Two Under 2

When will I become excited for this baby? ...hopefully not flameful.

DD was very much wanted and very much planned. The second I got my BFP with her I was in love. I spent every spare moment reading about her development, looking through the baby name book, deciding what to put on my registry. I listened to her heartbeat every night. I talked to her. I could not wait for her to be born. That pregnancy was the most exciting time of my life.

This one was not planned, but it is not unwanted either. We will be able to provide for this one, we have a lot of family support nearby, and we always wanted a big family with kids close together. In fact, we had planned to TTC in August so this pregnancy only came a few months early. 

I'm trying so hard, but I am just not excited. I feel awful admitting it, but I feel like I don't even love this baby yet. I thought once I heard the heartbeat or had my first ultrasound, I would feel bonded to him/her...but I don't. Whenever I try to picture this baby in my belly, I think "But I already have my baby!" I can't imagine having another baby and loving him/her as much as DD. 

My worst fear is that I won't ever get excited for this pregnancy, and when the baby is born I'll just feel like "Yep, there's a baby" and not really care. I feel so guilty already for spending 1/3 of this pregnancy in a state of apathy. Please tell me I'm not alone, or at least that I'm not crazy. I need some reassurance. I don't know how to feel.

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
Luna Valentine 4/25/13

Re: When will I become excited for this baby? ...hopefully not flameful.

• I spent the first three or more days crying after I got my BFP.  I was devastated, mostly because I felt like we were betraying my dd by getting pregnant when she is so young.  We weren't trying/weren't avoiding and we really thought it would take a while to concieve since it took us 11 months with dd.

I'm getting more excited every day, but it's no where near where I was with dd around this time.   I'm more scared and nervous than anything else and I still feel bad for my dd. I know I will love my baby when he/see comes.  I know you will too. It's just kind of shocking and overwhelming when our babies are so young.

• We were planning to start TTC a month after I got my BFP and I was in complete shock when I got the positive.  I do feel guilty because I'm not as excited but I think it's because I'm so tired with running after a toddler and being huge.  It took till about the 3rd tri with all the movement for me to start getting excited.  Now I'm just ready to meet my newest little girl and make DD#1 a big sister.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm right there with you, I feel so guilty for not being so in love and excited about this baby like I was with DS. I feel guilty for bringing another baby into the family, like I'll be cheating on my son! Honestly what helps me is watching birth videos and A Baby Story, seeing those sweet little babies and watching their mothers hold them for the first time brings back memories of what it was like to first hold my son and I get teary-eyed and excited every time. I am going to start taking time out every day to really meditate on my baby, imagine what he/she will look like, think about holding him/her for the first time, hopefully that will help me bond and get more excited. I know in the long run it will be best for my son to have siblings (I'm from a family of 7 kids and loved it) but I can't imagine not being able to spend as much time with him, it makes me so sad to think of it.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • FWIW, I told my doctor something similar.  I'm so busy with Jake, I don't have much time to think about being pg.  He said this is very normal...and that when the baby is here things will change!!

• BennyLBennyL member

HUGS to you. I'm soooo sorry honey. I felt the same when we got our big suprise BFP! My OB was really worried b/c I broke down in her office when I found out! Plus I had PPD with my first little one. I'm sorry...I know how you feel...but it will get better and your babies are going to be close in age and so much fun. It's really an interesting dynamic to have 2 babies so close...I wish there was more written about it. The ultrasounds will be cool, picking out names etc. And maybe you could find a way to do something special that is just for #2. Like, we might get a 4D u/s with #2 and we didn't with #1.

• The second I held #2 (who was also not planned) I can't even describe the love. It was so different - it was amazing. I told DH that I experienced such an incredible moment...it was like this little baby needed a mommy and daddy and out of anyone in the world she chose us. All she wanted was someone to love her and take care of her.

There is something completely magical about meeting this LO that chose YOU...as opposed to one that you chose to create (which is obviously wonderful too.) It has been the most profound moment of my life.

• So, with my first baby, I felt the way a little kid does about Christmas.  I was excited for months, could hardly sleep near the end, and every second of preperation felt like some kind of special, magical experience. 

With the second, it fellt more like Christmas as an adult.  The experience was still special and wonderful, but I didn't get so excited about it.  And the preperation felt like preperation. 

Of course, this means that when #1 was born, he had "children" for parents who didn't know what they hell they were doing.  #2 has more comfortable, laid back "adults" as parents. 

• imageTelyco:

The second I held #2 (who was also not planned) I can't even describe the love. It was so different - it was amazing. I told DH that I experienced such an incredible moment...it was like this little baby needed a mommy and daddy and out of anyone in the world she chose us. All she wanted was someone to love her and take care of her.

There is something completely magical about meeting this LO that chose YOU...as opposed to one that you chose to create (which is obviously wonderful too.) It has been the most profound moment of my life.

This is wonderful! I got goose bumps. I had the very same kinds of feelings as the OP but now that I feel this guy kicking all around, I am really starting to think about him and love him so much. I am starting to understand how I'm going to love him very much. I'm getting excited about how ds will love his new brother and about holidays together-like this Christmas with two cuties. I can't wait. It has taken this long though and the change has been slow but it has happened. Your new baby will be a special mix of you and your DH with his own personality and features. He is just as special as your first. I've talked to other moms about my feelings at first and they did tell me that it was very normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We TTC this baby and was still having some of the same feelings you have. It gets better, thats why pregnancy is 9 months long. By the middle I was picturing her and Finn running around, by the end all I wanted was to hold her. 

PLus I agree with pp who said that the second child's parents are more mature and laid back. VERY true. I feel bad that Finn had neurotic nervous parents as an infant =)

It'll get better, dont put so much pressure on yourself. There is nothing like your first pregnancy, but I have to say the second birth was so much more enjoyable, and fun. I bonded with DH even more, and love him SO much more than I could have imagined. I also see my son as a great brother, and protector, and my daughter is my little princess. its different, but great. 

• Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!  I feel the exact same way, then I feel guilty for feeling guilty.  I keep hoping that when we have the big u/s in a few weeks and we find out what the baby is I will feel a little more excited.  I don't know if it is denial or guilt for taking DD's babyhood.  I am just not into planning names, the nursery, or anything.
  • imageTelyco:

The second I held #2 (who was also not planned) I can't even describe the love. It was so different - it was amazing. I told DH that I experienced such an incredible moment...it was like this little baby needed a mommy and daddy and out of anyone in the world she chose us. All she wanted was someone to love her and take care of her.

THANK YOU. That's a beautiful way to think of it and I think that will help me a lot. I'll have to share this with DH. 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• I am almost 5 months along now, and just getting used to the idea. There are still some days, I can't believe this is happening. I just keeping chantting, "I will survive," (not the song) LOL. 
  • imageTelyco:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just teared up. 

252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • imagealli2672:

So, with my first baby, I felt the way a little kid does about Christmas.  I was excited for months, could hardly sleep near the end, and every second of preperation felt like some kind of special, magical experience. 

With the second, it fellt more like Christmas as an adult.  The experience was still special and wonderful, but I didn't get so excited about it.  And the preperation felt like preperation. 

Of course, this means that when #1 was born, he had "children" for parents who didn't know what they hell they were doing.  #2 has more comfortable, laid back "adults" as parents. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageTelyco:

Such an beautiful way to look at this situation.  THANK YOU for posting this; I'm crying now after I read this.  I feel the exact same way as the pp & you have made me once again realize how amazing this new little one will be & what a special place it will have in our lives.  Thank you for your amazing words!!!!

• I feel like my moods go up and down. I was in complete shock and denial for weeks and then after my 1st OB appt with the ultrasound, I really started to get excited. I feel like your 2nd pregnancy is going to be different than your 1st regardless if it's planned or not. With your 1st, your whole life revolves around being pg. With #2 I am chasing a toddler around and am exhausted so my mind is on other things.I loved being pg and I'm sure once I start wearing my cute maternity stuff and have the big ultrasound, things will seem more real. We always talked about 2-3 kids but now that I am pg again, I think this will be it for us. I can't imagine being pg and chasing 2 kids around. The nice thing about them being close in age is you get the bottle/diaper phase over with too. My brother and I are 18 months apart like our kids will be and it was so much fun growing up.
  • smerkasmerka member
    I has taken me until later in my 2nd tri to get excited about #2.  I still have my days when I'm pretty sure life is going to suck for a while, and then my little guy laughs and I know it will melt my heart to see them together.
  • I feel the same way about Baby #2, then I feel guilty for feeling guilty, and then I feel like I am failing both my kids because I am ruining DS' life by having another baby and ruining Baby #2's life because I am not as excited about him/her as I was about DS. Add to that the fact that I basically had the perfect life when I was pregnant with DS and now I have a lot more stress: taking care of DS, a hubby that travels more than he used to for work, and a father with advanced cancer. I told my midwife all this and she said, "Welcome to second pregnancies, momma" (in a very sweet way). Then she told me that her third pregnancy was unplanned and during a very stressful time in her life, and her third son is the most mellow and loving of her three boys. So that made me feel better.

I think it's very natural to have mixed emotions, especially when you planned for so long to have baby #1 (we tried for a year), and baby #2 was a surprise. Everyone I talk to says they felt the same way but once they held their baby, all the apprehension melted away, and you just feel love. Plus, what baby #2 will lack in full-on parental attention, it will make up for in sibling attention and having less anxious parents. I am in my third trimester and I still feel more stress about this baby than excitement, but I think it will change once the baby is here. I do love it, but it's definitely a different love than what I felt when I was pregnant with my son. Hang in there! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"