your DC has established good patterns throughout their entire body!  I wish somebody had done this for me!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    My DS has torticollis and plagiocephaly (but didn't need a helmet according to the neurologist at Denver Children's).  He has been delayed in all milestones and the pedi has even asked us to take him back to Denver Children's to see a development team.  He rolls over, but can't sit unassisted.  He just started to do a modified crawl in the last 3 days.  I wouldn't call it an army crawl, but he is going forward.  The bummer part is, is that we can't get an appointment until August.  It will be interesting to see what they say.  My pedi's concern is that he isn't making up ground for being behind even though he is doing PT.  He said that he is still progressing, but not at the speed he would like to see when he gets PT once a week.  So, I guess we are in a wait and see what they say mode.  Good luck!
    Baby #1: 19 cycles, failed IUI, and 1 + IVF 3-5-07
    Baby #2: 12 cycles, 1 failed FET, natural miracle but m/c at 9 weeks then another natural miracle that stuck! 9-30-09

TTC #3 - 4 cycles - no BFP yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"