Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How necessary is an infant head support for car seat?

Hello, 1st timer from 3rd tri here. I registered for this infant support for our carseat but didn't get it. Is it something that is necessary or can we get away with using a small towel/blanket?

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299911

Your thoughts?

TIA!

Re: How necessary is an infant head support for car seat?

• Our car seat came with one and I used a blanket for the first few weeks to fill in the gap.
  • I would pass.  What carseat/travel system do you have?  It probably has a smaller, modified version included. I would check that out first.

Babies are insanely malleable.  Even with buying that additional support system their head/neck will still flop out of that occasionally.  Or perhaps my baby just has a huge head :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMolly Jean:

I would pass.  What carseat/travel system do you have?  It probably has a smaller, modified version included. I would check that out first.

Babies are insanely malleable.  Even with buying that additional support system their head/neck will still flop out of that occasionally.  Or perhaps my baby just has a huge head :)

I have the Gracco FlipIt/Snugride travel system. There is a small insert but I have seen reviews (mainly of the infant insert) that says the included head rest isn't enough. It looks really nice and snuggly but it also looks like it won't last very long before he outgrows it and I don't want to waste $20 if it's totally unnecessary. 

I'm thinking I'll pass on it...

• I know it's hard to pass up these "must haves"....but do.  Save that cash, sister.  And if you REALLY need it after the baby arrives then you can run to Babies R Us and grab it one afternoon (or send DH out).  It's amazing how little you really need at first :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • imageMolly Jean:

I know it's hard to pass up these "must haves"....but do.  Save that cash, sister.  And if you REALLY need it after the baby arrives then you can run to Babies R Us and grab it one afternoon (or send DH out).  It's amazing how little you really need at first :)

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

I too easily fall into the "he NEEDS that" sales pitch. I'm gullible. Embarrassed

• I think it also depends on the size your LO will be- our little guy was just under 7lbs and 20 inches long- with the Graco Snugride seating, he needed the Kiddopatomous to support him and still, at just under 5 weeks, needs it. See what your LO fits like in the carseat first I suggest :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our car seat came with one. I think most of the new ones do.

• You probably just need to put a receiving blanket on either side of baby's head for support.  I don't think you are supposed to put other inserts in a carseat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCilley:
    You probably just need to put a receiving blanket on either side of baby's head for support.  I don't think you are supposed to put other inserts in a carseat.

Lurking from elsewhere, but Cilley is right.  Adding additional inserts that did not come with your carseat will void your warranty because these things have NOT been crash tested with the seat.  Because it goes behind the straps, the straps are now slightly loosened, and in a crash, the snuzzler can compress, leaving extra space between your baby's back and the carseat.  

Your baby really doesn't NEED this.  

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• imagecdobry01:

imageCilley:
    You probably just need to put a receiving blanket on either side of baby's head for support.  I don't think you are supposed to put other inserts in a carseat.

Lurking from elsewhere, but Cilley is right.  Adding additional inserts that did not come with your carseat will void your warranty because these things have NOT been crash tested with the seat.  Because it goes behind the straps, the straps are now slightly loosened, and in a crash, the snuzzler can compress, leaving extra space between your baby's back and the carseat.  

Your baby really doesn't NEED this.  

I was just going to post the same thing!  Stores always have their "must haves" lists and they bug me because there a lot of things on those lists that are not recommended for use by professionals, because of the safety hazards.

• imageMRosie:
    I think it also depends on the size your LO will be- our little guy was just under 7lbs and 20 inches long- with the Graco Snugride seating, he needed the Kiddopatomous to support him and still, at just under 5 weeks, needs it. See what your LO fits like in the carseat first I suggest :)

My babies were very small (Natalie was 5lbs 8oz.) and didn't need extra head support from what was included in the carseat box.......   

• imagemonkeyqueen:

My babies were very small (Natalie was 5lbs 8oz.) and didn't need extra head support from what was included in the carseat box.......   

This exactly.  My son was considered a preemie due to gestational age at birth, and weighed 5 lbs, 1 oz when coming home.  He passed the car seat test (the NICU sat him in the car seat for an hour and monitored his vitals) and didn't need any additional support.  I have the Chicco Keyfit 30.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"